Ground hog in a tree? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Ground hog in a tree?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 39

[IMG]Ground hog in a tree? - Hunting Forum[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #12

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
You should eat what you kill unless it is attacking you....what a waste
They are a problem around here . They are good to eat but we have a huge problem digging around poles in pole barns and then the floors or buildings collapsing. I think we trapped 6 last season getting into one barn .
Yes they climb trees and they can be very aggressive . Ever seen the claws on one of these things ?

Ground hog in a tree? - Hunting Forum

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

Liked 148 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I don't eat the mice I kill either. Hmm... mouse kababs, just a thought.

I had one under the hood of my truck once. The dog was going nuts so I opened the hood and came face to face with a huge one sitting on top the engine. Scared the bejesus out of me so I slammed the hood and drove down the road a bit (I didn't want the thing around the farm). I pulled off the side of the road and opened the hood again and he went behind the motor. I figured I would just leave the truck there for a bit and he would go away. Just then two guys pulled up and asked if I needed help (hood up and all) I told them I was OK but there was a ground hog under the hood. They both got out because they just had to see that and I realized they had both been drinking, a lot. One picked up a stick and started poking at it so it moved to the transmission. Then the other guy crawled under my truck, asked for the stick and he started poking at it, I just moved away some, (you can't make this stuff up). The ground hog jumped off the transmission and I don't know which one was moving faster, the ground hog or the guy trying to get out from under the truck to get away from it (it was pissed), I nearly wet myself it was so funny. The ground hog took off across a field with two shirtless drunks hot on his heals. I closed the hood and drove home.

Last edited by thdrduck; 05-30-2014 at 04:12 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #14

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I bet those who are critical of shooters not eating their groundhog kills...................use every bit of edible tissue on any of their kills

Chicken feet, deer kidneys, squirrel brains.... etc.

I grew up on a profitable farm, we didn't eat funky stuff. Striated skeletal muscle tissue only.

But then none of us ever got weird sick either.

Hell, hunting smaller parcel ground for deer, my focus is breaking the shoulders to make sure they stay on my side of the fence. That to some hillbilly purists might be wasteful, why it might even destroy as much meat as what can be found on a whole groundhog carcass.

From what I've seen over the decades is...............most of those who worry about max meat yield are either cheapskates or rarely punch a tag.

I see chucks on my farmer's fields, I blast them. I don't let them escape waiting for only perfect head shots. A .243 puts the hurt on them, and their meat. If somebody wants to eat 'em, fine.

But killing chucks around here used to be serious biz. It wasn't some casual evening of trying to secure a meal.

On a lark, before college classes one day, I made a run to one of my closer spots. Killed 10 in less than 3 hrs. Was pretty warm by noon too. No way I was gonna lug those carcasses from the way back field, in a cooler....................let alone deal with yellow jackets buzzing my knuckles in trying to clean 'em (that freaks me out enough during early goose season- btw, I am deathly allergic to yellow jackets).

Last edited by Hookeye; 05-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Understood....
Hunting Forum

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
They are a problem around here . They are good to eat but we have a huge problem digging around poles in pole barns and then the floors or buildings collapsing. I think we trapped 6 last season getting into one barn .
Yes they climb trees and they can be very aggressive . Ever seen the claws on one of these things ?

Ground hog in a tree? - Hunting Forum
Oooooooooooo! Man I love it when more than one is out. I tried for a triple once but only got two (dunno if any of the bullet made it into the 3rd one).

I did have one come from a barn like in your pic, and shot it as it walked toward me. It just collapsed. I was maybe 75 yards away in the fence row.

Could not find the bullet hole (Ruger#1B in .243) ?????

Flipped her over and over and held her up and finally saw it. Barely a chip, showing white on the tiny edge of a yellow incisor.

Evidently she opened her mouth and it nicked the tooth and went right down her throat, didn't hit the sides either. Just a drop o' blood on her non damaged tongue. She did have some clover in her mouth and must have swallowed the 75 gr Speer mid bite.

