Head / Neck shots
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Head / Neck shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Head / Neck shots

I just hate drilling my '06 into a fine deers shoulder. Lots of wasted meat. If I bring home another rack I'll be sleeping ouside forever. All last season I took head shots with 100% success. Does anyone else use this tactic. Of course if I don't have a good shot I don't take it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5920 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i shoot heart/lungs thru the rib cage. but then i use a 458 winmag or more recently 458 socom. drops em where they stand. no meat loss less your really into deer ribs. im prolly switching back to the winmag for whitetail. i just like the winchester better. draws more HOLYSHTS than anything else, and its a beautiful rifle. i dont like tracking deer thru snake infested cactus patches in south texas.

buddy of mine tried a few head shots this past season but he is a terrible shot and never landed a head shot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #3

im right there with ya man! for deer head shots on all the does and neck shots for the bucks. elk ill do the same but if i cant get a head/neck or if they are out 400 + yards ill take a heart/lung.

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

When I hunted with my grandfather he always made 1 shot in the neck kills on deer using rem 30-06 150gr. bronze points. They dropped dead on the spot.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #5

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 772

I agree w/ Jon. I have changed to a 9.3x57 for the woods up here. There is something about the fat slow bullet that is bad medicine on whitetail. Not as fat as Jons, but a 285gr Cast, or 286gr JSP Partition really dumps them. Even a 270gr speer works the same. .366 is fairly big. I like 'em big fat and slow these days. 150 yards w/ express sights is fine by me. The last head shot I took was with a 150gr .308. I was slightly above on a ridge. I hit about 1.5" above the base of the antler. The Deer flopped around for a few seconds. The shot hit the antler and broke the skull, driving part of it into the brain. Not real pretty. It was nothing I'd want to repeat.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #6

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Heart/lung shots with the occasional shoulder shot. I don't fool with shoulder meat anyway.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
im right there with ya man! for deer head shots on all the does and neck shots for the bucks. elk ill do the same but if i cant get a head/neck or if they are out 400 + yards ill take a heart/lung.
Wait, with a hastily made field rest and a sporter-weight rifle you'll try for a head shot at 390 yards?!?

You're a much better shot than me if you can pull that off with regularity...

This is the 'hunting' section, we're meant to be promoting good hunting practices and ethics in here

Last edited by AusLach; 03-23-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #8

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Wait, with a hastily made field rest and a sporter-weight rifle you'll try for a head shot at 390 yards?!?

This is the 'hunting' section, we're meant to be promoting good hunting practices and ethics in here

That's the kind of shots that result in deer suffering for days in agony and unable to eat, dying of starvation.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's the kind of shots that result in deer suffering for days in agony and unable to eat, dying of starvation.
Exactly right, that's not hunting...

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post

i made a third hole between a does eyes last year at just under 350 yards with a 300 RUM. so i would most definitely attempt a 399 yard shot at a does head. same rifle, my buck 425ish yards turns started running up the mountain aimed at the back of his head hit at the base of his neck.

And im not promoting to people that they "should" take head/neck shots im just saying there are other people out there that do. by the way "ethics", what is your definition? because ethics to me when it comes to shooting is, when it comes time to taking the shot feel 100% comfortable with the shot and take your time with it. everyone misses once in a while i just happen to do it less often and at longer ranges then most. last season 4 shots, 4 kills, 3 of the 4 head/neck shots, all "over" 300 yards.

and not a hastily made field rest. a bi-pod and a Remington CDL 300 ultra mag with a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with an elevation turret. i dont know where you guys hunt but it must be 30-30s and 4 power scopes.

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Last edited by 500mag_guy; 03-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.