Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Good air rifle for squirls (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/good-air-rifle-squirls-52884/)

gunkid9mm 12-01-2011 11:12 PM

Good air rifle for squirls

I have been looking for a powerfull .22 air rifle. Its main purpose would be squirl hunting. I'v tried to use a .177 cal airgun with a MV of 625fps. Im shure some of those squirls Iv shot are reading this right now laughing at me! Even though my shots werent always headshots, I still think that SOME of those squirls should have been dropped considering I shot them from less than 20 feet away. Whitch leads me to my question, whats a good .22 airgun that delivers enough power to make a dead squirl at about ten yards or so that wont cost me more than $300 (thats a firm 300 bucks). I cant shoot a firearm in my backyard where I live so rimfire is out of the question.

ACRhino 12-01-2011 11:41 PM

I have a modified crossman 2250 that shoots at 1200 FPS when warm out or with a heated Co2 cartridge.

jjfuller1 12-01-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunkid9mm (Post 641329)
I have been looking for a powerfull .22 air rifle. Its main purpose would be squirl hunting. I'v tried to use a .177 cal airgun with a MV of 625fps. Im shure some of those squirls Iv shot are reading this right now laughing at me! Even though my shots werent always headshots, I still think that SOME of those squirls should have been dropped considering I shot them from less than 20 feet away. Whitch leads me to my question, whats a good .22 airgun that delivers enough power to make a dead squirl at about ten yards or so that wont cost me more than $300 (thats a firm 300 bucks). I cant shoot a firearm in my backyard where I live so rimfire is out of the question.

if its not legal to use a rimfire i would suggest its not a good idea to use anything to kill a squirrel? and are you eating any of these that you have shot? do you currently have your hunting license?

Birddogyz 12-04-2011 01:25 AM

I picked up the Gamo .177 It came with a scope and rings, camo composite stock and 1250 fps. They do offer one in the .22. Very flat shooting once you get use to the 500 lb trigger pull :(

Tailypoe 12-04-2011 09:15 AM

brother, i have shot grey " squirl "'s from 20 meters with .22 lr subsonics and watched them run and jump to another tree ... our walnut tree has had them get "stuck" several times. .. our woods are a graveyard of these little invasive bastards, ... use a .22 ...

Axxe55 12-04-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 641364)
if its not legal to use a rimfire i would suggest its not a good idea to use anything to kill a squirrel? and are you eating any of these that you have shot? do you currently have your hunting license?

i have to agree, most city ordinances ban discharging a firearm within city limits, and by the ordinance, an airgun is considered a firearm. now if its just because you have neighbors behind your backyard, then even an airgun could be dangerous. just something to think about.

unclebear 12-05-2011 11:23 AM

I have a crossman XT paid a little over 100 dollars for it at walmart shoots .177, the main thing with air guns is your fallow through has to be a lot better then with your regular rifle (the pellet takes longer to leave the barrel) I've had 1" groups at 30 yards with it but it took me a little while. But with the adjustable trigger and all that I've been able to pick off birds no problem.

dks7895 12-05-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 643811)
I have a crossman XT paid a little over 100 dollars for it at walmart shoots .177, the main thing with air guns is your fallow through has to be a lot better then with your regular rifle (the pellet takes longer to leave the barrel) I've had 1" groups at 30 yards with it but it took me a little while. But with the adjustable trigger and all that I've been able to pick off birds no problem.

+1 on the Crosman XT. I have one as well. The trick is to not hold the forearm. Simply rest it in the palm of your hand. Mine likes the Crosman Premium pointed pellets. It's good to maybe 35 yards or so. But I do prefer a .22LR for squirrels.

JTJ 12-05-2011 01:48 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-rimfire-vs-air-rifle-suburban-settings-52356/

PanBaccha 12-05-2011 01:57 PM

Bunch of squirrel killers here. Let me know when its open season on drug-dealers. I'm in :D