Handgun shooting and hunting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Handgun shooting and hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Handgun shooting and hunting

I just put a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32 scope on my S&W 460XVR. I took it the indoor range to macro adjust the scope. The range is only 25 yards but I got the scope adjusted so I was getting everything inside a four inch circle. Next step will be to go to the outdoor range and fine tune the scope for 100 yards.

What kind of long distance results can a person reasonably expect with practice? Smith & Wesson billed this gun as able to take a deer at 200 yards with no holdover emphasizing its flat trajectory (200 grain bullet @ 2300 fps). That seems a little ambitous to me. I was thinking I would be pretty happy if at 100 yards I could put all my shots inside a circle the size of a paper plate. Once I can do that consistently I would try the same thing at 125 yards. I think the ultimate goal would be to put all rounds inside the paper plate circle at 150 yards.

Does that seem like a reasonable goal? Any helpful tips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I took a nice 10 point buck at abt.135 yrds. with a 44 mag. with iron sights, and a doe at 175 yrds. with a 357 max. I have a 460 but have not been able to get it to shoot up to may standards, but will have another go at it this summer. If I can get it to shoot I`m looking for a 300 yrd. gun with it, and it will wear a 2X Leupold. The main thing is to get the accuracy for that range.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

IMHO, a lot of "range" is what position you shoot from. I have a .357 mag that once, just for grins and giggles, I shot a military M16 rifle qualification course, and made a qualifying score- for a rifle- with a handgun. BUT- 10 inch bbl, handloaded heavy spitzer type bullet, AND- shooting off the bags. If shooting standing offhand- not as likely by a long shot. Now, I have watched one man break ballons at 200 yards with a 1911A1 .45 ACP- but he was NOT the average shooter.

Hell, I know folks that wil not kill a deer at 200 yds with a 30-30 carbine- IMHO, it is whatever range you can hold all your shots in a 5 inch circle with the position you will use in the field.

Just my personal take- if I am not hunting for survival, I have an ethical duty to drop the animal with one shot. Dead right there. The .460 can do that. Question is- can I?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I couldn't agree with c3shooter more. I personally hunt with open sights on my pistols which keeps my shots within 40 yards(don't laugh, I'm practicing). I know my 357 or 44 can do the job at that distance. If I get beyond that the 357 will probably take a back seat. I love my 357s but they just don't carry the energy down range that the big bores do.

#1 concern is, can YOU make the shot. I know my pistols can, when they don't it's my fault.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #5

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

With good loads and a steady rest, your S&W is capable of groups of an inch or under @ 50 yards and 2 inches or under at 100 yards. It will take some practice on your part to achieve this. My 10 5/8" Mod. 29 will do this all day.

Jim...........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

not unreasonable but lots of perfect practice on your part. good luck..

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE - I went to the range today and shot off the bench at 50 yards for the very first time. I rested the grip of the gun on a sandbag. I shot the first target and made a few scope adjustments. Then I shot the second target. Now I need to find another range because 50 yards is the max here. I think I'll jump up to 100 yards next.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

RT looks to me like you have a good group at fifty yds to kill a deer no problem. I would now practice off hand and see how you do at 50. As all of us use a rest whenever possible it is good to shoot off hand without support so that if a shot presents itself and no rest is available you will have the confidence to make the shot.
If you hand load you can / may get even tighter groups. MC

Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #9

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Hey, nice shootin' there, Tex.

Without getting into ethics and other fun cans of worms here, it seems

you have most the basics down.

Now if you can stalk the quarry to within your range limits, I'd say

you're ready to go for it.

So I'd say honing your stalking skills would be important at this point, OP.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Ok, an older thread, but not that old.

Nuttin from nuttin but if that is the group at 50 yards then expect a much larger group at 100, not double but exponentially double. Not something I would trust to hunt with until I got the group inside a reasonable diameter; consistantly. Say every time within an 8" pie plate at 100 yards. Then all you have to worry about is wind and elevation.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!