Good 223 round to take down a whitetail

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Good 223 round to take down a whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good 223 round to take down a whitetail

Last 2 days of rifle season i decided to just try and get some meat in the freezer so i took my 223 out. Its a remm 700 vtr and i have a nikon coyote special with bdc on it which is calibrated for 55 grain 223 bullet. I was actually using 50 grain jhp. I took it out because i was going to head or neck shoot any doe i saw. One day i shot a doe in the head from 30 yards away and dropped it were it stood i took its face off. Then the next day i shot one in the neck at 200 yards away at a full sprint.....was aiming at head but the neck shot dropped it in its tracks. My question is what would one of the best bullets to use for deer but to keep in mind i dont want to stray to far away from the 55 grain because of my scope calibration with the bdc because i do use the gun alot for fox and coyotes. I wasnt sure if i just got lucky with that neck shot for it to drop like that but i really like the way the 223 doesnt really ruin any meat there was a entrance in the neck but no exit. Hunting deer with 223 is very new to me and it never crossed my mind untill this year to use it since its a dead accurate gun. Im just wondering if anyone else out there has experience with a 223 for deer and if your bullet went through to the heart and lungs or will it have a rought time getting through rib cage. I was looking for something that could be effective up to 300 and maybe 400 if need be.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

300-400 yards? Your kind of pushing it. The deer are not huge around here, and I limit myself to 100-200 yards max. How big are the deer in your neck of the woods? I use 65gr Seirra GameKings that I hand loaded.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

The heaviest grain in 22 cal made by Barnes or Nosler, if you really think you need that cartridge.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

very rare will i see a deer out past 250 were i hunt but wasnt sure if i had to shoot a deer at 300 yards what would be the best type of round and grain. the deer around here are usually between 100 and 150 i think. i usually get around 100 pounds of meat of the ones i get. I was just tired of using my 6mm and ruining alot of meat when i hit a deer.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i mean that 50 grain jhp i shot dropped both deer in its tracks but it was a head shot and a neck shot wasnt sure that that round would do if shot in the kill zone if it would pass through its front quarter to the heart and lungs or not

Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

If you are ruining a lot of meat then you are using the wrong bullet for the job. Get one made for the game that will hold together and not break up when it hits bone and your damage may decrease.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

The 55 grainer does have a hard time getting through the rib cage. Sometimes it doesn't even make it to the rib cage. I shot a buck at about 100 yds. one year at an extreme upward angle and the bullet hit the upper bicep on the right leg. I was angling for a heart shot just behind where I hit. The deer took off like a shot (pun intended) and I thought I missed it completely. I shot it on a dead run (another intended pun) and it went down like a pole-axed steer. When I checked the front leg, the muscle had been pulverized but not a single piece of the bullet made it through to the chest...none at all. I changed to some 70 gr. bullets my friend, a commercial reloader, had and never had any trouble dropping a deer again, no matter where I hit them or from how far. I also used that same load for varmints, not wanting to change the zero on my AR-15 and had great luck with it. One day, an interloper from the next farm over the ridge, drove up on his 4-wheeler while I was hunting groundhogs. He saw my "black rifle" and snickered out loud. After a few derisive comments about using "that thing" to hunt groundhogs, one stood up with its back to us about 150 yards away. He said to "try to hit it," so I eviscerated it on the first shot. He never said another word, started his 4-wheeler and went back over the hill.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiex8e8 View Post
very rare will i see a deer out past 250 were i hunt but wasnt sure if i had to shoot a deer at 300 yards what would be the best type of round and grain. the deer around here are usually between 100 and 150 i think. i usually get around 100 pounds of meat of the ones i get. I was just tired of using my 6mm and ruining alot of meat when i hit a deer.
What kind of bullet are you using?

.243 should work well at those distances. You probably just need a different type of bullet. Personally, if I was planning to shot out to 300 yards, I'd go with a 30-06. Personal preference.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Texwood, People who ride around on a 4 wheeler making fun of varmint hunters and their rifles are rare. These people are engaged in what is called a High risk life style.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Texwood, People who ride around on a 4 wheeler making fun of varmint hunters and their rifles are rare. These people are engaged in what is called a High risk life style.
I never made fun of anyone.

Plus, I'm talking deer, not varmints.