Help a newb sort through the hog BS - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Help a newb sort through the hog BS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hunter joe. The TC Contender in 30-30 carbine is a great and light combo. I picked up one because I wanted something light with good accuracy and that definately fills the bill. I have shot several hogs and deer with the combo and never felt under-gunned. In all cases, bang, DRT.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
Hunter joe. The TC Contender in 30-30 carbine is a great and light combo. I picked up one because I wanted something light with good accuracy and that definately fills the bill. I have shot several hogs and deer with the combo and never felt under-gunned. In all cases, bang, DRT.
Yeah it was a blast with the Contender. I was using the pistol and after the dogs clear away enough for me to get a shot, blaaam. I hit the hog and it wheeled and ran right past me as I reloaded and hit her again. Pork Chops.

The boys and the dogs took out after the rest of the hogs, while I was happy just to sit there and bask in my glory. Actually I was all wore out from climbing up and down those hills and couldn't go any farther.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Mt. Sannini; A 250 kg hog will put a lot of pork chops on the table! Most of what we have here in this part of Georgia are domestic hogs that at some time in the past years got out and are now wild, ferrell hogs. In other areas of the states (Tenessee is one) European / Russian boars were imported, have inbreed and from what I have read these tend to be a lot more agressive. Last Saturday I was crusing our hunting club and saw three groups of hogs that ranged in size from 3 kg, some piglets, up to probably about 50 Kg. Did not fire a shot. The largest hog that was taken on the property we hunt was probably 150 KG with tusks that measured right at 5 inches. (I loose out on the metric here)

We hunt (my group) with rifles as our shots can go out to a maximum of about 350 meters as measured with a laser renge finder. That is the extreme, typical shots are about 50 to 150 meters. Our hunting is typically done from tree stands anywhere from 3 to 4 meters up. That does provide protection form an upset hog!

The shotshells you are using are what we would term 00 buck,
spoken as double ought buck. What you said about hogs tearing up a field is so true. We have fields that the hogs have torn up so bad that it will shake the fillings out of your teeth when you drive through them in a jeep.

Four weeks ago we grilled a 40 Kg hog and had a feast for the hunters and family, the pork was excellent. We are planning for another grilling when the weather warms up a bit.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #24

Tuner, thanks for sharing my friend,

So you basically hunt during daytime since you are shooting with rifles right?
Our pigs do not move or travel during the day, they stay put in the dense oak and pine bushes. Here is a picture of typical pig habitat in our neck of the woods.

Must be nice to make a Killer shot with a rifle and a scope at 150 meters, not that easy to do here. Even if you wanted to scare the pigs away from one side of the mountain to shoot them on the other, it is not easy to penetrate the dense bushes where they hide.

Cheers and Regards

Last edited by Mount_Sannine; 02-25-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mount Siannine

In most of the states there are laws that prohibit hunting at night with lights. There are exceptions to that rule for some hunting that is typically done at night, raccoon, fox, coyotes etc. and these will vary from each of the 50 states. In Georgia get caught shining a light at game animals like deer after dark and you can anticipate a visit to the judge and a stiff fine or more. Again there may be some exceptions to the rule when working something like a crop damage permit to thin out a deer herd but that is the exception. In Georgia legal hunting hours are 30 minuted before sun rise and 30 minutes after sun set per the game laws. Just checked them and hogs can be hunted at night along with other specifically identified varmint / pest species.

From the picture you posted you appear to have some pretty thick cover. Locally the property I hunt has a combination of open fields and some secondary tree cover; we hunt both but do most of the hunting over fields. I hunt with both rifle and handgun and when using the latter I will go into the woods where shots are limited to 50 yards or so.

I saw an interesting TV special several months ago about Wild Hogs. They were reporting that the hog population was growing at such a rate that it was almost out of control in some areas; this was on a world wide report. The Hawaiian Islands had a serious problem because the hogs routed the land, which caused serious mud run off when it rained and that mud going out into the ocean was choaking off and killing the natural reefs. They could not control the population in the rough mountains there. Interesting.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I would not hesitate to carry my 30-06 bolt action to hunt hogs. That rifle will drop things much larger then hogs without a problem. The 45 will hold it's own with FMJs as C3 mentioned, you want penetration. If I could pick, I would take my 357 with soft points but the 45 will be fine.
45 will do the job but if you are worried about penetration try using the Cor Bon DPX. It runs over 1000fps out of an 45 ACP and 1200fps out of a 45 colt. They are all copper and maintains its original weight well.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #27

I dont recommend it but the guy that introduced me to pig hunting in Calif killed a bunch of them with a Colt Woodsman .22 rimfire of course we had some really good dogs. I always used my 30/30 and .357 back up.
He would wade right in with the dogs and cap em behind the ear I only saw him mess up once and it was very entertaining. He crawled into a manzanita thicket where the dogs were fighting a good sized boar. I didn't know it was humanly possible to crawl backwards that fast and shoot rapid fire and cuss at the same time . my buddy was good at multi tasking lol. I dropped the boar same at about 20 feet with 170 grn 30/30 to the shoulder. I was just a kid at the time but I had something to hold over him for the rest of his life. new underwear for everyone lol

Live free or die. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. I will give up my guns but I insist on being the last man to do so. John 3:16,10:10 Acts 11:7

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smallest caliber I've killed a hog with was .243 shooting an 85gr Sierra Game King BTHP. Ran 20 yards. I normally use a .44 mag, but have a .460 now and will start using it when I want to shoot one with a handgun. I carry a Glock 20 10mm on me whenever I'm in the woods, and wouldn't hesitate using that at all. I normally hunt hogs with my 2 favorite deer rifles. A 7mm Rem Mag or a .270WSM. I have used Nosler Partitions, Game Kings and Accubonds. I wouldn't use a Ballistic Tip, but I'm not saying that they wouldn't work. Hogs are just like any other critter. It's all about shot placement. You can shoot a small doe in the gut with a .340 Wby, and it's gonna run a mile. Does that mean that a .340 Wby won't kill a deer? Nope. I'd say hunt hogs with whatever you deer hunt with and you'll be alright.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #29

Default It's not a charging Rhino

I shoot them in the head with a sharp stick (from a tree stand). If I'm using a gun I aim for the ear canal...guess I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .270 for an ear shot. I've seen broken shouldered, double lunged 200 lb hogs run 200 yards and I hate chasing piggys into the brush. Damn snakes and chiggers and lions and tigers and bears, oh my! I do, however, carry a .45 ACP just in case I'm not as good a shot as I think I am or if I get ambushed by the pork bearing beast (never happened yet). Mass quantity and fast action? Buckshot with no plug in the shotgun. Even a 20 gauge will roll them so wade on in and start blasting.

"If a black cat crosses your path, it signifies that the animal is going somewhere." -- Groucho Marx

Last edited by BoomHS; 04-13-2010 at 01:08 AM.