good hunting dogs?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > good hunting dogs?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beastmode986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 967
Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default good hunting dogs?

This thread might irritate some folks so keep that in mind....
what are some dog breeds that are good for hunting?Now im not to sure on rules of hunting because they differ,but i was looking at wolf hybrids, rottweilers and German shepherds.I was mainly going to have the dog track mid size game and retrieve small game.Now i was wondering if having a dog retrieve small game is ok for prairie dog hunting i've only heard people talk about retrieving ducks but i was going to have the dog retrieve prairie dogs.Can i do this?Also i've seen videos of people hunting and sometimes the animal they shoot runs away, so i would use the dog to either hold it down so i can catch up and finish the job if i happen to not kill it with one bullet or i would have the dog help me find where ever it ran to and died.

Sorry for these stupid questions like i said im not to familiar with hunting but im going to be doing my homework and reading up on it.After reading about German shepherds i found they were bread to guard things, I still think it may be possible to trail them but i have also heard they might bite to hard.Same thing with the other dogs listed, and the wolf hybrids instincts may take over and the dog might start eating whatever i hunt. I have had a lab before and heard they are great but i like the look and behavior of the dogs listed and as a bonus they can also protect my home.


beastmode986 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 91
Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
This thread might irritate some folks so keep that in mind....
what are some dog breeds that are good for hunting?Now im not to sure on rules of hunting because they differ,but i was looking at wolf hybrids, rottweilers and German shepherds.I was mainly going to have the dog track mid size game and retrieve small game.Now i was wondering if having a dog retrieve small game is ok for prairie dog hunting i've only heard people talk about retrieving ducks but i was going to have the dog retrieve prairie dogs.Can i do this?Also i've seen videos of people hunting and sometimes the animal they shoot runs away, so i would use the dog to either hold it down so i can catch up and finish the job if i happen to not kill it with one bullet or i would have the dog help me find where ever it ran to and died.

Sorry for these stupid questions like i said im not to familiar with hunting but im going to be doing my homework and reading up on it.After reading about German shepherds i found they were bread to guard things, I still think it may be possible to trail them but i have also heard they might bite to hard.Same thing with the other dogs listed, and the wolf hybrids instincts may take over and the dog might start eating whatever i hunt. I have had a lab before and heard they are great but i like the look and behavior of the dogs listed and as a bonus they can also protect my home.
IMO a working(hunting) dog and a guard dog (everything you've listed) are very different.. A good working dog for what your wanting is going to be a type of hound or beagle, labs are also very loyal hunting dogs.. I've never heard of any of the dogs you listed working with hunting.. I've grown up with labs and they will do anything they can to please you in the field they IMO are the classic working dog but the beagles and hound dogs are going to be your best trailers (blood) dogs... Keep doing research, just my 2 cents..


JTEX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live Oak,California
Posts: 1,692
Liked 458 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 1406

Default

the best hunting dog ive ever had was a springer spaniel very inteligent and easy to train,all i hunted with her was small game quail,pheasant and duck though.
__________________
No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.
rifleman1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 91
Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1
the best hunting dog ive ever had was a springer spaniel very inteligent and easy to train,all i hunted with her was small game quail,pheasant and duck though.
Ahhh yes, the spaniels are good bird dogs as well!
JTEX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 24,995
Liked 8554 Times on 5105 Posts
Likes Given: 11189

Default

Depends on what you are hunting and how. There are pointers, retrievers, scent hounds, sight hounds, tracking dogs, etc. You have to get the right kind of dog for the job. They aren't so good at multitasking because of their genetics and instincts.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,892
Liked 10429 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Default

As said- one size does NOT fit all. My rabbit dogs were beagles- small dogs, LOVED to run rabbits- towards me. Pointers for upland birds are entirely different. Retrievers (Golden, Labs, etc) for bringing back the ducks. Hounds- Blue Tick, Redbone, etc, for giving chase to larger game (deer, raccoon). Shepherds and larger dogs HAVE been used as hunting dogs in Europe for years- for giving chase or bringing down deer, stags, pigs, etc.

You also need to check your state game laws- some areas do not permit deer hunting with dogs. Other areas (different terrain) it is a necessity.

Forget retrieving prairie dogs. With ANYTHING, including yourself. They are carriers of Bubonic Plague- the Black Death that killed off a large chunk of Europe. Transmitted by their fleas. Yes, here in the US- Few cases each year in CO, NM, etc. Leave them alone. Prairie dogs are rodents- they will clean up anything you leave.
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Pay attention to C3s advice. We have a number of cases of the Plague every year. Never touch a dead P'Dog or let your pets range over towns. Camping near Dog Towns can be a danger.Never let small children play around Dog Mounds. I recall some 30 years ago when some nonresidents died on the trip home.
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jordan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Defiance,Ohio
Posts: 1,255
Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Forget retrieving prairie dogs. With ANYTHING, including yourself. They are carriers of Bubonic Plague- the Black Death that killed off a large chunk of Europe. Transmitted by their fleas. Yes, here in the US- Few cases each year in CO, NM, etc. Leave them alone. Prairie dogs are rodents- they will clean up anything you leave.
Holy smokes! Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that bit of info.
__________________
Everybody needs a little Devastation!
jordan89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beastmode986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 967
Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default

yeah thanks for the info you probably saved my dogs life and or mine. ill probably get a shepherd then. How good are they for tracking?
beastmode986 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
yeah thanks for the info you probably saved my dogs life and or mine. ill probably get a shepherd then. How good are they for tracking?
If your wanting to go tracking look into blood hounds, blue ticks, red bones, plotts, treeing walkers and such. Forget the German shepherd for that. The dogs I mentioned are all trail dogs born and bred. What are you specifically wanting them to trail because all have a basic thing/varmint they trail/do best.


Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Hunting with dogs gaeilgeoir Hunting Forum 7 08-25-2011 12:11 AM
Hunting Dogs Shihan Hunting Forum 18 10-05-2010 02:04 PM
Weenie dogs for deer hunting spittinfire Hunting Forum 20 09-08-2010 06:56 AM
Good hunting in UK Davyboy Hunting Forum 5 06-27-2010 10:29 PM



Newest Threads