Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Help regarding hunting with a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/help-regarding-hunting-mosin-nagant-91-30-a-60748/)

Craig_Junior 03-21-2012 11:07 PM

Help regarding hunting with a Mosin Nagant 91/30
 
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so sorry if I sound dumb. However, since this is my first time and stuff, I'd really like some help from those who hunt in North Texas.
I live in Fort Worth, and I'm about to buy a rifle for my first hunting trip, plans and preparations still in the works. Anyway, I've been trying to find out any info I could get, but my friend of kine told me that because of the rifle and/or it's ammunition it uses, I might not be able to use the rifle due to legal issues. I honestly didn't hear him clearly, but another friend too told me the same thing, though the same problem applied, no clear description of why. So I came hear to ask for help from any Texas Hunters who know the regulations of hunting in Texas, so if any of you can answer this question, and give a clear reason why, I'd really appreciate it.

* Why would a Mosin Nagant 91/30 be illegal to use in hunting in Texas? Is it because of the ammo? Or is it because of the muzzle velocity?

The one thing I'm worried about is muzzle velocity, cause the store owner said there are hunting rounds that this rifle can use, but I'd still like to know more as well. Any ideas on where I can look this up?

tCan 03-21-2012 11:14 PM

The "spam can" military surplus ammo is not ideal for hunting. It is powerful, and very deadly, but there are better rounds out there for hunting. Look for some soft tips.

As for regulations, check the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's website for where and what you want to hunt.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

You will also have to obey your local and state ordinances. In Texas, I have a hard time believing things would be very restricted.

Chainfire 03-21-2012 11:56 PM

In many places, hunting with military surplus ammo is illegal, not because of velocity, but because of it being metal jacketed. You can buy soft point ammo for the Mosin-Nagant that is just fine. Any of the ammo web sites will carry the ammo you need. ( it is not hard to find)

Buy that Mosin-Nagant!

sarg1c 03-23-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig_Junior (Post 747535)
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so sorry if I sound dumb. However, since this is my first time and stuff, I'd really like some help from those who hunt in North Texas.
I live in Fort Worth, and I'm about to buy a rifle for my first hunting trip, plans and preparations still in the works. Anyway, I've been trying to find out any info I could get, but my friend of kine told me that because of the rifle and/or it's ammunition it uses, I might not be able to use the rifle due to legal issues. I honestly didn't hear him clearly, but another friend too told me the same thing, though the same problem applied, no clear description of why. So I came hear to ask for help from any Texas Hunters who know the regulations of hunting in Texas, so if any of you can answer this question, and give a clear reason why, I'd really appreciate it.

* Why would a Mosin Nagant 91/30 be illegal to use in hunting in Texas? Is it because of the ammo? Or is it because of the muzzle velocity?

The one thing I'm worried about is muzzle velocity, cause the store owner said there are hunting rounds that this rifle can use, but I'd still like to know more as well. Any ideas on where I can look this up?

Most states prohibit hunting with FMJ and armour piercing ammo. I personaly would not hunt around anyone using armour piercing ammo. Much too dangerous and will not expand properly for a clean kill on game., I have a sporterized M/N and reload with 125gr sp rounds and would use it if I wanted, But my Rem.700 in .308 is just fine.

JTJ 03-23-2012 02:46 AM

There are hunting rounds available for the 7.62X54R. http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=40&name=7.62x54R

Craig_Junior 04-27-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 748800)
There are hunting rounds available for the 7.62X54R. http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=40&name=7.62x54R

Yeah bud, I went to the link, but then I realized that ordering the ammo will cost more than it's worth because of S&H. So if you had any ideas on finding "Soft Point, Non Corrosive" 7.62x54R rounds, I'm all ears. By the way, I checked around some local stores like Academy and that store I found the gun. Academy doesn't sell soft points, even after suggestion from their own employees, and the store I mentioned ran out. Any ideas and suggestions will help.

7X57Mauser 04-27-2012 04:53 AM

Go to the Cheaper Than Dirt store...its near the 35W, 287, 820 interchange...or it was when I was last there.
There is also a Cabalas just north of there that will have 7.62x54R hunting ammo.
Stop going to Academy...they are fairly useless, might as well go to Irving looking for beer.
Another option as you're in the D/FW area, there is probably at least one gun show within 50 miles of you each weekend, get out to the shows and look for ammo. This is hardly a crisis situation.

sarg1c 04-27-2012 12:54 PM

Good hunting rounds are readily available locally. I b ought several boxes for my sporterized M/N mostly to get good brass to reload. If you don't reload, find someone to load you some good rounds that your rifle likes. I like my M/N but I would not really hunt with it, having a nice Rem. 700 in. 308. Good luck,have fun...

7X57Mauser 04-27-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg1c
Good hunting rounds are readily available locally. I b ought several boxes for my sporterized M/N mostly to get good brass to reload. If you don't reload, find someone to load you some good rounds that your rifle likes. I like my M/N but I would not really hunt with it, having a nice Rem. 700 in. 308. Good luck,have fun...

Take the old girl out hunting. I have a 700 in 308 too, and a couple of Model 70s in 270 and 7x57, a couple ARs, a sporterized Mauser in 243, etc. More than enough modern guns, and I enjoy shooting them and do it well.
That's all well and good, but I have still taken deer with my No.4mk2 Enfield and a Swiss K31. I have a couple on Mosins, an M44 and a Finn M39 and I am likely going to take something with one of them this fall just for fun. These old war horses are much tougher than people think and more than capable of handling a bit of hunting. Besides, it feels pretty good being able to handle game with an old open sighted war relic.

therewolf 05-14-2012 05:21 PM

Standard Mosin ballistics are very similar to 150 grain 30.06 rounds.

I would avoid surplus ammo for serious shooting, such as

formal target, or hunting, as cartridge uniformity is questionable,

to put it mildly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.