Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hog hunting

Was curious to know........... Who here would or would not go hog hunting in the pouring rain. My brother is in town and we planned a night hog hunt. I don't know if we should or shouldn't go. We are both relative beginners........I have taken a few hogs, but have only hunted for a couple of years. Does anybody have any thoughts, pros or cons????? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Personally i wouldn't go in the rain.
Hogs to me are like the big mean dangerous versions of groundhogs.
Fun to shoot, fun to brag about. But as soon as you go sit/stalk around in the pouring rain all night you lose that fun factor.
Take a rain check (pun intended) and try to arrange another hunt.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4623 Times on 2312 Posts
Likes Given: 4759

Never hunted Hogs before but looks like they are starting to fill in NY so I may soon! As a rule, beginning Hunters should always hunt with a Hunter with as much experience as you can find. Hogs being unpredictable, on the ground and fast could lead you both into a dangerous shootout or just a tusk in the leg, neither is desirable. Two beginners hunting together is dangerous especially if they arent both very familiar with the terrain and surroundings.

Instead, go to a safe area where you can both set some targets up and pop them to your hearts desire. More fun than explaining a gash in your leg or calling his parents to say hes hurt!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 928 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 715

I hunt hogs because it's fun. It's not fun in the pouring rain. That's when you break out the beer and ribeyes.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Stalking-No, I'd wait

With dogs-No, I'd wait

In a standard tree stand-No, I'd wait

In a nice constructed 2 man stand or blind-Yes, I'd go. Make sure you have something comfortable to sit in. A decent poncho will cover you, your gun, and your backpack, or you can buy waterproof coverings for your carry-ins.

A couple weeks ago I sat in a metal stand, no cushions, attached to a tree in a thunder/lightning storm and thought they'd find me fried, dyed, and split on the side, but I survived and stayed dry too.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

Liked 271 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Depends on how keen you are to get wet.As has been stated pigs can turn rather nasty and taking pigs on in the wet on their turf can have some nasty results if it turns to s&*t.

A better time to hunt pigs is after the rain as their tracks will show up better in the mud and you'll be able to tell where they've been easier,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

orangello Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I lived in and hunted in Florida 30 years.If I stayed home every time it rained, I would have found another passion.Hogs feed in the rain,often better than not especially if the weather is warm.As far as being dangerous,they are not until you are fighting them with dogs or inside a trap with them.Wear rain gear and shoot them all!!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Hooknose,

I would not hunt hogs in the rain for the following reasons:
1. As was mentioned, they can out maneuver you on dry turf and you bet on wet slippery ground should you get into a unfavorable confrontation with them.
2. Locating game after being shot on a dark dreary night is not always easy. And if injured a big risk!
3. Hunting in the rain is miserable and not fun on you and your equipment
4. Hogs Stink worse when wet!
5. They must be dressed our as soon as possible after being shot and that is NO FUN in the rain.
6. Not to mention with the game being wet, it raining and you handling a sharp knife is not a good combination!
*******NOT FOR ME! DRY WEATHER HUNTING ON MY END!*******
GOOD LUCK!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

If you think the odds are very favorable, yes I would go in a heart beat. I hunt in rain or snow or shine. I love hunting! If you don't think the hogs will be moving were you can get a good shot and you can stay dry. I would wait or get a pop up blind at Wally World for $99, grab a snack and some drinks and wait for a good shot!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

HELLS YEAH! hogs feed when they get hungry, rain/shine, day/night. go getchu some, just wear your rubber(s).

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

tri70 Likes This