Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > ground hog shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
I was watching a rifle,building video and the host was talking about shooting out a barrel in one weekend on one ground hog colony. So my conclussion was he was either a crappy shot or he killed a whole lot of ground hogs.

Anyway, why do we shoot groundhogs?
Ground hogs use to be part of the eco system, they were the gardners of the praries. Now, because of farming and cattle ranches they became a nuicance. They were in the millions as were the Bison......There ain't much left after you shoot one with a hig powered rifle......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

My bad, I thought prairie dogs and ground hogs were the same thing. Now that I think about it I think he was talking about Praire dogs.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default oops !

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Ground hogs use to be part of the eco system, they were the gardners of the praries. Now, because of farming and cattle ranches they became a nuicance. They were in the millions as were the Bison......There ain't much left after you shoot one with a hig powered rifle......
That should have have read Prarie dogs......Not ground hogs and Bill Murry !

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #14

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Ground hogs in fields where horse are kept are a huge threat. The ground hog holes are very dangerous for horses. If a horse steps in one - especially if moving at anything over a very slow walk - he will most likely break his leg. And that is the end of that horse... Horses with broken legs cannot be saved.

I dealt with this years ago when I worked with horses. I used my Marlin 22 to try to improve the situation.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Horses.....

Theres a method to save a horse with a broken leg. Its a long process as they lift the horse off its feet. This enables the bone to heal. Then the horse is placed in a swimming pool still in the harness to excersize his legs. Race horses are put down when they break a leg because the owner doesn't want to spend the money to rehab the horse. There are ways....

Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #16

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

They will destroy crops and I spoke to a farmer once that said they were climbing up into his barn to get the feed for his cattle. They even dug up pipes under his house and damaged the plumbing. They range from Tx to ND, farmers don't ask your name but how much ammo do you have and kill them all!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #17

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Theres a method to save a horse with a broken leg. Its a long process as they lift the horse off its feet. This enables the bone to heal. Then the horse is placed in a swimming pool still in the harness to excersize his legs. Race horses are put down when they break a leg because the owner doesn't want to spend the money to rehab the horse. There are ways....
Yes, I'm familiar. That is extreme stuff. And most horses could not tolerate that - being suspended for months.
I had trouble enough with just abscessed hoof healings. Stalling the horse, trying to keep it quiet and under control, and clean - if it is a fiery horse by nature (such as Arab) - was tough. Psychologically difficult for the horse.
I can't imagine all the troubles associated with trying to sling a horse for months!

I think many horse owners go through that thought process - about how to save a horse with a bad leg.

But I appreciate your comments.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Yes, I'm familiar. That is extreme stuff. And most horses could not tolerate that - being suspended for months.
I had trouble enough with just abscessed hoof healings. Stalling the horse, trying to keep it quiet and under control, and clean - if it is a fiery horse by nature (such as Arab) - was tough. Psychologically difficult for the horse.
I can't imagine all the troubles associated with trying to sling a horse for months!

I think many horse owners go through that thought process - about how to save a horse with a bad leg.

But I appreciate your comments.
So why do we go to extremes to save one human life when we know that there is no chance of this person being able to fend for them selves. Curios mines want to know......

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Because there are times we treat horses and dogs better than people.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

About 17 years ago I was quietly (more or less) bush hogging a meadow I owned on my older than me Super C tricycle tractor. Suddenly the tractor front dropped with a crash, I broke off the steering wheel and slid forward across the hood with a now broken rib and bruised thighs as the back end of the tractor continued forward and up as it prepared to somersault on top of me. It didn't TG.

I disengaged myself, turned the engine off, crawl/limp/fell off and inspected. The front tricycle wheel had dropped into a new groundhog hole with enough forward momentum to snap the front wheel clean off as the tractor tried to continue forward. It took months for me to breath or walk without pain. Today there is a two wheel front on that tractor and there are no more groundhogs in that field.

The war was now on. Initially, I used to shoot them, but it was inefficient. Back off 200 yards and hope one shows himself. Sometimes 2 or 3 days would result in only one showing himself. I learned better was smoke. Find the holes, then set off a smoke bomb or 5 in each hole, then using a shovel cover the hole entrance with earth as the pots burn. Look for smoke coming up out of other holes you may not have found yet, then cover/seal them too. If you have done it right you will walk around the field and hear faint coughs and choking noises coming out of the ground for awhile. Very cool and very final.

A friend who owns race horses had one of her best money earners break it's leg on a ground hog hole and she had to put it down. Her solution was actually better and cheaper than mine and I admire her ingenuity and will always wonder how she thought of it. She finds a hole, then puts a few unwrapped sticks of Wrigely's chewing gum near the hole. The next day the gum is gone and a few days later so are the groundhogs.