Guide vs. Mentor
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Guide vs. Mentor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guide vs. Mentor

So I was talking with some people in a different forum and when I asked about guiding services they suggested that I try to find a mentor who would help me through the learning process.

I had someone that was going to take me hog hunting in southern Florida and show me the ropes but we lost contact.

Now I am wondering where I can find someone to help me get into hunting. I also want to know your views on guides. The service I am looking at is a no kill no pay deal on a 1000 acre ranch. 150 for meat hogs and about 300 for trophies.

Any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Where are you located? In some areas, you could go out to the local public hunting area and see more hogs than you could ever deal with.

I've never hunted with a guide, but I've never needed to. I hunt to fill the freezer and paying even $150 for a hog just isn't economical.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #3

A few years ago thats why I started spearfishing. I though grouper at 18 bucks/pound just wasn't smart, especially since I could go right off the beach and spear some diner myself.

I live in Miami. I just don't feel right going into a public hunting area without any knowledge. It doesn't matter how many books I read, videos I watch, or people I talk to. For the first time I need some hands on guidance.

Someone suggested I start trying to make more friends at the range. It looks like there are a lot of hunters at Markham park. More often I go to an indoor range. Seems like most people there are cops or robbers. To the left of me I see two guys drawing from their hip. To the right I see three gangsters rapid firing a shotgun, at the indoor range mind you. o.O

I will figure it out eventually.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1. Take a Hunter's Safety Course.
2. Buy maps, compass and altimeter.
3. Learn to use them.
4. Buy reliable rifle.
5. Get out in the woods and blast some hogs.

You now owe me $300 in mentoring fees.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbanggunns View Post
A few years ago thats why I started spearfishing. I though grouper at 18 bucks/pound just wasn't smart, especially since I could go right off the beach and spear some diner myself.

I live in Miami. I just don't feel right going into a public hunting area without any knowledge. It doesn't matter how many books I read, videos I watch, or people I talk to. For the first time I need some hands on guidance.

Someone suggested I start trying to make more friends at the range. It looks like there are a lot of hunters at Markham park. More often I go to an indoor range. Seems like most people there are cops or robbers. To the left of me I see two guys drawing from their hip. To the right I see three gangsters rapid firing a shotgun, at the indoor range mind you. o.O

I will figure it out eventually.
There are quite a few boards for hog hunters in Florida. A lot of them are mainly for hunting/ catching them with dogs, but I'm sure you could find someone to show you the ropes. There was one that I used to look at, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll ask around and let you know.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #6

i like mattg's idea. my dad, my brother and I just get out in the woods and learn that way. it's going to be exciting no matter how you do it, especially hog. we make a bait for hogs in a 5 gallon bucket with wildlife corn, molasses, some water, sprite remix and then we let it get real nasty. be sure to stir it and add a little water every now and then. every once and awhile we find something else to drop in there. when it is nice and gross dig a shallow hole and pour it in.