Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > help me decide which hunting rifle to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default help me decide which hunting rifle to buy

Im torn between the Remington 700 CDL and the Browning X Bolt. Ill most likely get a 300 Win Mag, in one of those two. any opinions please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome ItsmeShane to the forum. Could you please swing over to the Introductions thread and tell us a little something about yourself and your firearm interests. Thank you.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

IMO, the X-Bolt is a very nice light, ergonomic gun to point and carry. The fit and finish will be superior to Remington. The accuracy will likely be as good or better. I think I would go with the X-bolt over the 700 CDL because the X-bolt is a lot lighter and easier carrying around the field or through the mountains. The X-bolt also has an extractable clip. With your 300 Win Mag choice, it will take down anything in North America, but if your not going to hunt anything bigger than elk, I would maybe consider going to a smaller caliber because of recoil, like a .270.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was leaning more towards the x-bolt. It is a nice gun, I have been visiting Bass Pro and looking at the both of them for a while now, trying to decide. I will have to order the gun that I want though. I want one with a wooden stock. In my opinion they look so much better than composite. And as of right now, I have no specific plans on what I will be hunting. I do plan to travel in the years to come, to different areas to hunt so, thats why I was thinking of the 300 win mag.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I purchase my first CZ rifle this year. Always had Rugers, Brownings, Savage, and Winchester in the past. You owe it to yourself to check out CZ befor you make a purchase. I think I had my eyes opened and they are a step up in my opinion.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im not sure if they have those at the dealer here. but I will take a look. I have just had my eye on the Browning, and the Remington. Ive been looking and reading about both for a while. I just think the Browning looks like a lot nicer gun than the Remington. I know Remingtons are good guns, but im leaning towards that Browning.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another plug for the Browning X-bolt. I like the 3 locking lug bolt, 60 degree bolt lift, detachable magazine, tang safety, factory glass bedded/free floating barrel, LARGER extractor of the Browning. I could keep going but you get the idea. Remington ain't even in the same class.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #8

look up a Tikka T3 in 300 mag,sweet rifle! I have a T3 stainless lite in 25-06, very well made and accurate, free floated barrel,adjustable trigger,detachable magazine.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the hunter is not a bad looking gun. or the Battue. I like that it has the sights on it. that is one thing that I dont like about the browning, it doesnt have the sights on it. im sure you can add them. but basically, I want to take it to the range and be just as accurate without the scope.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm just the opposite-I prefer to have no iron sights breaking up the streamlined shape of my rifles because I'm never going to use them anyway. Once I get a decent scope mounted & zeroed in exactly where I want-I forget it's possible to remove the scope-on purpose.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!