Help a newb sort through the hog BS - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Help a newb sort through the hog BS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The 30-06 with the right bullet/load will be more than plenty for any hog you'll encounter. I do recommend at least at least a .41 magnum if you're going to hunt with the handgun.
Thanks for the info. I am only carrying the 45 as backup, I don't know how reliable of a threat stopper a 45 would be if I were to use it as a primary.

Darin
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Don't knock that 7600, my father in law shot one of those for years in 30-06. It's a great gun and I like the detachable mag.
Lol. Not knocking it. I love it!
Light, fast, accurate and the whelen hits hard.
It is probably my favorite hunting rifle I own.-----Gate
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not a single question about the rifle. A .30-06, as noted, will take out anything. If you want to spend money, upgrade the .45 ACP to .460 Rowland.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 4014

Quote:
Pigs are not as tough as some make them out to be. The key is penetration and hitting vital areas. .30-06 is more than enough gun. Since pigs seem to like brush a good pair of Kevlar pants will help. They are hot, but better than getting chewed up. They also afford an extra level of protection from a rouge pig, although I've never seen one

+1
I hunt hogs at least two days a week 12 months of the year. Most of my wild hogs have been killed with a .50 muzzleloader. Have also killed a lot of hogs with guns ranging from .22 long rifle to .35 Whelen. A .30-06 loaded with a 150 or 180 grain bullet is sudden death on hogs when the bullets are put in the right place. Put any bullet in the wrong place and you have a hog that will run off to die a lingering death. If the hog is broadside I put the bullet low just behind the foreleg. If the animal is at 100 yards or less the bullet goes in his ear or just behind the ear.

I keep a pair of Kevlar chainsaw pants in the truck to go after wounded hogs in thickets. Have been chased by hogs four times: Twice by big wounded boars, once by a boar that answered the distress cry of a wounded sow and once when I got between a sow and her pigs.

Many of the wild hogs here have Eurasian boar blood and some are genuine Eurasian boars. A friend was knocked down by a big sow that he was not aware of until the animal hit him. Luckily, the guy was wearing a .45 on his leg because the sow turned and came charging back. That sow had never had a litter of pigs. I'm aware of several cases of unprovoked attacks on hunters. One of these days someone here is going to get seriously hurt by a wild hog.

The heart and lungs of a hog are much lower in the body than those of a deer:

Dixie Slugs

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post

+1
I hunt hogs at least two days a week 12 months of the year. Most of my wild hogs have been killed with a .50 muzzleloader. Have also killed a lot of hogs with guns ranging from .22 long rifle to .35 Whelen. A .30-06 loaded with a 150 or 180 grain bullet is sudden death on hogs when the bullets are put in the right place. Put any bullet in the wrong place and you have a hog that will run off to die a lingering death. If the hog is broadside I put the bullet low just behind the foreleg. If the animal is at 100 yards or less the bullet goes in his ear or just behind the ear.

I keep a pair of Kevlar chainsaw pants in the truck to go after wounded hogs in thickets. Have been chased by hogs four times: Twice by big wounded boars, once by a boar that answered the distress cry of a wounded sow and once when I got between a sow and her pigs.

Many of the wild hogs here have Eurasian boar blood and some are genuine Eurasian boars. A friend was knocked down by a big sow that he was not aware of until the animal hit him. Luckily, the guy was wearing a .45 on his leg because the sow turned and came charging back. That sow had never had a litter of pigs. I'm aware of several cases of unprovoked attacks on hunters. One of these days someone here is going to get seriously hurt by a wild hog.

The heart and lungs of a hog are much lower in the body than those of a deer:

Dixie Slugs
Thanks for the advice. I have been doing a lot of research on a site called "texasboars.com." He actually autopsied a boar and showed where a shot needed to be placed. As far as getting hurt, that is why I posted this question in an effort to get educated on the subject. I learned a long time ago that I would rather look foolish by asking a question than to venture out ignorant and get hurt.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Tuner

I agree with jpatt that hogs do not appear to be as tough as one might anticipate. Over the past 10 years I have probably accounted for 15 or more hogs and saw a bunch more taken. Saw about 20 this past Saturday, no shots taken. Took 6 with a 10 in. .44 Contender and cast bullets; all but 2 were dead right there. Two took a second shot but that was my fault, not the best first shot placement. The largest hog I saw taken was shot with a ..243 Win. shooting 100 gr. Sierra bullets. Shot placement by the young hunter was marginal, a bit too far back on a broad side shot. The hog probably weighed 175 pounds and at impact made it five feet and it was all over. Too many hunters worry about the speed of a follow up shot rather then the accuracy of the first shot. If you can handel your equipment well and know good shot placement don't have a second thought. I would probably opt for 180 Gr. bullets in the 06 and 230 Gr. in the pistol.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #17

Nice thread, and interesting posts.

We hunt wild boars too in Lebanon and we have two species of them, the native ones that live in South Lebanon and another newly introduced specie that lives North of Lebanon.

Some of the specimens that have been shot in the South weigh 250Kgs (550 pounds!) with bad ass tusks. The ones in the North have been introduced from France and are smaller in size. They have been bred in an enclosed area then released. Their proliferation has been very successful since they have no predators, exept the few hunters that go after them. These are the ones that we hunt since the South as some of you might know is where Hizballah and the UN troops are located; so it is not exactly a walk in the park there :-). Funy thing is that some boars in the South die because of Land Mines!

Anyways, here is what we basically do.

First we look for tracks and for signs that indicate that the pigs are visiting a certain area. They leave obvious signs in the areas where they feed at night because they dig the dirt excessively plus the terrain where we hunt them is mountainous, so this makes it easier to identify the path that they are going to use.

We then assign shooting posts where we hide and wait for them at dusk and during the night.

We take into consideration the dominant winds so that the boars will not smell our presence while accessing their feeding area.

The location of the shooter should also have visibility to 40 meters (aprox 44 yards). And last but surely not least, these posts should never be in the way of the fleeing boars!

We use Semi Automatic Shotguns loaded with either 4 or 5 cartridges depending on the brand of the gun, with cartridges that have 9 pellets per cartridge, (not sure about their technical name in english). We also carry back up handguns, just in case...

The shotguns are equipped with strong flash lights mounted near the end of the barrel, these lights can be easily turned on and off with a switch near the trigger (you get my drift).

From there on it is all about patience and adrenaline. :-)

Last edited by Mount_Sannine; 02-24-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went on one hunt in Tenn. a few years back so I ain't no expert. I carried a T/C Contender in 30-30. The T/C did a great job and was real easy to carry while hiking up and down those damned hills chasing dogs. I now have an Encore pistol in .308 and can't wait to to it again. oink, oink.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #19

In Arkansas and Texas I use a Remington 742 30.06 with a .357 S & W as a back up. This is for hunting without dogs. If we have dogs, the guns are not as important.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Hogg2XL View Post
In Arkansas and Texas I use a Remington 742 30.06 with a .357 S & W as a back up. This is for hunting without dogs. If we have dogs, the guns are not as important.
Do you use a big-ol-knife if you got dogs?