She was like jello on the inside, quite the slosher. Maybe a 10# chuck, in great shape for the taxidermist, but the shot was no great feat and she was of no real decent size.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #17

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

I hit one on the run with my bolt action .22.. At about 40 yards.. I was young maybe 18? It impressed me. Lol

I hit one a few years ago poking its head out of his hole in the corner of a field.. let me just say.. a .308, with 150gr sierra GKHP at 70 yards will spread woodchuck heads into tiny pieces about 5 yards behind them.. hehe
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 05-30-2014 at 09:14 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 555

In my younger days I hunted them for profit because they are very destructive to farming and livestock. Never ever considered eating one of those ground rats! No never!!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #19

I've shot them with a variety of items

Compound and recurve bows
Bolt action, falling block and semi auto rifles.

Most with a .243 in a Ruger #1 B or Rem 700......but have used FNC and AR15, and even a .35 Whelen ripping 250 grainers (wooded setting for hill as backstop).

Smoked one looking at me with a PSE compound way back. Freaked me out............was like that husky in John Carpenter's "The Thing".
I rather dislike making a mess of them. Have head shot plenty but am content to just thump 'em in the chest.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #20
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 14687

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
I don't eat the mice I kill either. Hmm... mouse kababs, just a thought.

I had one under the hood of my truck once. The dog was going nuts so I opened the hood and came face to face with a huge one sitting on top the engine. Scared the bejesus out of me so I slammed the hood and drove down the road a bit (I didn't want the thing around the farm). I pulled off the side of the road and opened the hood again and he went behind the motor. I figured I would just leave the truck there for a bit and he would go away. Just then two guys pulled up and asked if I needed help (hood up and all) I told them I was OK but there was a ground hog under the hood. They both got out because they just had to see that and I realized they had both been drinking, a lot. One picked up a stick and started poking at it so it moved to the transmission. Then the other guy crawled under my truck, asked for the stick and he started poking at it, I just moved away some, (you can't make this stuff up). The ground hog jumped off the transmission and I don't know which one was moving faster, the ground hog or the guy trying to get out from under the truck to get away from it (it was pissed), I nearly wet myself it was so funny. The ground hog took off across a field with two shirtless drunks hot on his heals. I closed the hood and drove home.
Had something similar happen to me about 10 years ago. I drove up into a friend's back field to pull a trans out of one of the parts trucks. I crawl under the truck after putting it on stands with a couple pieces of 2x12 under them, saw something on to p of the trans, so i poked at it with the 1\2 inch driver in my hand. It jumped down, and I still don't know which of us got out from under the truck faster, the hog or me. I was waiting for the friend to come up with some coffee for me, but after that, i didn't need it anymore.

never knew they climb trees. I learned something new today.

A few years ago, I was out sighting in my grandfather's 1903 sporterized Springfield when i spotted something brown moving in the lower pasture. I swept the spotting scope over the area I had seen the movement, and spotted a hog about 200 yards out. Turned around, set the riffle back on the pod, and put the crosshairs on him. Slow, gentle squeeze, and a direct hit. It had been moving toward where I was set up, and I hit it dead on the tip of the nose. What I forgot before pulling the trigger was that I had been sighting in with 185 gr. soft points. My friend, who was out trail riding that morning, rode up and asked me what I had shot. (We have a MAJOR coyote problem on his land, 2 dens of over 30 yotes each.) He rode down to check it out. In his own words, " I found nothing more than a fur covered tube of meat." talk about a mess.

He wound up going back to the house, and getting his dad's 8 mil Mauser. We shot about a dozen groundhogs that afternoon, and we set up for a yote hunt that night. we took out 5 that night using the chucks for bait.

No. we did not keep or eat either the chucks or the yotes. If it was a matter of eat them or starve, I would start considering my own appendages before it came to that. I have eaten chuck, and it is a tough stringy critter no matter how you cook it. Things would have to be pretty dire before I would consider it again.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.