Going on a buffalo hunt need suggestions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Going on a buffalo hunt need suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Going on a buffalo hunt need suggestions.

Its a meat "hunt" as I don't have room on the walls for a trophy and these buffalo are not put in a cattle pen to be shot. Its spot & stalk on a large ranch and certainly not guaranteed. Anyway I figure that the bring home meat will run about 50-60% of the total live weight. Figure a cow or younng bull could be skinned, quartered and processed over a couple days myself. Also letting the meat age some wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. Thought about a younger bull but not sure if it would provide that much more meat and the cost is a few hundred more for it also.

My plan is to drop the buffalo with a bullet shot 2 inches below the horn & 2 inches behind that mark where it connects to the neck. Not sure which of my rifles to choose for the hunt. Either the 30-06 or the 7mm Rem. Mag. or a 7x57.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions for this hunt as I'm still in the planning stage, but it will be this year.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Now is the perfect time to buy that 45-70 sharps buffalo rifle that you've been wanting!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any of those rifles can do the job. For the .30-06 use at least a 168gr bullet, or a 180 if you can. You need weight and construction as they have a tough hide and a lot of bone. Some type of Bonded or the Barnes X would be my preference.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #4

The one thing that will surprise you is how dark black they are...I'd suggest you practice on an all black (no white, yellow or orange dots either) target at various distances from various angles. You might want to become proficient using cross sticks as going prone may not be an option depending on the conditions (high grass or deep snow). I wouldn't plan on being able to shoot off hand...depending upon how wild they are...you'll probably stalk and sneak up onto them from a knoll and shoot either prone or seated using cross sticks.

American Bison are one tough amigo...that is why the old Buffalo Runners used big cartridges in 44, 45, and 50 caliber...they shot clean through them letting air in and blood out...creating a pneumothorax...it sounds cruel but that is one of the sure fire ways to put one of these bad boys down.

A good friend tried a head shoot on a young bull with a .45 2 7/8" cartridge...(which by the way will take out any large animinal in North American and has successfully taken many in Africa) the 545 grain paper patch bullet went into the skull and slide up the side and lodged half way into the left horn. It knocked him out unconscience and they thought it was over....a minute or two later he got up, shook his head, and begain to slowly go about his business....then another round later in the brisket stopped him.

Better do your homework before you make any final decisions about cartridge and tactics.

www.ofagear.com - OFA's On-Line Pro Shop

Fast is fine...but the Jury is Final!

Last edited by OFADAN; 09-20-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

Default Bullet selection

Under 300 yards 180 grain 30/06 over 300 yards 175 grain 7mm mag I'm thinking Barnes triple shock X bullet, yah that will do it!!! Oh, and good luck!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your ideas & suggestions. Have I decided yet? No but if had to choose right now it would be the Savage ML II shooting Precision Rifle's Dead Center 260 gr. bullet at about 2,100 FPS. I feel like a shot behind the ear would bring immediate death and not be as big a mess as lung shot. I'll let you know as soon as I know for sure, but keep the suggestions & comments coming.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #7

Either caliber will work fine, just be sure of your shot placement. I've taken 2 down using only a .270, but these were pen raised for the meat market. They are a very tough animal! And after you down one, be wary of the others, buffalo are drawn to the scent of blood. It's weird, but true. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 AM   #8

Default Cow is down for the count.

Today was the day of the hunt and the 260 gr. bullet from the Savage ML II did its magic. One to the head did the trick. I need to see if I can locate the bullet but there was no exit. Have to finish cutting up the tenderloins & backstraps into steaks tomorrow they are on ice tonight, & i dropped off the rest of her to the meat processer.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #9

Default Buffalo Hunt

NICE trophy buffalo. No advice needed at this point I guess, however if I were going tommorrow, I would take my 45-70 loaded with some Garret Hammerheads or Buffalo Bore 405 grain heavy loads. Short of that, the 30-06 with a good stout 180 grain load should do the trick. Dan