Hog hunt

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hog hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Hog hunt

Tuesday night me and a few guys from work are going to go down to some land one of them owns since its ramped with hogs. I plan on taking my RRA AR15 and 1911 as back up. My question is, what ammo should I be looking towards. I have 60 rounds of 69 grain sierra matchking along with like 90 rounds of umc that I had laying around and I'm thinking those should be okay for my AR but I'm clueless on my 1911. Should I go with hollow points or FMJs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The best for hogs fusion 62 gr, and of the differnt loads from many companies loading the with barnes tsx, super x-64gr power point, fed 60gr partition or there 64gr power-shok, and hornadys GMX. Just pick a stronger bullet deign for "bigger" game. NO match king full fmj would not be the best ether. Still work on good shot placement.

For your 45 try to find a bonded or hard semi wadcutter if you can. Don't guess you have any BB hardcast ammo around you. Just pick a heavy bonded bullet. Most any and all make load them now.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
The best for hogs fusion 62 gr, and of the differnt loads from many companies loading the with barnes tsx, super x-64gr power point, fed 60gr partition or there 64gr power-shok, and hornadys GMX. Just pick a stronger bullet deign for "bigger" game. NO match king full fmj would not be the best ether. Still work on good shot placement.

For your 45 try to find a bonded or hard semi wadcutter if you can. Don't guess you have any BB hardcast ammo around you. Just pick a heavy bonded bullet. Most any and all make load them now.
The match kings are the BTHP versions that I just found randomly in my safe. I'll go pick up some fusion's Friday when I get paid and will look at 45 ammo as well

Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Hunting hogs is sometimes more excitement than most hunters like, your .223 round sounds fine but you'll be shooting more than once anyway but your side arm you'll want the hottest, meanest , biggest stop-in-it's-track round you can get.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

gmaster456 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Hog vs. 45 acp (this hog was first foul shot with a rifle .223 I believe . Look at his left rear leg)

*Graphic Hunting Video http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658
Learn the Hogz anatomy for killing shot placement... Their hearts/lungs are a bit lower and rearward to their shoulder. For a brain shot behind the ear is the sweet spot. A bullet (pistol esp.) needs to cross both hemispheres of the brain for one shot lethality. My daughter killed her first Texas hog this year with her 22 magnum with a behind the ear shot DRT from 75 yards.

Myself, I like to neck shoot them with rifle..

Good Karma
ST~

A "head" on shot can glance off the skull due to the slope of the hogs head.. If the bullet does penetrate it will need to rattle around. If it is a clean through and through "head on" there is high likelyness that the fight will still remain in the hog for a period of time.

Become steel or get cut.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

We ended up not seeing any hogs but went to town on coyotes. I do appreciate the help though, as I'll use this info later on when I get time to go on another hunt and hopefully snag one

Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Hog vs. 45 acp (this hog was first foul shot with a rifle .223 I believe . Look at his left rear leg)

*Graphic Hunting Video http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658

Learn the Hogz anatomy for killing shot placement... Their hearts/lungs are a bit lower and rearward to their shoulder. For a brain shot behind the ear is the sweet spot. A bullet (pistol esp.) needs to cross both hemispheres of the brain for one shot lethality. My daughter killed her first Texas hog this year with her 22 magnum with a behind the ear shot DRT from 75 yards.

Myself, I like to neck shoot them with rifle..

Good Karma
ST~

A "head" on shot can glance off the skull due to the slope of the hogs head.. If the bullet does penetrate it will need to rattle around. If it is a clean through and through "head on" there is high likelyness that the fight will still remain in the hog for a period of time.

Holy cow man, that was crazy.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

62gn m855, 50 yards 14.5" barrel, dead right there

dfergus8

Wiebelhaus Likes This