Help choosing scope rings and mount.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Help choosing scope rings and mount.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help choosing scope rings and mount.

I bought a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 rifle scope with 1" tube for a .308 Weatherby Vanguard (which I haven't bought yet ).

I don't have any idea what scope rings and mount I should buy and any recommendations or pointers will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I bought a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 rifle scope with 1" tube for a .308 Weatherby Vanguard (which I haven't bought yet ).

I don't have any idea what scope rings and mount I should buy and any recommendations or pointers will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
You will first need a Weaver style aluminum base to fit the contour of the your rifle. They are 7/8" wide. There are recoil slots on the base. The base mounts to the receiver

The rings should be the same diameter as the scope tube, 1". Weaver style is a generic name for rings and bases. There are several manufacturers of rings. Weaver makes a complete line of rings and one that will fit. Burris, Bushnell and Trijicon also makes Weaver style rings and bases. The rings are made to clamp onto a 7/8" wide Weaver style base. Some rings are aluminum, some are steel, painted to match the scope. There is a recoil lug that fits the recoil slots on the base. The recoil lugs prevent movement of the scope. Most Weaver style rings are detachable from the base with the scope mounted in them.

Buy good quality rings. I am not sure but your Weatherby might have an integral weaver base.

Personally, I would not advise that you try mounting the scope yourself if you do not have a gun vise and other tools needed or do not have the knowledge. Have a gun shop with a full-time gunsmith mount the scope for you. It will be money well spent. You can probably buy the needed rings and base from the gun shop or they can at least tell you exactly what to buy.
Without a properly fitted connection the scope will be useless. This will be very difficult to tell until you are bench shooting or in the field hunting.

Last edited by sigp250; 04-03-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks.

Any other advise out there?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Leupold 1 piece base. Probably low or med rings. I like the Leupold base as you can drift the rear. Millet also good.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #5

leupold 2 piece bases.

i prefer to keep the loading/ejection port open. teh single piece will be more stable if you plan on rough handling the rifle. its all a matter of opinion.

i despise weaver bases.