Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Have a coyote problem, need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The night scope is $600. I just paid a trapper $120 to trap the raccoon that were creating a problem at my house.

I would use the bait, get the scope and at least have some fun!! Watch your livestock, coyote get very brave this time of year, especially after the snow flies.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Man, you guys are awesome. There is a ton of great info here I'm gonna have to process.
First, I had no idea hunting coyotes was something people would want to do. I never thought about having someone do it for me. I live on ten acres that is surrounded by several thousand, which is where the bastards are coming from.

Second, I was thinking the 22 because of the report, I thought it would get the job done. As you al know I'm not really that experienced with this.

Tango I totally agree I'd love to kill them, and hang em up on the fence as a warning.

My dogs are locked up, bit this is happening in the early evening when they're still out.

Thanks again guys.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Darin,

I would also love to have one of the ATN Night Vision units as was shown above. But they are a little salty but I would still love to have one. I have an older model 4X III Gen. ATN Scope. It is good but heavy. In Tennessee where I live lights, NV and Thermal are not allowed at night to predator hunt. Wish they would change it but I guess it is because there would be those that would use it for poaching. Anyway I hunt our west on our lease and do a lot of night coyote and pig hunting. One way we kill them is by a Fox Pro Call and the other is we plant a gut pile out in a meadow withing 200 yards of the camp. Then we set down and visit and coyote hunt. Now you are wondering how we do that. Well by the gut pile we have a metal fence post that I attach a Dakota Alarm Sending Unit (The Black Box) to the post. By the campfire I have a Dakota Receiver it looks like a Walkie Talkie and is portable on AA batteries. When the alarm notifies us that something is at the gut pile we sneak over to the fence and look through our NV or use a Spotlight with a Red Lens. The red lens as mentioned before above causes the coyotes eyes to glow. And POW!!!!! Also if you kill the coyote drag it around and leave the carcass in the area. Most of the time it will be a deterrent since most of the coyotes in the immediate area belong to the same family. Juts a thought but I guess some would call it lazy coyote hunting but the rancher wants them gone also!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #14

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I hunt them on a clear moonlite night. My scoped 527 or AR, both in .223 does the job. No special scope needed.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have no experience hunting coyotes, but it would seem to me that some surveillance is in order to establish a pattern of their activities to better exterminate them. Maybe some game cameras or inexpensive NV surveillance cameras would be helpful.

traps?

No. 1 Long Spring Trap, Big Game, Duke at Sportsman's Guide

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Darin, Have you thought of having a meet and greet of FTF members? If your local laws allow.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #17

OK, called the Department of Fish and Game just because there were a lot of good ideas here.

I can deprevate the coyotes only if they are on my property and a nuisance. I can "lure" them onto my property with artificial bait, calls, recordings or lures. I cannot use meat of any kind to bait them. I cannot cross onto another property for any reason, because it now becomes "hunting" and I then need permits, licensing, lead free ammo, etc.

When the animal is "destroyed" I then need to bury the carcass immediately and I cannot save any part, otherwise I am either baiting and/or hunting.

I also cannot use a night vision scope or set up anything that looks like I am laying in wait. LOL...California bureaucracy, I love it

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
OK, called the Department of Fish and Game just because there were a lot of good ideas here.

I can deprevate the coyotes only if they are on my property and a nuisance. I can "lure" them onto my property with artificial bait, calls, recordings or lures. I cannot use meat of any kind to bait them. I cannot cross onto another property for any reason, because it now becomes "hunting" and I then need permits, licensing, lead free ammo, etc.

When the animal is "destroyed" I then need to bury the carcass immediately and I cannot save any part, otherwise I am either baiting and/or hunting.

I also cannot use a night vision scope or set up anything that looks like I am laying in wait. LOL...California bureaucracy, I love it
It's only illegal if you get caught.... just sayin'

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
It's only illegal if you get caught.... just sayin'
hehehehe....lol
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you shoot them and dispose of them (bury) on your property, how would DFG ever know you used a night sight, baited them with meat or were storing your rifle and ammo next to the window that just happens to look out over the baited area?

You could always relocate them to Sacramento, where they will feel right at home!

People get the government they deserve.