Good .243 cartridge for Whitetail - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Good .243 cartridge for Whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

As far as factory loads for deer, I have taken deer very satisfactorily with the Remington 100 gr Core-lokt and the Federal Premium 100 gr Nosler Partition. This year I was using the Winchester 100 gr power max bonded, but I didn't get a shot at a deer. I would also not hesitate to use the Federal Fusion load or the Hornady SST loads. I would expect any of these loads to perform well on deer out to about 250 yards or so, with proper shot placement. The .243 doesn't have much power to spare, so shot placement is a little more critical than with a .270 or .30-06.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #12

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Man what is with all the hate towards the 243 on this board?

The 243 will kill anything up to elk with authority. You just need to do your part. Now would a 243 be my first choice for bear HELL NO. But, I would never feel under-gunned taking just about every other game in the lower 48 with a 243. SHOT PLACEMENT is KEY. If you can't shoot it doesn't matter what caliber you use.

A gut shot deer at 200 yards with a 243 is the same as a gut shot deer at 200 with a 300 win mag.

It is not a problem with the cartridge it is a problem with piss poor shooters who take no time to learn their rifle or hone their Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM). Like I said in the other thread. I would go after deer with my 223 and never feel under gunned if I were allowed to. In a 223 though I would step up to only using a premium hunting bullet like a Nosler Partition or Swift Scirocco II.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #13

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Man what is with all the hate towards the 243 on this board?

The 243 will kill anything up to elk with authority. You just need to do your part. Now would a 243 be my first choice for bear HELL NO. But, I would never feel under-gunned taking just about every other game in the lower 48 with a 243. SHOT PLACEMENT is KEY. If you can't shoot it doesn't matter what caliber you use.

A gut shot deer at 200 yards with a 243 is the same as a gut shot deer at 200 with a 300 win mag.

It is not a problem with the cartridge it is a problem with piss poor shooters who take no time to learn their rifle or hone their Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM). Like I said in the other thread. I would go after deer with my 223 and never feel under gunned if I were allowed to. In a 223 though I would step up to only using a premium hunting bullet like a Nosler Partition or Swift Scirocco II.
I did not notice any hate for the .243. Now you did state shot placement is key. A 100gr 6mm will create a smaller wound channel and transfer less energy then a 165gr .308 at 200 yards. On Paper the .243 should be able to reach out to 400 yards for Whitetail w/ 100gr., the problem is outside forces on the bullet. Because of its' light weight, it is more inclined to impact different then its' POA w/ wind, high or low humidity.... There are lots of folks that use it w/ great success, but it is not a round that some feel comfortable with. I use a 6.5 and for years was told it was to small. It was funny when the .260 came out and guys thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. These were the same guys that told me my 6.5, with the same bullet that had a faster velosity was not enough. Shoot what you feel comfortable with.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I did not notice any hate for the .243. Now you did state shot placement is key. A 100gr 6mm will create a smaller wound channel and transfer less energy then a 165gr .308 at 200 yards. On Paper the .243 should be able to reach out to 400 yards for Whitetail w/ 100gr., the problem is outside forces on the bullet. Because of its' light weight, it is more inclined to impact different then its' POA w/ wind, high or low humidity.... There are lots of folks that use it w/ great success, but it is not a round that some feel comfortable with. I use a 6.5 and for years was told it was to small. It was funny when the .260 came out and guys thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. These were the same guys that told me my 6.5, with the same bullet that had a faster velosity was not enough. Shoot what you feel comfortable with.
This discusion is one that has played out many times here in my area. As a teenager (1973) the top weapons used for deer (mule,whitetail 120 to 210 lbs), Elk ( 900-1,000 lbs), Bear ( heaveyest average 350lbs). Were the 270 30-06 and the 243 yes there was other cal.'s but this covers the most. I have seen on more than a few hunts a 150 ish deer brought down at the 400 yd mark with a 243 90 gr hot core speer. It wasnt till the ammo people needed to up sale's And all the gun mags. started publishing new calibers. Telling every one that it is crazy to hunt wild game without the new cal. 8mm rem mag. (as example) I am sure you older guy's remember these time's in the gun world. WOW there were so many cal's brought out. everyone had to have the newest and the best. Today I go hunting coes whitetail in my backyard (white mnts in az next to new mexico) they average 80lbs, A trophy starts in the 130 area. Being hunted in bushy areas were a 400yd shot is hard to come by. with cal's warbird' from lazzorony 338 win, 300 win just to name a few. Now I shoot a 6x284 with a 100gr. for every thing. Most of the local's who have hunted most of their lives here use a 22-250 for the small deer. So lets just say the 243 is more than enough for deer. As long as you are not educated through guns and ammo mag. Which I remember one artical that stated a 308 win. was not good for anything other than a varmit round on thin skin game at 250 yds. And so far what I have read is arguments against the 243 from the the book learned with out practical application. MY 2 cents

Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop
Hey guys just wondering what .243 round would be the most devastating to a good ol' whitetail.
Winchester 100 grain soft point super X killed 4 whitetails 1 javelina n miny othur critters all running less than 30 feet im trying a new round hornady 75 grain hollow point