have you ever mis understook an animal? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

have you ever mis understook an animal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A group of us were turkey hunting on private property. We were in 2 different groups. A guy from the other group got up and walked away because he had to take a dump. He walked out about 40 yards from the guys he was hunting with pulled his pants down and proceeded to do his business. Just as he was getting done a guy shot him in the butt with a 12 gauge. The guy that got shot is a white guy close to 400lbs! The guy that shot him was not with our hunting party but had hunted this property before and had not gotten permission to hunt this day. He was out with his son teaching him proper hunting techniques. He said he thought it was a turkey! How the hell do mistake a 400lb white guys butt for a turkey? I am still puzzled at this one!

Another time about 20 years ago we were grouse and phesant hunting in north east PA. We were going down a slight drop that was pretty rocky. A bird flew up and I didn't shoot because I could identify it. The guy with me said it was a grouse just because the way it flew. The strange thing about it is it landed in the top of about a 70 foot oak tree. I had never seen a grouse fly up that high to escape. Needless to say he shot it. It plundered to the ground and when he went to pick it up he realized that he had shot a wood pecker. A really big one at that. I never hunted with him again!

I have passed on many of animals because I could not get a good identification. It is simple,s If you are not sure of your target do not shoot!!!!

Mark

MLR Distributing

Last edited by MLRDist; 11-04-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #72

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That Mickey Mantle story... I first heard it from Jerry Clower when I was a real young kid. Who told it first?

On misunderstooking game? (I'm gonna use that word a lot from now on) My parents have had on of their horses misunderstook for a deer. A property owner next to them rents out a house to hunters during the season, and one of them shot across the fence 4 times while my stepdad was walking out to his tree stand. So he did an about face, and walked up to the rental house, and saw a guy sitting on the back porch with a rifle, asked him just what the hell was he shooting at on his property, and the guy said it was the biggest deer he'd ever seen in his life, only about 100 yards off. So my step dad started whistling up the horses, and sure enough one of them had a graze in his left shoulder. Police were called, dude was taken to jail. Now the rental property has a sign on the front door. "warning, the neighbors will shoot back, stay off their land and don't shoot across the fence."

We've also caught several of the rental customers on the property and in my parents stands. They get trespassing charges.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #73

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
a skunk with 8'' eye span
I could not see any eyes. The hole in the briars was just big enough to see the white stripe and a little bit of black fur on each side. The part I could see was only about three inches wide. And remember it was at ground level, not two or three feet high like you would expect a cows head to be.

A lot of people seeing exactly what I saw would have shot before they identified it as a cow.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #74
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Zombie thread. Resurrected after a year.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #75

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I once shot an elephant in my pajamas...
How big are your PJ's? I'd shoot him to if he was wearing my PJ's...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #76

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque
Here is an email I recenly got from the DOW.

DOW WARNS HUNTERS TO BE CERTAIN OF TARGET

DENVER, Colo. - With the fall rifle seasons reaching the half-way point, the Colorado Division of Wildlife is warning big game hunters to be absolutely certain of their target before they pull the trigger. So far this fall, the Division has investigated more than 10 cases of hunters carelessly or negligently shooting moose.

"We're seeing way too many preventable mistakes," said Ron Velarde, DOW's Northwest Regional Manager. "If you aren't 100 percent sure that what you have in your sights is what you have on your license, do not pull the trigger."

Despite years of education efforts surrounding moose reintroduction, including direct outreach to hunters with licenses in northwest Colorado, some hunters say they are surprised to see these big animals in areas where elk and deer are common.

That's no excuse, said DOW Chief of Law Enforcement Jay Sarason. "We expect hunters to positively identify their game," he said. "It's simple - if you're not absolutely sure, don't shoot."

While cow elk and cow moose may be confused in low light or when obscured by brush, bull elk and bull moose look nothing alike. Yet two hunters this fall have mistakenly shot bull moose. One of those hunters is facing charges that could bring more than $14,000 in fines and the certainty of a license suspension hearing. Abandonment of a carcass could bring felony charges, incarceration and the permanent loss of hunting privileges in Colorado and 34 other states that participate in the Wildlife Violator Compact.

Proper target identification is one of the first rules that hunters learn in hunter education courses. Properly identifying the target not only ensures you are taking the proper species and gender but also prevents hunters from shooting at sound or movement - something that should never happen.

Sarason noted that more than 250,000 hunters take to the field each fall in Colorado and the total number of violations is low.

"We harvest about 50,000 elk every year," Sarason said. "The vast majority are harvested legally and ethically. Ethical sportsmen shouldn't feel like they're getting a black eye because a very small number of people are too quick on the trigger."

Colorado's moose reintroduction is one of the most successful species conservation programs in state history. Thanks to sportsmen's' dollars and support, Colorado is now home to a growing population of more than 1,500 moose, which have become highly sought-after by wildlife watchers. These largest members of the deer family can be found in many parts of the state.

Moose are common in North Park, Middle Park, Steamboat Springs, Rio Grande National Forest, and Grand Mesa National Forest and have recently been introduced into the White River National Forest east of Meeker. However, hunters in all mountainous terrain should expect that they could encounter moose while hunting deer and elk.

Because moose are relatively rare, hunting licenses for moose are very restricted. In 2010, Colorado will issue more than 225,000 elk licenses, but only 154 moose licenses. The lifetime bag limit for bull moose in Colorado is one.

"Moose hunting in Colorado is literally a once-in-a-lifetime experience," said Velarde.
"Every moose that a careless or negligent hunter kills is a hunt denied to someone else."

Hunters that mistakenly kill the wrong animal are urged to immediately contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Wildlife officers will seize the erroneously killed animal and donate the meat. Hunters who mistakenly kill a moose and don't turn themselves in are subject to heavy fines and penalties if wildlife officers have to track them down.

"The ethical thing to do is to own up to your mistake," Velarde said. "Report the mistake and make sure the meat doesn't go to waste. Better yet - when in doubt, don't pull the trigger."

Hunters that see suspicious activity in the field are asked to contact your local District Wildlife Manager, enforcement agency or Operation Game Thief toll-free at 877-COLO-OGT (877-265-6648). Callers may remain totally anonymous
How the hell do u mistake a moose for an elk I guess u cant fix stupid huh

Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #77

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Always shot the right animal knowing what it was but i have when young and inexperenced shot a big old doe with a 4 power scope on a 308 in the middle of a big brand new stripped clear cut. And it turned into a young fat doe about half the size I thought it was and blow the back bone out. I went home and bought a 2 to 10 power scope and a pair of decent binos to study what I plan on shooting from then on.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #78

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Always shot the right animal knowing what it was but i have when young and inexperenced shot a big old doe with a 4 power scope on a 308 in the middle of a big brand new stripped clear cut. And it turned into a young fat doe about half the size I thought it was and blow the back bone out. I went home and bought a 2 to 10 power scope and a pair of decent binos to study what I plan on shooting from then on.
I once shot a mouse thought it was a midgit elk turned out it was a mouse with a small branch over its head damn the luck