Help regarding hunting with a Mosin Nagant 91/30 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Help regarding hunting with a Mosin Nagant 91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7X57Mauser

577 Tyrannosaur or maybe a 700 Nitro Express...something capable of bringing down a hog...and the elephant standing behind it.
Don't forget the rhino behind that too.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #22

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
More stopping power than the big 7.62 Russian.......What do you use a .50 BMG ?
Actually, since the hunting is swampy forest area, long ranges aren't

needed. While I carry the M44 (slung) for speed, defense, and convenience,

once I switch to "harvest" mode, I opt for the slower, heavier, punchier

.44 Remington mag.

Bear in mind wild boar tends to get underfoot, and can break cover

virtually inches away. The M44, with bayonet extended, is good

protection when moving through unsure areas.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7X57Mauser View Post
OK, so this is the FOURTH time that you have name dropped your fabulous, miraculous, fantabulous, Remington 700 in a thread about the Mosin. To top that, you have only posted 10 times, I bet I can guess how many of those posts mention this mythic Remington.
The guy who started it wanted to know about hunting with a Mosin, not a 700. Many people have 700s, and for good reason, they are great rifles, but for crying out loud stick to the topic!
I wholeheartedly agree with him hunting with an old war horse, in fact I am likely going to have to take out my Finn M39 this fall just because he's got me thinking about it.
good thought 7x57, I think I'll take my Rem. 700 out ...By the way 7x57, I believe I spoke well of the M/N in my posts.I enjoy mine, thank you for your interest in my posts....

Last edited by sarg1c; 05-31-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Junior View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so sorry if I sound dumb. However, since this is my first time and stuff, I'd really like some help from those who hunt in North Texas.
I live in Fort Worth, and I'm about to buy a rifle for my first hunting trip, plans and preparations still in the works. Anyway, I've been trying to find out any info I could get, but my friend of kine told me that because of the rifle and/or it's ammunition it uses, I might not be able to use the rifle due to legal issues. I honestly didn't hear him clearly, but another friend too told me the same thing, though the same problem applied, no clear description of why. So I came hear to ask for help from any Texas Hunters who know the regulations of hunting in Texas, so if any of you can answer this question, and give a clear reason why, I'd really appreciate it.

* Why would a Mosin Nagant 91/30 be illegal to use in hunting in Texas? Is it because of the ammo? Or is it because of the muzzle velocity?

The one thing I'm worried about is muzzle velocity, cause the store owner said there are hunting rounds that this rifle can use, but I'd still like to know more as well. Any ideas on where I can look this up?
Craig, sorry to have captured your post with the info on the Rem. just trying to say hunt with the ole work horse if you fell like it. most are great shooters good ammo is available most anywhere. I load for mine so ammo is not really a problem. As stated before, it's not the rifle that is illegal, it probably the armour piercing or FMJ pills that are.. I msporterized mine and only shoot it for fun, don't want to hunt with it but that's your call. I'm sure it is capable of any animal here at home or Texas. What I've seen of Texas it's a great place for long range shooting. Almst all my shooting here in Kentucky is a little shorter range due to the hilly country but some places a long shot presents it's self...Have fun, shoot often....

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #25

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c
good thought 7x57, I think I'll take my Rem. 700 out ...By the way 7x57, I believe I spoke well of the M/N in my posts.I enjoy mine, thank you for your interest in my posts....
Sorry to be so harsh, but it just seemed as though the thread was being hijacked. I could talk to you all day about MY Rem 700 VTR in 308, and the previous 700 in 308 I had. Or I could talk for days about my Winchester Model 70s...but we can do so in our own threads.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #26

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
Craig, sorry to have captured your post with the info on the Rem. just trying to say hunt with the ole work horse if you fell like it. most are great shooters good ammo is available most anywhere. I load for mine so ammo is not really a problem. As stated before, it's not the rifle that is illegal, it probably the armour piercing or FMJ pills that are.. I msporterized mine and only shoot it for fun, don't want to hunt with it but that's your call. I'm sure it is capable of any animal here at home or Texas. What I've seen of Texas it's a great place for long range shooting. Almst all my shooting here in Kentucky is a little shorter range due to the hilly country but some places a long shot presents it's self...Have fun, shoot often....
There is plenty of ammo to choose from in 7.62x54R. You probably have to order it of the internet, but it's priced the same as any other 30 cal cartridge. In and about $0.70-1.50 a shot. But for hunting that's still GTG if you get a couple dozen pounds of meat for it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for that sentiment, and I have to agree with Mauser about his reaction. I don't believe I was as descriptive as before. So I'll explain more.

First off, I chose the Mosin Nagant M91/30 specially for personal reasons. One of those reasons was for hunting and collection. But the other is that the getting the rifle is on my bucket-list, and another is for first hand experience for research regarding a story I'm writing for a project I've been working on.

I would describe more regarding the project, but I don't know who else are story writers in this forum. Further more, plans for getting this rifle was lucky to even be made. I live with my parents, and they despise firearms with a passion. However, they're allowing me to get this rifle on certain requirements I need to meet first. So in this case, I was extremely lucky to reach that agreement.

As for the Remington 700, I have no idea on anything regarding this firearm, and frankly I don't care. I made my choice on the Mosin, and i choose to be stubborn about this choice. So if you plan to write more on that, I hope you'll respect that choice.

In regards to the ammunition for the rifle, that is what's really perplexing me. Just trying to consider the ammo variations between them, like grain and strength of powder, that is something that I'm having trouble trying to figure out, another thing is that ordering that type of ammo online is a suggestion I refuse to follow. I have had first hand experience with things ordered and sent from online, especially ebay. And the cost of shipping as well as other costs was too much for me, my finances are extremely tight, and online shopping is something I'd rather avoid due to first hand experience.

I hope that describes more on the situation I'm facing. I appreciate your suggestions an' all, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from after this message.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #28

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

It's been awhile since I was in the DFW area, which, if I remember correctly, is where you said you were. I was there four years ago in June and there were gun shows every weekend. Try checking at some of them for soft point hunting ammo. I know you can find someone who sells some of the Prvi Partisan ammo, and they have a 150 grain load that should approximate the old Soviet Service ammo.
Hornady also manufacturers a 150 grain load that looks great on paper. It will likely be twice as much as the Prvi though.
A dealer in my area (Nebraska) stocks some Russian manufactured soft ooint ammo that does very well in my M39, its by Barnaul, and lobs a 203 grain bullet, but it shoots where I point it and you have me wanting to take the old girl hunting now.