Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Have a coyote problem, need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default yodel dogs

get some buddies ,everybody pitch in buy a game call system , a 22-250 will kill em out to 300 yrds plus ,yall can make rounds at each others place ...as for the horses ,although its another mouth to feed ,a jackass in with the horses will keep em safe ... so will a great perenese dog.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 and those yote hunters will be more than happy to clean up those yotes

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Hunter Kills 104-Pound 'Unusually Large' Coyote - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City
"Hunter Kills 104-Pound 'Unusually Large' Coyote" http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri

You might want to carry a sidearm, just in case.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Currently one of my friends is having the same problem out here. We've been having no problem getting them the first hour and the last hour of hunting time. This eliminates the need for night vision, spotlights etc.

Sometimes we will put papertowels in the bottom of our cats litter box, then the morning we are heading out, we will put the papertowels in a coffee can and open it up out in the field.

The cat urine will "wick" up the papertowels and act as an attractant. Along with a dying rabbit call and a howling type call, we can get them within 100 yards no problem.

I would not reccomend a .22 for this job. I would err on the side of using a little too high of a load then too light of one.

I use a 22-250, but heck one of my friends uses a 300 WSM. afterall its not like we are saving the animal and in your case it sounds like you couldnt keep the skin even if you wanted too.

I dont know about there in CA, but here there are a lot of fleas on the coyotes, I know that the game warden wants you to immediately bury the varmints, but, personally I would let the animal completely cool off before I would be picking it up or dragging it around. When the animal starts to cool off the fleas are going to be jumping around looking for their next warm host. I dont know about you, but, that just gives me the heebeejeebees

Just my 2 pennies.....good luck!!!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #25

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks Roque
I will try that cat urine trick. I am still researching and the yotes keep coming.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My cat died last month and I wonder if dog urine would work??

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #27

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Okay, briefly I had a similar problem back in 05, but we haven't had it since.

There is a website (several actually) about Predators and there is some good info on them, but I found some of them to be more into the sport of hunting them rather than the eradication of them. On my farm eradication was the goal.

How it began for me was one day late in the spring '05 when I had been roaming my woodlot picking up some kindling for the next winter and heading back to the house when suddenly a (very) large Eastern coyote casually came out of the brush and and slowly walked across the trail not more than 8 - 12 yards in front of me. I had a 'lil Charter Arms Undercover on my belt, but have to confess I never even thought of it and was instead wishing desperately I had a camera. I mean, there I am with my arms full of wood, and what was (at that time) one of the best wildlife photo opportunities I had had in decades. I mean this boy was big (perhaps 80 lbs), he had to have both seen and heard me as I was not by any means in stealth mode, and he was just totally ignoring me and crossing the trail like I wasn't even there. I just stood and watched him with my mouth open and arms full of wood until he disappeared into the brush on the other side of my trail. I told my wife (who hates hunting and tolerates but very much (as in really, really) dislikes guns) but I think she just chalked it up as a fabrication by me and dismissed it.

About a week later when I came home from work she told me she had let our cats out (we had 4 back in those days), but all 4 of them had started scratching at the door and mewing within 4 or 5 minutes (normally they go out and disappear into my woods and fields for hours before returning with baby rabbits, garter snakes, moles or whatever it is they notice that day). She said she let them in and both the males were all puffed up like beachballs and clearly all were upset about something. The 2 females scampered into the basement and the males disappeared soon too. My wife then figured something was outside, so she took a peek outside the door. She related that she had then 2 or 3 large (she had never seen one before) large reddish animals over by our trailer (about 20 yards from our door) that looked something like a dog, but she didn't know what they were. She said the smallest one was about the size of our neighbor's Labordor Retriever. Two went back into the woods but the third one walked forward a little bit then just lay down and looked back at her. She decided (and they agreed) perhaps the cats knew what they were doing and didn't wish to go out that day.

That afternoon she went to the store. She came back and parked near the trailer and started walking towards the house when she became aware of one of they heading towards her coming out of the woods to the side of, and a little behind her. She realized a second one was coming from the other side so she beat feet to the house. What got her a little upset was the discovery it was a race because a much bigger one was approaching from the other side of the house. She won the race (but allegedly not by much) and shut the door and looked outside at the big one who was right on the steps. Gotta remember her attitude when considering this. She went to one of our places, rummaged around a little bit and came up with one of my preloaded S&W M-25s and went back to the door. The critter had joined the others over by the trailer. As soon as she opened the door again she became the focus of their attention. For whatever unknown reason, she elected to fire into the dirt instead of at them. The gun went off, and they left for the woods. That evening I heard the whole tale and I was instructed, "Find them and Kill them."

It took a few days but inside two weeks the deed was done. I read various forums and collected usable intel first. There is a product called 'Invisi Predator,' (which in my experience worked quite well). VA at that time lacked the strangeness of California laws and back then the rule regarding Coyotes was they were a pest which could be taken at any hour on any day by any means available. [That has since changed, but only a little, deadfalls and the ilk are a big no-no now, some other rules too.]

Let me say this, my only concern about your using a .22LR for the job is the inaccuracy of most .22s when we pass 50 - 100 yards. From an eradication viewpoint a wound that maims and leads to a slow death by infection is just fine. Such performance is no different than a slow acting poison. The goal of eradication is not a pleasurable hunt with quick one shot kills. The goal is to do something that kills em. Like wounding an enemy soldier to tie up 3 enemy people in caring for him. Quite acceptable. On the other hand, if you miss which is quite possible with some .22LRs when we speak of moving targets at 150+ yards, you will never know, and a rifle cartridge combo at that distance that routinely leaves a corpse, or at least a well noticed blood trail conveys much more usable information to you.

