Hog bait! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hog bait!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Hog food.................

The question should be. What a Hog won't eat.................If you add desiel to the food, your not looking to eat the meat off your kill, we have catfish that live in some places that taste like the decontaminated barges in the slip.........As the old saying goes, you don't crap where you eat..................AND YOU SURE AS HELL DON'T DIG Your drinking well down hill from the out house...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

I am with DOC on his PVC Tube Feeder.

We use them in Texas with simply shelled corn! And the pigs come there every day to roll the thing around on the ground and feed on the corn that falls out of the holes when the roll it.
Not only that we night hunt in Texas and can sleep in the deer stand and the sound of them rolling it around on the ground is like an alarm clock.

But you can put several of these tube feeders out in the exact areas that you want and as the movie says "They Will Come". Believe me a pig can smell fresh corn from a long way off even without any additional additives. And once they find it there each time the come they will be back.

On occasion we have had large Bucks come in and push them around like a toy with their antlers and eat the corn that falls out, once they know they are there and feel secure in the area.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

Okay, I have more questions......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Only corn , water and a couple cheap beers poured in. Let sit in the sun a couple days and into a holding pen trap..
Does the beer keep the deer from eating it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
This is what we do, cap each end of the pipe and anchor one end to a tree or big log. I tend to hold my fire for a while, let em root around and enjoy themselves because sometimes the older bigger boars will hang back for a while. You don't get old rushing into things
Is the meat okay from the older, bigger boars? It seems like it would be tougher and not as tasty as a younger hog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
The question should be. What a Hog won't eat.................If you add desiel to the food, your not looking to eat the meat off your kill, we have catfish that live in some places that taste like the decontaminated barges in the slip.........As the old saying goes, you don't crap where you eat..................AND YOU SURE AS HELL DON'T DIG Your drinking well down hill from the out house...........
So you can't eat the meat off the hog who eats diesel laced food? I am still amazed a hog will eat food with diesel on it. Damn!!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #24

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay, I have more questions......

Does the beer keep the deer from eating it?

Is the meat okay from the older, bigger boars? It seems like it would be tougher and not as tasty as a younger hog.

So you can't eat the meat off the hog who eats diesel laced food? I am still amazed a hog will eat food with diesel on it. Damn!!
I am sure you could eat the meat from a big boar hog but most people dont. When I have gone hog hunting with friends in south Georgia we killed the big ones and caught up the one up to about 30 lbs and put in a pen to clean them out. Most of what we did was catching them with dogs. I have shot a couple of big boars that smelled so rank all you could do was shoot coyotes off of them. I would think the deer would still eat the corn but from what I have seen hunting in NC deer wan the corn to be dry and wont touch it once it sprouts so I dunno about that. I have no answer about the diesel bit though,,,that is new to me.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Mother nature..................

Lol. As a corn grower, I can tell you the hogs, the deer, and especialy the crows will eat corn sprouts. I've seen crows pull the sprout and eat the seed. Funny as all get out is when you see the hogs and chickens eat the mash from the still.................Or as I did when I put a gallon jug of prunes to ferment for 3 months, then fed it to our breeded boar........I laughed till I cried, Then I had to clean the mess..................Just do a little research on the wild hog meat and the parasites they contain, same as old bears. Not fully cooked will get you SICK..... If you can get past the smell.................... Remember this, a hogs nose can smell food from alot futher than a dogs nose................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #26
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We tried the type of feeder you pictured and it don't work because the hogs would knock it down by pushing on the legs. We have had to suspend our feeders from trees or from cables between trees to keep them from knocking them down.
A D9 Caterpillar would have a tough time bending the legs I welded together for my feeder's. I've gone through the busted feeders problem before,and now,I just make my own legs for the feeder's.
I also beat four 2 ft pieces of 5/8" rebar at angles in each of the bases on the legs.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Quote:

I'll shoot em, but I don't eat em. I give the meat to my buds or people who want it or need it or drag it off to feed the buzzards.

I get my pork at the supermarket.

Last edited by 7point62; 04-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

We eat anything under 150 lbs. If they are bigger,they are coyote/buzzard bait.
They are pretty nasty tasting if they are bigger than that.
I prefer to eat the 25-50 pounders!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I'll shoot em, but I don't eat em. I give the meat to my buds or people who want it or need it or drag it off to feed the buzzards.

I get my pork at the supermarket.
Why?..................

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #30

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Why?..................
Wild hogs and esp boars can be terribly gamey and infected with all sorts of worms and parasites.