Good air rifle for squirls
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Good air rifle for squirls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good air rifle for squirls

I have been looking for a powerfull .22 air rifle. Its main purpose would be squirl hunting. I'v tried to use a .177 cal airgun with a MV of 625fps. Im shure some of those squirls Iv shot are reading this right now laughing at me! Even though my shots werent always headshots, I still think that SOME of those squirls should have been dropped considering I shot them from less than 20 feet away. Whitch leads me to my question, whats a good .22 airgun that delivers enough power to make a dead squirl at about ten yards or so that wont cost me more than $300 (thats a firm 300 bucks). I cant shoot a firearm in my backyard where I live so rimfire is out of the question.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #2

I have a modified crossman 2250 that shoots at 1200 FPS when warm out or with a heated Co2 cartridge.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkid9mm View Post
I have been looking for a powerfull .22 air rifle. Its main purpose would be squirl hunting. I'v tried to use a .177 cal airgun with a MV of 625fps. Im shure some of those squirls Iv shot are reading this right now laughing at me! Even though my shots werent always headshots, I still think that SOME of those squirls should have been dropped considering I shot them from less than 20 feet away. Whitch leads me to my question, whats a good .22 airgun that delivers enough power to make a dead squirl at about ten yards or so that wont cost me more than $300 (thats a firm 300 bucks). I cant shoot a firearm in my backyard where I live so rimfire is out of the question.
if its not legal to use a rimfire i would suggest its not a good idea to use anything to kill a squirrel? and are you eating any of these that you have shot? do you currently have your hunting license?
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I picked up the Gamo .177 It came with a scope and rings, camo composite stock and 1250 fps. They do offer one in the .22. Very flat shooting once you get use to the 500 lb trigger pull

Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Likes Given: 3

brother, i have shot grey " squirl "'s from 20 meters with .22 lr subsonics and watched them run and jump to another tree ... our walnut tree has had them get "stuck" several times. .. our woods are a graveyard of these little invasive bastards, ... use a .22 ...

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
if its not legal to use a rimfire i would suggest its not a good idea to use anything to kill a squirrel? and are you eating any of these that you have shot? do you currently have your hunting license?
i have to agree, most city ordinances ban discharging a firearm within city limits, and by the ordinance, an airgun is considered a firearm. now if its just because you have neighbors behind your backyard, then even an airgun could be dangerous. just something to think about.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I have a crossman XT paid a little over 100 dollars for it at walmart shoots .177, the main thing with air guns is your fallow through has to be a lot better then with your regular rifle (the pellet takes longer to leave the barrel) I've had 1" groups at 30 yards with it but it took me a little while. But with the adjustable trigger and all that I've been able to pick off birds no problem.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I have a crossman XT paid a little over 100 dollars for it at walmart shoots .177, the main thing with air guns is your fallow through has to be a lot better then with your regular rifle (the pellet takes longer to leave the barrel) I've had 1" groups at 30 yards with it but it took me a little while. But with the adjustable trigger and all that I've been able to pick off birds no problem.
+1 on the Crosman XT. I have one as well. The trick is to not hold the forearm. Simply rest it in the palm of your hand. Mine likes the Crosman Premium pointed pellets. It's good to maybe 35 yards or so. But I do prefer a .22LR for squirrels.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2382 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 685

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-rimfire-vs-air-rifle-suburban-settings-52356/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Bunch of squirrel killers here. Let me know when its open season on drug-dealers. I'm in