Have a coyote problem, need advice.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Have a coyote problem, need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Have a coyote problem, need advice.

I am having a big problem with coyotes trying to corner my dogs, eating my cats and now have started in with the horses.

They only come at night which limits my weaponry to two of my shotguns. I go after them with 12ga 00 and a light, but half the time as soon as I get close enough for the light to hit them, they're gone. One round, maybe.

So what do I need to do to get more than one at a time. I have an AR, 10/22, several shotguns and a 30-06

I am entertaining buying one of those cheapo $300 night vision scopes and throwing it on the 10/22 or buying a bait kit for daytime/dusk hunting and getting 4 buck. But what I think might work probably won't, so I need some help.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, when i was younger some coyote's killed one of my cats. I talked around to people and a game warden suggested i get a .22lr and pop them when i see them (they are considered pests here so no tags or anything necesary).

What i would suggest doing is going hunting. Either try to find their den and kill them all or bait them with meat and wait. If you go for the first option you might want to bring your dogs with you or a couple of friends.

I don't know what kind of terrain we are talking about here and my suggestions may be useless if you live in big wide open spaces. You can also find some electronic noise makers that alledgedly sound like wounded rabits and such you can place somewhere and leave there to atract the yotes then put them down.

The 10 22 or the ar would probably be your best bet as semi auto is the way to go for inflicting massive casualties quickly.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The area I am in is flat and wide open. Their den...I don't have the first clue how/where to find it. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the bait options.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Darincraft, you gave no hint...

On what state you live in or what the current laws in your area cover! In
north Idaho, as long as you are protecting humans, livestock & pets... you
can legally kill a pest,(but the courts are still "out to lunch" about wolves)!
We have 2 recent high profile encounters in the press recently about
encounters with wolves by women in a rural area,(search the Spokesman-
Review) for the details. And read the december American Hunter about
coyotes! Ten years ago a friend of mine in the Post Falls/Coeur d Alene area
lost his cocker spaniel to coyotes & I provided him with an old Remmington
autoloader loaded with #4 buckshot. A few days later he killed an adult
female with it, but the male & female pups that traveled with her left the
area! (I had warned him about letting his dog out after dark unsupervised
on his 10 acres, but he chose to ignore that warning)! Our dogs are
protected by a 6 foot fence & a dog door into our house as sometimes
larger creatures like mountain lions & bears are not "strangers to our area"!
AND, though not "lethal", skunks also wander our area when their #s reach
a "high in population"!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

live traps a 22lr firearm and some raw meat rabbit works best. that way if you trap a pet you can release if its a yote...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Wiley Coyote's

Lock up your cats and dogs, Then set out a tape recorder with a squealing rabbit. And around this area set out a dozen or so leg traps. Check your local laws on ridding your land of these useless critters. If any are caught, it makes killing a whole lot easier. And if you don't have a recorder use bait, and set traps. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I am entertaining buying one of those cheapo $300 night vision scopes and throwing it on the 10/22 or buying a bait kit for daytime/dusk hunting and getting 4 buck. But what I think might work probably won't, so I need some help.
Not sure why you would chose the 22 over the 223 as a night hunter. I have wanted one of these but don't have any need for it. I just want it.

ATN Aries 410 Night Vision Rifle Scope NVWSM41010 FREE S&H NVWSM41010. ATN Night Vision, ATN Riflescopes.
opplanet-atn-aries-410-night-vision-riflescope-nvwsm41010.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Will a 22 kill a yote. Sure it will if you are close enough. I shot one at maybe 15 feet and it ran for over 100 yards before dropping dead.

get a spot light with a red filter on it. Look for the eyes and aim between them.

You could also try a Laser Genitics flashlight. Careful with it though as if you hit a yote in the eyes they are gone.

Results for laser genetics flashlights - Sorted by Best Match, on Page 1 (20 Items) - OpticsPlanet

Night Hunting For Coyotes - Techniques and Gear For Hunting Coyotes at Night

Go check out AL's web site. Varmint Al's Hunting Page

Al is a great guy and one hell of a yote hunter.

Also look up Randy Anderson, Less Johnson, and Fred Eichler.

Check your local and state laws to see if baiting is legal. If it is. get you some chicken livers, chicken, and other animal parts allow to rot a little throw some sweet corn in the mix then about 100 yards from a window put it out. Then build a bench inside the window and set your gun up and sit near the window. Check often and when you see a yote slowly open the window and shoot that dirty rotten SOB.

The only good yote is the dead one.

You can also build a cheap ecaller from varmint al's web page. It works great and I have made one. Or you can go buy cheap mouth calls or a cheaper ecallers.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What we do in the winter is dig a pit in the snow fill with bait and get to where you will be hunting from before light and as they come out of the pit shoot them. I would imagine this would work in milder climes with digging the pit in the dirt.
My 2 cents F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Have a coyote problem, need advice.

In my part of the state of Texas, all you have to do is let the word out you have a coyote problem and you'll get people bangin on your door. Seriously there are people who already have the night time equipment to help take care of your problem. Unless you plan on doing a lot a night time hunting, I would let someone else clean up your problem rather than spend the money for a night scope. Plus, I don't like the idea of staying up all night calling and searching. That's just me.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider