Hanging deer question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Hanging deer question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

Default Hanging deer question

Wife got a doe just before dark tonight. I have it hanging now, breezy and 61F, feels like 57, predicted low tonight is 48. Would it be safe to leave hanging until morning?

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1293 Times on 801 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Wife got a doe just before dark tonight. I have it hanging now, breezy and 61F, feels like 57, predicted low tonight is 48. Would it be safe to leave hanging until morning?

I wouldn't just because coyotes will get it ! I think 48 would be a bit warm for me to leave it to...
jsr5 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #3

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would not leave it out all night. It will only be in the 40's for a few hours if it is 61 now. Do you know how to skin a deer with a truck, rope and a golf ball?
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

John, I do, but right now the truck's holding the deer in the tree. We'll probably just skin and cut it up and put on ice after supper.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
303tom Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'd quarter it out and get it on ice or in a fridge.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #6

I have a chain hanging off a limb so I can back the truck up to the chain. Hook my come a long on the chain to lift the deer. Then I pull the skin off the deer. I have had serious spinal injuries, not supposed to lift over 30 lb.

I take the chain down after hunting season. Spray pruning seal (looks like under coating) on areas where the bark is rubbed off the limb. Been using the same limb for many years.
dks7895 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4467

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
John, I do, but right now the truck's holding the deer in the tree. We'll probably just skin and cut it up and put on ice after supper.
Quartering it up and putting it on ice would be the way to go. It would probably be fine tonight at that temp but I would hate to take that chance. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #8
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2651 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 14646

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would not leave it out all night. It will only be in the 40's for a few hours if it is 61 now. Do you know how to skin a deer with a truck, rope and a golf ball?
A truck and rope yes. I am lost at the golf ball part.

Would you mind teaching me a new skill?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
A truck and rope yes. I am lost at the golf ball part.

Would you mind teaching me a new skill?
You hang the deer by the head. Like you were literally hanging the deer. cut the deers skin around the neck. Then cut the skin down from the cut round the neck down the deers belly to it's rectum. Cut the skin around each leg. Then cut the skin on the legs down to the cut that goes the length of the deer.

Then pull the skin down on the deers neck until you can get the golf ball under the skin. Wrap a rope or chain around the golf ball. Hook the chain to the truck. Pull the skin off the deer with the truck.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Doe is in the cooler. Wife needs to work on her shot placement though, wasted too much meat.

People Like This