help with a trail cam
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > help with a trail cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help with a trail cam

ok so i bought me a trail cam after finding some real nice deer sign just out my back door in an group of apple trees . well i didnt get very many pics so i pulled it down and set it up near the house to test it out .well after pointing it at my back door and going in and out for a day i pulled it down to view the pics .well i have many pics of my back door now but nobody in them . seems there is a slow reaction time in the camera . i guess thats what i get for buying a cheapy .
can anybody recommend a good camera at a good price . something that works well and your happy with .
maybe we should start reviewing these things on the site for our own knowledge . i did see the reviews area but no trail cams there .

wrench

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

You have come up with one of the biggest gripes of trail cams of all makes, from the cheaper to the most expensive. Guys who have had good luck with their make will tell someone who had bad luck with their cam of the same make and model that they don't set it up right....on and on...

All I can say is that don't place your cam in a high walk thru area, place it in a high feeding area. Most cams have a delay in the initial pic and a programable time of subsequent pics. Even the ones who claim no delay in the initial pic are not 100% correct.

My advice is to set the camera further away from the area and gather the target feed to a more central area. Once the deer come to the spot and take time to eat, you will get some very nice pics no matter the make or price of the cam.

Some will tell you that you get what you pay for, but I offer that you never get what you pay for.

I hope this helps.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ive got decent results on trails by facing my cheap a$$ camera directly up trails instead of at a 90* angle. Tried to get the camera sensor to trigger as the deer is approaching or walking away from the camera. Gives the camera time to activate and hopefully still get the animal's photo. Crossing shots were a waste of time for me.
I had best results and images by placing some corn where the center of the image would be, but you may get a ton of pics of raccoons

After my cheapie blew up, I haven't got around to buying a good one yet.
My bud has got good results with a Cuddeback, but I'm not sure exactly what model.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a Moultrie D4. Here are just a few of the pictures I got with it.

The doe in this next picture was standing 8 feet from me just 3 minutes after the camera took this picture. I was in my portable ground blind and the deer had no idea I was anywhere around. I was tempted to shoot it with my .45 Blackhawk but didn't. I had got a glimpse of a big buck shortly before seeing the doe and was still hoping to get a shot at it. I never did!

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here are some more.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #6

looks like your moultrie is working pretty good . the buck in the first pic looks to be at a good distance away ,25 or 30 yards . that is decent range .

what is the little critter in the last pic ,the flatop is looking at it ?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwrench View Post
looks like your moultrie is working pretty good . the buck in the first pic looks to be at a good distance away ,25 or 30 yards . that is decent range .

what is the little critter in the last pic ,the flatop is looking at it ?
The buck was at least 30 yards, maybe even a little more.

The little critter is a fox. Here is a couple more pictures that I got of the fox and deer. Obviously the flash did not bother either the fox or the deer.

Last edited by Win73; 02-13-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you thinkl that the flash spooks deer or coyotes?

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
Do you thinkl that the flash spooks deer or coyotes?
I don't think it does. I have pics that showed the same group of deer hanging around for nearly an hour and they weren't spooked by the flash. Coyotes may be different, though.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

For a slower trigger speed camera, you will need to adjust your set up a little. Put it on a scrape, or point it down the trail, that way when the deer are walking in, it has time to trigger and take the pic while they are in view.

There are alot of options out there for a good camera. The new Bushnell trophy cams are great cams for trigger speed and picture quality, and they won't break the bank.

Another good option is the moultrie I-60. Great camera for the price, but it is huge to hang on a tree.

Another is the stealth cam. Little bit slower trigger speed, but good picture quality and a good price.

There is always cuddeback, but I do not like them. I have had horrible luck with them, and I have owned 12 of them. No customer service, and they are not a long lived camera. I know other people have had decent luck with them.