Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > ground hog shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2228 Times on 1448 Posts

I've shot bunches of the bastards. I almost flipped an ATV in one of their holes, it was game on ever since. I had a two year run with my dog, 180 something. He got almost 40 himself. He would chase them down, then grab their necks and shake the hell out of them, then bite down their back breaking their spines. I used a .22, .223 for longer shots, or a .410 for when the dog treed them. What, you didn't know they climbed trees?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #42

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I shot one out of a Apple tree a couple years ago.If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't believe it.I've been shooting groundhogs for 30years first for everything.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

They are very destructive in soy bean fields and damage to pole barns and concrete slabs , they dig around the poles and you know what happens when you have no support on a pole barn or the concrete under it , It comes a crashing down . We had a issue here at work in a pole barn and we have 16 / 6000 gal tanks sitting on the concrete and after shooting 2 groundhogs and realizing we just couldnt keep up we bought a couple conibear traps and that made life easier . We had one that topped 16# . Now as far as eating it I will pass but a couple folks around here consider it quite a delicasy. yesterday was a great day we had a skunk in the conibear and it only had one back leg in the trap , talk about a mess I pawned that cleanup on the other guys here at work . Head shot and he didnt spray but he did decide to leak out a little . Just so you know bleach/water kills the stink and yes this one was in one of our dirt floor pole buildings

Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #44

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I use traps also around my buildings I set them right at the holes.I put old wood around them to funnel into them very productive also wire snares work well to but then u gotta deal with a angry woodchuck teeth

Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim325 View Post
I use traps also around my buildings I set them right at the holes.I put old wood around them to funnel into them very productive also wire snares work well to but then u gotta deal with a angry woodchuck teeth
yup and those suckers are mean , My father in law said he had one chase him when he was a kid , he was throwing rocks and it and it got pissed and got after him . he said he out ran it and it climbed up a tree. who the hell would have guessed those animals could climb a tree