Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Hog bait! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/hog-bait-106376/)

dreweburns 04-21-2014 04:55 PM

Hog bait!

Just put out some very rotten corn!! I have 2 5gallon buckets of corn I put in each a gallon of milk, water, kool aid mix, I saved all of my banana peels and orange skins and put them in there with old fish left overs and raw chicken scraps... Let sit for month and a half... Smelled pretty rotten ... What you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Steel_Talon 04-21-2014 05:08 PM

Should work... I've used corn soaked in Milwaukee's Best beer that was very productive...

orangello 04-21-2014 08:11 PM

Have you heard of people putting a little diesel on their corn? I have not tried it, but I have heard several say they have.

winds-of-change 04-21-2014 08:14 PM

What does diesel add to the mix.

I had no idea pigs ate rotten, rancid food. I knew they ate scraps all thrown together but rancid............??? :confused:

7point62 04-21-2014 09:15 PM

Never heard of putting diesel in the corn. At $4.15 a gallon I don't think I'd be feeding it to pigs. But corn is good and pour some of that sow-in-estrus urine stuff around. I don't know about rotten, month-old chicken and fish scraps...they're ominivores but 80-90% or ther diet is vegetation/crops. Orange & banana peels would work...

hairbear1 04-21-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1563601)
What does diesel add to the mix.

I had no idea pigs ate rotten, rancid food. I knew they ate scraps all thrown together but rancid............??? :confused:

You'd be surprised then at what pigs will eat.

They're basically a mobile garbage bin in the wild and will eat anything from vegetation to rotten animal carcasses that are basically nothing more than a putrefying rotting mess with maggots moving in it.

During Summer out West we just shoot them and leave them because you don't know what they've been into and generally they smell something shocking in any case but around here during Winter they get into the vegetation,bulbs, and anything like that as there's a lot better choice of tucker and they're worth eating but I still am fairly cautious about them as they can still carry some nasty stuff.

JimRau 04-22-2014 02:33 AM

The smellier the better. Bears and hogs are the same in this respect.
BUT when I slopped the hogs on the farm I noticed they would not eat the grapefruit and orange peels! Slop trough would be clean but the citrus was just lying there untouched. They must not care for citrus.
I too have heard about the use of using diesel fuel but have never tried it.

Axxe55 04-22-2014 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1563600)
Have you heard of people putting a little diesel on their corn? I have not tried it, but I have heard several say they have.

believe it or not, but i have heard the same thing over the last several years now. does it work? i have no idea.

i do know in my area where hunters have deer feeders, many will fence them in to keep the hogs out of the corn.

my father raised hogs when i lived at home to sell. hogs are simple to maintain compared to most other livestock. very disease resistant, they don't need improved pasture land like cattle and horses, they can eat things that would choke a billy goat, and have a decent profit margin compared to other livestock when selling. hogs are very hardy livestock. very low maintnance.

SSGN_Doc 04-22-2014 02:44 AM

4 foot long section of 4" PVC filled with corn and beer on a cable anchor. Anchor it in the ground near where you want to hunt then use a portable drill to drill some big holes in the pipe. Makes a decent bait station that they can knock around and get fragrant corn out of by rooting around. Keep them in place for a while. Then you can pick your pig to shoot.

Axxe55 04-22-2014 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1563848)
4 foot long section of 4" PVC filled with corn and beer on a cable anchor. Anchor it in the ground near where you want to hunt then use a portable drill to drill some big holes in the pipe. Makes a decent bait station that they can knock around and get fragrant corn out of by rooting around. Keep them in place for a while. Then you can pick your pig to shoot.

i have heard of people making hog feeders like that before.