Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Help!!! What arrows should I buy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Help!!! What arrows should I buy??

Hey guys I'm looking to get some new arrows for my bow... Don't know much about them tho.. I'm looking for a good all around target/hunting arrow.. Not many reviews on Easton's out there.. Was liking the FMJ till a guy said they can warp very easily.. I'm in a toss up between the beman ICS hubter pro or the carbon express maxima hunter but if you guys know of stuff better let me know..

Hers what I'm shooting now..
Diamond outlaw bow - 28.5 draw 60 lbs
Easton carbon storms 27" with 4" duravanes..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

I sell a ton of arrows and my biggest sellers are Easton FMJs and Gold Tip Arrows . If your just looking for a good hunting arrow take a look at the Gold Tip expeditions , great value , and my biggest seller next to the velocitys for the 3D users . More expensive arrows are not going to make you any more accurate or a better archer, and since your just getting started in archery I presume. i would just buy a better value arrow until you get more comfortable shooting . I would use a 350 spine arrow which in a gold tip it will be a 75-95 I think . Its better to be over spined than under spined and there will be alot of charts that will call for your combo to use a .400 spine arrow , I will tell you from tons of experience that newer aggressive cam bows do not shoot under spined arrows worth a crap . Recently did a dozen arrows in 400 spine for a customer , he brought them in and needed them fletched and cut. I dont like doing this but Im not going to turn a customer away . I did not know what bow he had or was shooting them thru . He called me the following week to take a look at his bow because it was not as accurate and he thought it needed tuned up a bit . Come to find out after paper tuning this bow it was way under spined , he bought these online looking at the factory chart for his draw length and weight and they were under spined for his 63# draw weight @ 28" draw , The charts will get you close but there not always right for what your bow may like to shoot .

Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Ok thanks for that explanation.. Only reason I was staying away from gold tips is cuz huntersfriend.com doesn't carry them.. I got my bow from them with a bunch of stuff for a great price and would like to keep giving them the business...

Ik the arrows won't make me a better shooter but they will help with consistency.. Something I think my current arrows lack... I need new ones so might as well get something good for my money..

Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
Ok thanks for that explanation.. Only reason I was staying away from gold tips is cuz huntersfriend.com doesn't carry them.. I got my bow from them with a bunch of stuff for a great price and would like to keep giving them the business...

Ik the arrows won't make me a better shooter but they will help with consistency.. Something I think my current arrows lack... I need new ones so might as well get something good for my money..
True its your $$$ so you can spend it as you will , I used to shoot alot of competition indoor spots and outdoor 3D. I have used everything from cheap gold tips, cheap eastons, to expensive $200 a dozen target arrows in competition use and all of them find the X no matter what brand they are .
I guess what kills me most is of course these places want to sell you what they will make the most $$$ off of and they have never tried them personally . Easton makes fine arrows but you dont need FMJs to get the job done those are made the way they are to provide more penetration because they are heavier . Hell I shot my very first competition that had 164 shooters most of them sponsored , mathews, hoyt, bowtech , PSE etc shooting target rigs , adjustable sights and target arrows . I shot PSE carbon hunter arrows with screw in tips and my old Bowtech with fixed pins and ended up 28th out of 164 .
Dont let anyone tell you there is that much difference in a .002 arrow than a .006 straightness to make a bit of difference in the regular archers accuracy .

Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hunt and shoot ALOT. My bow is a bowtech assassin elite 3. I shoot 70# 29" draw. My arrows are 550 grain carbon fury by redhead. W this set up my bow is ibo 390, but it isn't how fast it is but how good you shoot, how hard it hits-faster speed means harder impact though-and having it properly tuned. That said I like the fmj's.....alot.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

I think ima take a shot with the maxima hunters.. Ill get 6 to start and see how they go.. I was going to switch to blazer 2" vanes.. U guys use them at all? Pro cons?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

I shoot em and love em. Pros-all good. Cons-make sure to get tall ones.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I hunt and shoot ALOT. My bow is a bowtech assassin elite 3. I shoot 70# 29" draw. My arrows are 550 grain carbon fury by redhead. W this set up my bow is ibo 390, but it isn't how fast it is but how good you shoot, how hard it hits-faster speed means harder impact though-and having it properly tuned. That said I like the fmj's.....alot.
IBO 390 ????? You sure about that . how about 330

Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

IBO 390 ????? You sure about that . how about 330
No try 390. The bow shoots 410 w 300 gr arrows. Plus I shot it through a chrono

Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
No try 390. The bow shoots 410 w 300 gr arrows. Plus I shot it through a chrono
I have shot some of the fastest bows in this industry and none of them will even come close to making a 550 gr arrow go 390 fps. Not even at a70# @ 31" dl . You must have a special one.