the golfball method - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

the golfball method

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Not sure where everyone is getting this was shot right now out of season? The video was posted November of 2009 which IIRC is right in the middle of deer season in most parts of the country.

the golfball method - Hunting Forum

As for Mr. Incredible I believe you did poach as you killed a deer out of season. Then to brag about it on a public internet forum is even brighter. I grew up in CA and we were told that if you killed a deer out of season no matter how (Unless hit by car) it was poaching plain and simple.

When I say hit by a car meaning you hit the deer and killed it with your car. Not watched someone hit it with a car then you go back and club it to death like some inbreed idiot.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #22

I think you've misunderstood what transpired tango. I didn't kill anything. While I did go back with the intent of killing the deer, it was dead when I returned to do so. And the way I see it, in season or out, killing it would have been an act of mercy given the suffering it was in. Since it was on the side of the road, discharging a firearm would have been illegal, I intended to do what I thought best.

I'm pretty sure I was within my rights to dispatch the deer the way I intended, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the law dictates that I have to stand there and watch it die slowly and painfully in order to be able to take it. legal or not that doesn't seem right to me, so I won't apologize for intending to do what I felt was appropriate. Its all moot though, since I didn't actually do anything except pick up some roadkill that animal control was unwilling to come take care of.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

It is no uncommon at all here in Colorado to put a deer out of its misery if hit by an automobile or hung up in a fence. It would be in the very high double digits, the number of deer, elk and antelope my Colt Woodsman has put down. Our fish and game department with the free assistance of a vetranarian tried to save some mildly injured deer. After 24 hours in a vetranarians care all had died. Deer have a very delicate system it seems. To let an animal suffer needlessly when you have the ability to end it is cruel. And to let an animal go to waste is a crime. It was about 20 years ago our game department allowed the picking up and using of a road or fence kill. All you have to do is call the local game warden within 24 hours after you retrieved the animal. We also have a list that an individual can get on that the game dept keeps, and this will allow you to recieve directly from the game department any animal they have to put down. What a great idea and a help for our less fortunate citizens.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #24

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
As for Mr. Incredible I believe you did poach as you killed a deer out of season. Then to brag about it on a public internet forum is even brighter. I grew up in CA and we were told that if you killed a deer out of season no matter how (Unless hit by car) it was poaching plain and simple.

When I say hit by a car meaning you hit the deer and killed it with your car. Not watched someone hit it with a car then you go back and club it to death like some inbreed idiot.
Strength of argument:5
Strength of convictions: 9
Validity of point:6
Reading comprehension: 2

Total score: 22/40 D-

Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I saw it done one time when I went hunting near West Point, VA with an ex-neighbor. Works like a champ.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #26

Default Works Great!

This has been around along time.........First time I skinned a deer with a golfball was back in the 70's. (yea, I know I am old).. Tie the head to real tight to a big tree. We used a jeep to pull with, go slow and easy and you have to have someone with a good skinning knife to keep touching the inside of the skin to keep from tearing the meat.........sure saves a lot of hand pulling...........who you calling a red neck??? Thanks, W.T.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Myself and my hunting group use a easy method as long as it is not a trophy we need the cape for. We lay the harvested deer on his belly with front and rear legs straight front and rear supporting the deer on its belly. Then make a single cut from the head to tail. Another cut almost all the way around the neck and about halfway down and around the legs. Then we cape the deer just enough to expose the meat we want to remove. The inside of the cape laying on the ground, makes a clean surface to lay the cut out meat on. Meat recovered is the neck roast, front shoulder roast, backstraps, rear roast and butt roast. Not much meat left for the yotes. Very quick and no guts to mess with. I have done smaller does in ten minutes or less by myself. All of our meat goes in summer sausage and jerky so this works for us. We do quite a few european mounts so once again this works fine. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #28

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Myself and my hunting group use a easy method as long as it is not a trophy we need the cape for. We lay the harvested deer on his belly with front and rear legs straight front and rear supporting the deer on its belly. Then make a single cut from the head to tail. Another cut almost all the way around the neck and about halfway down and around the legs. Then we cape the deer just enough to expose the meat we want to remove. The inside of the cape laying on the ground, makes a clean surface to lay the cut out meat on. Meat recovered is the neck roast, front shoulder roast, backstraps, rear roast and butt roast. Not much meat left for the yotes. Very quick and no guts to mess with. I have done smaller does in ten minutes or less by myself. All of our meat goes in summer sausage and jerky so this works for us. We do quite a few european mounts so once again this works fine. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!
How do you handle the tagging and checking? You take the whole animal to a check point without being field dressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We are not required to take deer in my unit to a check point. As for the carcass tag, we zip tie it to a rear leg as required and, drop the carcuss into a pit on our property.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #30

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
We are not required to take deer in my unit to a check point. As for the carcass tag, we zip tie it to a rear leg as required and, drop the carcuss into a pit on our property.
Damn, that would be nice. Stupid Ohio DNR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!