Hog bait!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hog bait!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hog bait!

Just put out some very rotten corn!! I have 2 5gallon buckets of corn I put in each a gallon of milk, water, kool aid mix, I saved all of my banana peels and orange skins and put them in there with old fish left overs and raw chicken scraps... Let sit for month and a half... Smelled pretty rotten ... What you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Should work... I've used corn soaked in Milwaukee's Best beer that was very productive...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you heard of people putting a little diesel on their corn? I have not tried it, but I have heard several say they have.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7792 Times on 4679 Posts
Likes Given: 9792

What does diesel add to the mix.

I had no idea pigs ate rotten, rancid food. I knew they ate scraps all thrown together but rancid............???

Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Never heard of putting diesel in the corn. At $4.15 a gallon I don't think I'd be feeding it to pigs. But corn is good and pour some of that sow-in-estrus urine stuff around. I don't know about rotten, month-old chicken and fish scraps...they're ominivores but 80-90% or ther diet is vegetation/crops. Orange & banana peels would work...

Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #6

Liked 416 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What does diesel add to the mix.

I had no idea pigs ate rotten, rancid food. I knew they ate scraps all thrown together but rancid............???
You'd be surprised then at what pigs will eat.

They're basically a mobile garbage bin in the wild and will eat anything from vegetation to rotten animal carcasses that are basically nothing more than a putrefying rotting mess with maggots moving in it.

During Summer out West we just shoot them and leave them because you don't know what they've been into and generally they smell something shocking in any case but around here during Winter they get into the vegetation,bulbs, and anything like that as there's a lot better choice of tucker and they're worth eating but I still am fairly cautious about them as they can still carry some nasty stuff.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

The smellier the better. Bears and hogs are the same in this respect.
BUT when I slopped the hogs on the farm I noticed they would not eat the grapefruit and orange peels! Slop trough would be clean but the citrus was just lying there untouched. They must not care for citrus.
I too have heard about the use of using diesel fuel but have never tried it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Have you heard of people putting a little diesel on their corn? I have not tried it, but I have heard several say they have.
believe it or not, but i have heard the same thing over the last several years now. does it work? i have no idea.

i do know in my area where hunters have deer feeders, many will fence them in to keep the hogs out of the corn.

my father raised hogs when i lived at home to sell. hogs are simple to maintain compared to most other livestock. very disease resistant, they don't need improved pasture land like cattle and horses, they can eat things that would choke a billy goat, and have a decent profit margin compared to other livestock when selling. hogs are very hardy livestock. very low maintnance.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #9

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

4 foot long section of 4" PVC filled with corn and beer on a cable anchor. Anchor it in the ground near where you want to hunt then use a portable drill to drill some big holes in the pipe. Makes a decent bait station that they can knock around and get fragrant corn out of by rooting around. Keep them in place for a while. Then you can pick your pig to shoot.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
4 foot long section of 4" PVC filled with corn and beer on a cable anchor. Anchor it in the ground near where you want to hunt then use a portable drill to drill some big holes in the pipe. Makes a decent bait station that they can knock around and get fragrant corn out of by rooting around. Keep them in place for a while. Then you can pick your pig to shoot.
i have heard of people making hog feeders like that before.