In my own case I chose an M1A National Match. I had an old box and a half of Remington .308 Accelerator rounds (saboted to 55 gr. .22 spire points, and at 4,000 fps velocity, for those who have never seen one). They work just fine in my NM and I have never experienced the single shot phenomena with them. I read all the BS hype about camouflage and scent hiding and decided none of it applied to the Coyotes in my scenario. I deer hunt and had several frozen deer livers in zip-locked bags and decided after all these years I now had a use for them.

I have several cuts in my forest made by me with a bushog. Several were over 150 yards before they curved. I chose two with hills behind them that would be good backstops. I ordered an Invisi Predator. It is a battery operated remote control call thingie. It has a little remote control like a TV remote and works from over 100 yards away.

Lots of myth (which I have since learned is pure BS when speaking of deer) about how none of the animals in our woods can see red light. Back then I believed it. I went to the farm store and bought some 60 watt 12 Volt DC lightbulbs like you would use in a motor home. I spray painted them Farmall Red. Voila, instant red light. I picked my kill zones and hung the red lights from tree branches over the desired impact zone.

In the morning I found a large metal pan and put a frozen deer liver into it. As the sun set that night I put a small piece on a paper plate in the chosen kill zone. I also hooked up a deep discharge marine battery to the light bulb and lay the call box on the ground near the tree the bulb was on. I put a small folding chair at the end of the trail about 120 yards away.

At around 9PM I went back out with the pan of liver, my M1A, some coffee, a good knife, a pocket light and my Undercover .38 and the remote control. Leaving the coffee and the rifle at the chair I visited the kill zone and confirmed something had eaten the initial offering. I turned the light on and placed the metal pan full of liver on the paper plate then retreated to my chair. The hardest part was staying awake.

Let me go on record, my woods are full of noise at night. My only real concern was that something would be more attracted to me than to the liver. Hence the 38 on one side and a Cattagaugus 225 on the other side. That turned out to be a non-issue. About once every 15 - 20 minutes I hit the remote control for a dying rabbit sound. I had dialed the scope of the M1-A back to 4x. The kill zone was a red lit stage in the view of the scope and was even fairly well visible without the scope. Lots of small critters such as racoons and some kind of weasel visited the bait but I ignored them (I think there was about 4 or 5 pounds of liver in the first nights bait). Along about 2AM two Coyotes appeared from stage left. One hung back while the other approached the bowl. It pounced, grabbed the liver and tried to run away with it while I fumbled with the rifle, in the dark, 120 yards away. This was why I had chosen frozen liver. It simply fell apart in the coyote's mouth and most of it plopped right back into the bowl. He then spun around and tried again and again, meanwhile I put the cross hairs on the watching female's skull and executed her and because of the M1A's nature was still able to put the second slug into the chest of the male. He went about 10 feet and expired. I ran this exercise on two other nights that week in different cuts on my land. I harvested two more coyotes. I tried again the next week, but have never again seen one on this land. My cats have been happy ever since and my wife has gone back to disliking guns and hating hunting.

Hopefully there is something in this history you can use for your own problem.

thefirststand.jpg   killzonetostand1.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 12-16-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added phrases

Old 12-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #28

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Merry Christmas guys, I see I'm a little late to this party but maybe I can add some useful info. I live in Maine and hunt Coyote. You say you just want to eradicate them, I fully understand, but coyote hunting is every bit as much fun as any other hunting IMO. I find it more challenging because they are very smart. That said,
Bait, the old timers swear by cans of tuna, others swear by befriending a butcher and throwing out the meat. Most people I know butcher their deer, etc, and leave the gut pile out. People with pets swear that coyotes are attracted to the dog food.
Know your laws. In Maine it's legal all year long, but to hunt at night (when they're most active) is only allowed during certain seasons.
Scent is VERY critical when hunting these things, you know how good a dog can smell, same thing. KNOW the wind direction, they will travel miles to get the upperhand on you and come up from behind if they're weary. I descent with the same stuff I use for deer hunting, and eat a can of tuna while out there. Some people use cat urine, fox urine or skunk smell I can't attest to that either way.
Guns, I wouldn't use a .22, but that's just me, I use my 30-06, but then again, I'm on a few hundred acres and have it dialed in the way I want it. I just don't know how effective a .22 would be. Personally I would use a .17 HMR at the minimum... Also, whenever I call them in, they seem to hover about 100 yards away from my calling, so I've never used a shotgun.
Get a good call, you don't need to go high tech or anything, a plastic reed mouthpiece will work wonders if you learn how to use it properly. "Sucking/kissing" the back of your hand makes a wounded mouse sound they seem to love, but I've "talked" to the coyotes for over an hour with the hand call, calling back and forth from my porch at night.
Finally, you don't need to buy NV, many places sell this light (I don't own it, my friend does, so I'l have to get back to you on the exact name), but it's a light that you can attach to your gun, it throws a beam of light they can't see, but it illuminates their eyes so you can see them, IIRC it's only about $100.

And finally...

DON'T SHOOT THE NEIGHBORS DOG!!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #29

We use chicken and a big shark hook and hang it in the tree just high enough for them have to jump to get it and then when they latch on to it. The will be there waiting on you.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my uncle had a similur problem, what he did was we put cayote call hook up to a loud speaker, waited in a half ars blind we made they got into 300 yards or use and we just opened up kept it up for about 2 weeks no more problems.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."