Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Had an Awesome Day Today! (sorry, no pix)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Had an Awesome Day Today! (sorry, no pix)

I came home from uni on Thursday night to finally do some shooting, but it had rained so much that my property was flooded. Today was still wet, but dry enough to go for a walk with the shotgun. The sheep are lambing here at the moment so there are foxes aplenty, and after a few days of rain they had been holed up in their dens and were pretty hungry.

So I pulled on my gumboots this morning at around 7 and went for a walk along the creek with my brothers, who carried a CZ 17 HMR and my Weatherby Vanguard 223. It wasn't long before we came across our first Reynard.. He was checking puddles for frogs and earthworms about 75 yards away. He was lined up with the 17 and quickly fell to a 20 grainer to the chest.

A little later we flushed a good sized dog from about thirty metres away. He was out of shotgun range before anyone had seen him but we didn't want to scare anything else without a sure kill so we passed him up. We kept an eye on him but and noticed that he had holed up among some rocks a couple of hundred metres away so we decided to scout them out on the walk back.

Another smaller bitch was killed with the 223 from a range of about 120 metres right at the end of our property so we focussed on the dog we had flushed before. We snuck up on the rocks and worked out our gameplan. The fox was laying in the sun under a small tree and noone saw him until we were almost on top of him. A blast from the twelve guage put him into high gear but he was dropped in short order by an awesome shot from my brother with the 17.. Three down by 9 o'clock.

We waited until lunch and drove to a friends property as he was having trouble with currawongs killing his chooks. I cleaned up the first few that were on the ground with the 17 and the shotty collected a couple as well. The 223 was then used to reach out to the fast learners.

We spotted one sitting on a fence post and my brother used the cover of a huge tree to sneak up on him to about ten metres.. Just as he was about to fire, my other brother and I spotted a fox across the valley. The 223 was out of bullets by this stage so I took a long shot with the 17. It hit him high in the gut but the shot was raking forward and after a few kicks he expired..

We called it an afternoon and started to walk back to the car but not ten steps later we all got the fright of our lives as another fox broke cover from right beneath our feet. He was quickly bought to a halt with a couple of blasts from the shotty.

It was a great day with my brothers and we managed to clean up a few pests to boot. We covered an awful lot of miles on foot but, so it's nice to sit back now and relax.. It was a perfect day and almost makes up for not being able to shoot for a couple of months!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Glad you had a great day killing pests. I'm not exactly sure what a currawong or chook is however.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Glad you had a great day killing pests. I'm not exactly sure what a currawong or chook is however.
Yes, please explain.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

Weird @rse double post, see below

Last edited by AusLach; 09-11-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a fun day!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Haha sorry guys, a currawong is a bird a bit like a crow and chooks are chickens..