Hog Hunt- A two for 1
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Hog Hunt- A two for 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Hog Hunt- A two for 1

I went on a hog hunt this past weekend in Florida. It was cold and windy both days and on Sunday the hogs were tucked in the heaviest cover around so we had to go in to find them.

My guide spotted one about 30 yards away and pointed her out to me. I had to move a bit to the right because she was partially hidden by a tree. Using my 300 Blackout with a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip, I set the dot behind her ear and "pop" she went down, then behind her I saw another hog twist, doing a 180, and she dropped right there too. The guide yelled, "you got two for one, nice shot".

I didn't think to get a photo of me with the hogs but here's a couple of the guide bringing them out for me.

I forgot to add: This was my first hunt, ever.

my-two-hogs-w-trey.jpg   dscf0264.jpg  
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 02-15-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add to content.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 1305 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 632

That's what we call Bringing home the bacon!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That's awesome, nice shot! (obviously)

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54
I went on a hog hunt this past weekend in Florida. It was cold and windy both days and on Sunday the hogs were tucked in the heaviest cover around so we had to go in to find them.

My guide spotted one about 30 yards away and pointed her out to me. I had to move a bit to the right because she was partially hidden by a tree. Using my 300 Blackout with a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip, I set the dot behind her ear and "pop" she went down, then behind her I saw another hog twist, doing a 180, and she dropped right there too. The guide yelled, "you got two for one, nice shot".

I didn't think to get a photo of me with the hogs but here's a couple of the guide bringing them out for me.
Awesome man! Perfect size for wild hog meat. I hun t hogs here in AR and I tell you, the best way to kill hogs is to get where they live.
I have to ask tho, why did you go with the .300?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Awesome man! Perfect size for wild hog meat. I hun t hogs here in AR and I tell you, the best way to kill hogs is to get where they live.
I have to ask tho, why did you go with the .300?
I love my AR's and with all the parts being the same except for the barrel, it was the way to go for me. I see myself only hunting for hogs so I didn't need a long distance shooter but I wanted something larger than a .223.

I was the first in our group to get the 300Blk, and it opened up some eyes. Since then, 2 guy's have built one, another is in the process, and another was going to do a 6.8, but after the hunt he changed his mind and is going to the 300BLk.

Now that ammo for the 300Blk is becoming available in more places, I believe there is going to be a lot of hog hunters going to it. I also have the option to go suppressed in the future, should I choose to go that way.

The guides had another afternoon hunt set up so they were in a bit of a hurry to get the hogs cleaned and on ice. I wish that I had some extra time that morning to examine the second hog to see if the bullet was still in her, but I did see that the bullet entered her right shoulder.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congratulations! Hope you get some backstrap and sausage out of those hogs...the taste is amazing.

You have the bug now, so you'll be looking at another trip soon!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54

I love my AR's and with all the parts being the same except for the barrel, it was the way to go for me. I see myself only hunting for hogs so I didn't need a long distance shooter but I wanted something larger than a .223.

I was the first in our group to get the 300Blk, and it opened up some eyes. Since then, 2 guy's have built one, another is in the process, and another was going to do a 6.8, but after the hunt he changed his mind and is going to the 300BLk.

Now that ammo for the 300Blk is becoming available in more places, I believe there is going to be a lot of hog hunters going to it. I also have the option to go suppressed in the future, should I choose to go that way.

The guides had another afternoon hunt set up so they were in a bit of a hurry to get the hogs cleaned and on ice. I wish that I had some extra time that morning to examine the second hog to see if the bullet was still in her, but I did see that the bullet entered her right shoulder.
When I said AR I ment Arkansas lol
But I do hunt hogs with my AR. I've also hunted them with .22lr and 12ga.
Be careful!! Hog hunting is addicting, and in California it may cause cancer..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Congratulations! Hope you get some backstrap and sausage out of those hogs...the taste is amazing.

You have the bug now, so you'll be looking at another trip soon!
Oh yes, the bug is set. I can't wait to go again.

When I got home on Sunday, I was hungry so I took a saw and cut a slab of ribs from one hog and put them in the oven. They were so good, but I should have done both slabs. I didn't realize how lean they were and one slab wasn't enough for me. No gamey taste whatsoever.

I'm waiting for my meat processor to call saying the meat is ready to pick up.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
When I said AR I ment Arkansas lol
But I do hunt hogs with my AR. I've also hunted them with .22lr and 12ga.
Be careful!! Hog hunting is addicting, and in California it may cause cancer..
Yeah, I caught that you "razorback". I've heard of people using .22's. How close do you have to be to get that kill zone shot?

The ideal situation would be to find someone who owns a big piece of property that is being ravaged by hogs and would allow a few hunters to come in and rid the place. They are hard to find, most having their own friends help out, some have trappers come in, the rest are afraid of their land or animals being abused by irresponsible hunters.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

deleted/double post

Last edited by Car54; 02-16-2012 at 12:48 AM.