good hunting dogs? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > good hunting dogs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1529 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Here is my rabbit hound, this is Frank, got him from a lady that did not like him bringing baby rabbits up from the field. (Alive)............Got a hell of a nose on him........

frank.jpg  

Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Think you could hook a man up? I used to raise them myself, but I haven't had one in my home since I enlisted around ten years ago.my niece has one, and its made me realize just how much I've been missing the breed.
Sorry can't help you there. He doesn't care for shipping dogs. He's more of a old fashioned meet and greet person. Just look online. There are some people who will ship to you. Just make sure it's a dam good price. If the price is pretty high make sure the dog's registered.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #23

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Nasty

Sorry can't help you there. He doesn't care for shipping dogs. He's more of a old fashioned meet and greet person. Just look online. There are some people who will ship to you. Just make sure it's a dam good price. If the price is pretty high make sure the dog's registered.
Where does he live? I'd rather do it face to face too.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Eastern Oklahoma

Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #25

Liked 2448 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 558

American Fox Walkers make decent general purpose dogs. I've seen them work down here in Georgia on deer, and hogs. Some get trained as scent dogs, others as sight/chase and bay dogs. For hogs a lot of guys down here use mastiffs and Pit Bulls as the catch dogs.

Seeing a good team of dogs is really something to behold. Scent dog finds a trail and sounds off, and begins tracking, if they get within sight the sight/chase/bay dogs take off and sound off. The bay dogs will corner and hold game at bay, until a catch dog is brought in to wear the game down or the hunter comesand finishes it off. Some hunters here prefer to catch their hogs live, then let them calm down before they finish them and shoot them. Supposed to reduce adrenaline in the meat.

Don't forget terriers for small game like ground squirrels and cotton tails. You may laugh, but I've got a pretty agressive yorkie that relentlessly tracks down rats along the drainage ditch near our property, and he goes after snakes and lizards too. Tangled with a oposum once and held ituntil my lab got there and finished it off. Unfortunately my lab does not seem to come by hunting very naturally. Heck he retreives well but he never took to letting you have anything back after he got ahold of it. but when that yorkie hits something he will join in. If you find a dog that has the insticts this strong, then work with it. That little dog loves to hunt and get rewarded.
You say "squirrel" and he's jumping at the door.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #26

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I raised and trained springer spaniels as a kid as bird dogs and they do that job perfectly.

As previous posters stated the dog you're going to use really depends on what you're hunting. I breed Rottweilers and Shepards now and they are great dogs as well. Shepards do well with tracking but they are a herder so by the time you catch up to your game it will be half destroyed because they tend to play with prey.

Rotties are better for bigger game like hogs. They have the stamina to outlast them but not the speed needed for most small game.

Truth is "any" dog can do "any" job. It just depends on their temperament and how easy it will be to teach them what they need to do. Hounds and retrievers are great hunters because it's what they've been bred for. It's in their genetics. But don't let someone tell you that you can't use a Rottie for duck hunting! I use mine!

Check him out at www.backwardsdog.com he's the boy in the "about the trainer" section.

Also, they take ALOT of work to get good but some of the best hunters I've seen are Weimaraners.