Good .223 Bullet for Deer? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Good .223 Bullet for Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Thru And thru at 40 yards. Behind the shoulder on one and went thru the other shoulder. Complete pass thru and it only went about 20 yards down hill after being hit. Now I get to drag it back up the hill...LOVE IT!!! :-)
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Thru And thru at 40 yards. Behind the shoulder on one and went thru the other shoulder. Complete pass thru and it only went about 20 yards down hill after being hit. Now I get to drag it back up the hill...LOVE IT!!! :-)
And a common myth is proven wrong. .223 does have sufficient power to take down a deer efficiently. It also apparently has enough energy to exit the body as well.

Congrats on the deer. I'm hoping I get to try out my Sierra GameKing reloads soon. Pics?

Old 11-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #63

A thing I've noticed in this thread is that different regions have different opinions on the .223 for the most part. This was discussed earlier in this thread but seems to be burried, so let me go over it again.

In the South (I'm mainly talking about the Texas/Oklahoma area since this is where I hunt) our Whitetail deer do not normally grow to monstrous size. .223 IS just fine for these deer. If you go farther North, that may not be the case as the deer can grow to be much larger. The same with Australia. I imagine some of their deer species are much larger than the deer in this area, so .223 may not be a good choice for them.

This is from Wikipedia, but has some pretty good info.

Quote:
The white-tailed deer is highly variable in size, generally following Bergmann's rule that the average size is larger further away from the Equator. North American male deer (also known as a buck or stag) usually weighs 60 to 130 kg (130 to 290 lb) but, in rare cases, bucks in excess of 159 kg (351 lb) have been recorded. Mature bucks over 400 pounds are recorded in the northernmost reaches of their native range, specifically, Minnesota and Ontario. In 1926, Carl J. Lenander, Jr. took a white-tailed buck near Tofte, MN, that weighed 183 kg (403 lb) after it was field-dressed (internal organs removed) and was estimated at 232 kg (511 lb) when alive.[5] The female (doe) in North America usually weighs from 40 to 90 kg (88 to 200 lb). White-tailed deer from the tropics and the Florida Keys are markedly smaller-bodied than temperate populations, averaging 35 to 50 kg (77 to 110 lb), with an occasional adult female as small as 25.5 kg (56 lb).[6] White-tailed deer from the Andes are larger than other tropical deer of this species and have thick, slightly woolly-looking fur. Length ranges from 95 to 220 cm (37 to 87 in), including a tail of 10 to 36.5 cm (3.9 to 14.4 in), and the shoulder height is 53 to 120 cm (21 to 47 in).[7][8] Including all races, the average summer weight of adult males is 68 kg (150 lb) and is 45.3 kg (100 lb) in adult females.[9]

Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Different regions have different laws because they have different pencil pushing politicians who don't know a rifle from a bow making different stupid game laws.

.223 will work reliably for any white tail out to 150 yards.

My wife has taken does that topped 200lbs with .223 and .243 quite often. It's all she hunts with and we've never had to track one of her deer.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #65

After I shot my deer this morning I got a call from the landowner telling me he heard a "huge monster hog" in the next ridge over. I had my 223 howa and my 1911 on my hip so I went over to help ambush the hog. I was thinking that he may have been exaggerating, so I didn't feel undergunned at all...at first. I've never heard a wild boar sqeal, but when I went walking thru the brush and heard that hog squeal, I immediately felt undergunned with that 223 bolt gun. Maybe in semi auto, but not a bolt gun. I won't lie, that sound scared me so bad I was looking for a tree to climb. I got my 357 levergun shooting good today so I will have that out there with me tomorrow. Just thought I'd share that.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #66

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

I wish I could hunt with my .223 here in Colorado I've always wanted to take a pronghorn (about the same size as your average whitetail) with it but here it's not even an option it has to be 6mm/24 cal in order to hunt big game... But shot placement wouldn't be a problem cause it's a tack driver

Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #67

For the sake of the debate, I have more news that you can view and decipher how you see fit. Shot a doe this morning using the 223 fusion bullet. She was 40 yards out and perfectly broadside. Put the crosshairs behind her shoulder and squeezed the round off. At the crack she jumped and fell, got back up and took off not using her front left leg. Lost sight of her after about 30 yards. Waited 30 minutes or so and climbed down. I left the 223 leaned against the tree and grabbed the 357 levergun because I had heard hogs earlier in the morning. Immediately found good blood and took off on the trail. After 50 yards I looked up and she was hobbling off and I couldn't get a shot. Walked up into the field and she was laying down looking at me 200 yards off. My scoped rifle was at the tree stand so I just sat there watching her watch me she got up and limped off after 10 minutes or so. No blood whereshe was laying down at and no sign of where she went. II'm sick to my stomach. Looked for another hour and can not find her. Got back to the house and found out that my scope rings are all LOOSE. Was this the bullets or the calibers fault? I dont think so. Was this my fault? Heck yeah. I should have checked my weapon before entering the field and didn't. Now there is a deer wounded and suffering because of me and my complacency. I'm done hunting for the day. Maybe tomorrow after I locktite my scope ring screws down and sight my rifle back in I'll try again. Today I'll sit in my own disgust and self pity and think about how to fix this where it never happens again. First and foremost I'll be putting locktite on all the screws on this rifle.

Will I be trading my 223 in for a larger caliber? Not anytime soon. But will I be looking into buying something with a bit more knockdown power? Maybe, something I will definitely be thinking about today and tonight while putting locktite on my scope rings.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #68

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
And a common myth is proven wrong. .223 does have sufficient power to take down a deer efficiently. It also apparently has enough energy to exit the body as well.

Congrats on the deer. I'm hoping I get to try out my Sierra GameKing reloads soon. Pics?
You guys don't get it. No one is disputing .223 will take a deer. What we ARE saying is that it is not a very good choice for large animals at any kind of distance.

All the "I took a deer with my .223 at 40 yds" anecdotal stuff does little to prove that it is an ideal deer caliber.

200 Lb does were mentioned. I'd sure like to see a picture of that. Sounds like a fish story IMHO
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
You guys don't get it. No one is disputing .223 will take a deer. What we ARE saying is that it is not a very good choice for large animals at any kind of distance. All the "I took a deer with my .223 at 40 yds" anecdotal stuff does little to prove that it is an ideal deer caliber. 200 Lb does were mentioned. I'd sure like to see a picture of that. Sounds like a fish story IMHO
Not that uncommon for them to get that big in this area. It's not an every day thing either. There's pics somewhere of the first time she did it. Nothing digital though. I'll try to find them when I get home from therapy. 223 and 243 are pretty common for the ladies and the kids here if they have a place that's got shots long enough to use a rifle. As I said on another thread, shots are so close due to the thick brush in this area that a lot of people just use shotguns and don't even own any deer rifles at all.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
You guys don't get it. No one is disputing .223 will take a deer. What we ARE saying is that it is not a very good choice for large animals at any kind of distance.

All the "I took a deer with my .223 at 40 yds" anecdotal stuff does little to prove that it is an ideal deer caliber.

200 Lb does were mentioned. I'd sure like to see a picture of that. Sounds like a fish story IMHO
.223 have been used for decades to successfully take deer. THATS what makes it a good deer caliber for this area.