good hunting dogs?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > good hunting dogs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default good hunting dogs?

This thread might irritate some folks so keep that in mind....
what are some dog breeds that are good for hunting?Now im not to sure on rules of hunting because they differ,but i was looking at wolf hybrids, rottweilers and German shepherds.I was mainly going to have the dog track mid size game and retrieve small game.Now i was wondering if having a dog retrieve small game is ok for prairie dog hunting i've only heard people talk about retrieving ducks but i was going to have the dog retrieve prairie dogs.Can i do this?Also i've seen videos of people hunting and sometimes the animal they shoot runs away, so i would use the dog to either hold it down so i can catch up and finish the job if i happen to not kill it with one bullet or i would have the dog help me find where ever it ran to and died.

Sorry for these stupid questions like i said im not to familiar with hunting but im going to be doing my homework and reading up on it.After reading about German shepherds i found they were bread to guard things, I still think it may be possible to trail them but i have also heard they might bite to hard.Same thing with the other dogs listed, and the wolf hybrids instincts may take over and the dog might start eating whatever i hunt. I have had a lab before and heard they are great but i like the look and behavior of the dogs listed and as a bonus they can also protect my home.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
This thread might irritate some folks so keep that in mind....
what are some dog breeds that are good for hunting?Now im not to sure on rules of hunting because they differ,but i was looking at wolf hybrids, rottweilers and German shepherds.I was mainly going to have the dog track mid size game and retrieve small game.Now i was wondering if having a dog retrieve small game is ok for prairie dog hunting i've only heard people talk about retrieving ducks but i was going to have the dog retrieve prairie dogs.Can i do this?Also i've seen videos of people hunting and sometimes the animal they shoot runs away, so i would use the dog to either hold it down so i can catch up and finish the job if i happen to not kill it with one bullet or i would have the dog help me find where ever it ran to and died.

Sorry for these stupid questions like i said im not to familiar with hunting but im going to be doing my homework and reading up on it.After reading about German shepherds i found they were bread to guard things, I still think it may be possible to trail them but i have also heard they might bite to hard.Same thing with the other dogs listed, and the wolf hybrids instincts may take over and the dog might start eating whatever i hunt. I have had a lab before and heard they are great but i like the look and behavior of the dogs listed and as a bonus they can also protect my home.
IMO a working(hunting) dog and a guard dog (everything you've listed) are very different.. A good working dog for what your wanting is going to be a type of hound or beagle, labs are also very loyal hunting dogs.. I've never heard of any of the dogs you listed working with hunting.. I've grown up with labs and they will do anything they can to please you in the field they IMO are the classic working dog but the beagles and hound dogs are going to be your best trailers (blood) dogs... Keep doing research, just my 2 cents..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #3

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

the best hunting dog ive ever had was a springer spaniel very inteligent and easy to train,all i hunted with her was small game quail,pheasant and duck though.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1
the best hunting dog ive ever had was a springer spaniel very inteligent and easy to train,all i hunted with her was small game quail,pheasant and duck though.
Ahhh yes, the spaniels are good bird dogs as well!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7093 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

Depends on what you are hunting and how. There are pointers, retrievers, scent hounds, sight hounds, tracking dogs, etc. You have to get the right kind of dog for the job. They aren't so good at multitasking because of their genetics and instincts.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

As said- one size does NOT fit all. My rabbit dogs were beagles- small dogs, LOVED to run rabbits- towards me. Pointers for upland birds are entirely different. Retrievers (Golden, Labs, etc) for bringing back the ducks. Hounds- Blue Tick, Redbone, etc, for giving chase to larger game (deer, raccoon). Shepherds and larger dogs HAVE been used as hunting dogs in Europe for years- for giving chase or bringing down deer, stags, pigs, etc.

You also need to check your state game laws- some areas do not permit deer hunting with dogs. Other areas (different terrain) it is a necessity.

Forget retrieving prairie dogs. With ANYTHING, including yourself. They are carriers of Bubonic Plague- the Black Death that killed off a large chunk of Europe. Transmitted by their fleas. Yes, here in the US- Few cases each year in CO, NM, etc. Leave them alone. Prairie dogs are rodents- they will clean up anything you leave.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pay attention to C3s advice. We have a number of cases of the Plague every year. Never touch a dead P'Dog or let your pets range over towns. Camping near Dog Towns can be a danger.Never let small children play around Dog Mounds. I recall some 30 years ago when some nonresidents died on the trip home.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Forget retrieving prairie dogs. With ANYTHING, including yourself. They are carriers of Bubonic Plague- the Black Death that killed off a large chunk of Europe. Transmitted by their fleas. Yes, here in the US- Few cases each year in CO, NM, etc. Leave them alone. Prairie dogs are rodents- they will clean up anything you leave.
Holy smokes! Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that bit of info.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #9

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

yeah thanks for the info you probably saved my dogs life and or mine. ill probably get a shepherd then. How good are they for tracking?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
yeah thanks for the info you probably saved my dogs life and or mine. ill probably get a shepherd then. How good are they for tracking?
If your wanting to go tracking look into blood hounds, blue ticks, red bones, plotts, treeing walkers and such. Forget the German shepherd for that. The dogs I mentioned are all trail dogs born and bred. What are you specifically wanting them to trail because all have a basic thing/varmint they trail/do best.