Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Hog hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/hog-hunting-73383/)

hooknose 09-29-2012 05:37 AM

Hog hunting

Was curious to know........... Who here would or would not go hog hunting in the pouring rain. My brother is in town and we planned a night hog hunt. I don't know if we should or shouldn't go. We are both relative beginners........I have taken a few hogs, but have only hunted for a couple of years. Does anybody have any thoughts, pros or cons????? Thanks in advance.

Babyfacenelson 09-29-2012 06:45 AM

Personally i wouldn't go in the rain.
Hogs to me are like the big mean dangerous versions of groundhogs.
Fun to shoot, fun to brag about. But as soon as you go sit/stalk around in the pouring rain all night you lose that fun factor.
Take a rain check (pun intended) and try to arrange another hunt.

WebleyFosbery38 09-29-2012 09:47 AM

Never hunted Hogs before but looks like they are starting to fill in NY so I may soon! As a rule, beginning Hunters should always hunt with a Hunter with as much experience as you can find. Hogs being unpredictable, on the ground and fast could lead you both into a dangerous shootout or just a tusk in the leg, neither is desirable. Two beginners hunting together is dangerous especially if they arent both very familiar with the terrain and surroundings.

Instead, go to a safe area where you can both set some targets up and pop them to your hearts desire. More fun than explaining a gash in your leg or calling his parents to say hes hurt!

7point62 09-29-2012 11:35 AM

I hunt hogs because it's fun. It's not fun in the pouring rain. That's when you break out the beer and ribeyes.

Car54 09-29-2012 12:57 PM

Stalking-No, I'd wait

With dogs-No, I'd wait

In a standard tree stand-No, I'd wait

In a nice constructed 2 man stand or blind-Yes, I'd go. Make sure you have something comfortable to sit in. A decent poncho will cover you, your gun, and your backpack, or you can buy waterproof coverings for your carry-ins.

A couple weeks ago I sat in a metal stand, no cushions, attached to a tree in a thunder/lightning storm and thought they'd find me fried, dyed, and split on the side, but I survived and stayed dry too.

hairbear1 09-30-2012 09:42 PM

Depends on how keen you are to get wet.As has been stated pigs can turn rather nasty and taking pigs on in the wet on their turf can have some nasty results if it turns to s&*t.

A better time to hunt pigs is after the rain as their tracks will show up better in the mud and you'll be able to tell where they've been easier,regards

osprey176 10-02-2012 06:47 PM

I lived in and hunted in Florida 30 years.If I stayed home every time it rained, I would have found another passion.Hogs feed in the rain,often better than not especially if the weather is warm.As far as being dangerous,they are not until you are fighting them with dogs or inside a trap with them.Wear rain gear and shoot them all!!

Sniper03 10-02-2012 06:59 PM

Hooknose,

I would not hunt hogs in the rain for the following reasons:
1. As was mentioned, they can out maneuver you on dry turf and you bet on wet slippery ground should you get into a unfavorable confrontation with them.
2. Locating game after being shot on a dark dreary night is not always easy. And if injured a big risk!
3. Hunting in the rain is miserable and not fun on you and your equipment
4. Hogs Stink worse when wet!
5. They must be dressed our as soon as possible after being shot and that is NO FUN in the rain.
6. Not to mention with the game being wet, it raining and you handling a sharp knife is not a good combination!
*******NOT FOR ME! DRY WEATHER HUNTING ON MY END!*******
GOOD LUCK!

tri70 10-02-2012 08:06 PM

If you think the odds are very favorable, yes I would go in a heart beat. I hunt in rain or snow or shine. I love hunting! If you don't think the hogs will be moving were you can get a good shot and you can stay dry. I would wait or get a pop up blind at Wally World for $99, grab a snack and some drinks and wait for a good shot!

USEBOTHHANDS 10-02-2012 08:17 PM

HELLS YEAH! hogs feed when they get hungry, rain/shine, day/night. go getchu some, just wear your rubber(s). :D