Gobble Gobble
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Gobble Gobble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gobble Gobble

Just wondering if anyone else was getting fired-up over the upcoming spring turkey season? In Wisconsin turkey season starts around the middle of April and goes for six weeks. That is six, five day periods. I drew the second period this year that starts on April 22nd, my wifes birthday. Thank God for grandchildren, she doesn't have time to miss me, if she even notices that I'm gone.

Last year on the first morning I knocked down a Tom. He was doing that turkey break dance, and being the safe hunter that I am, I nonchalantly stood up, loaded another round, put the safety on, check my watch, looked up and he ran away. I took off after him and eventually kicked him off a roost in a tree, never to be seen again. That was that.

I've been hunting long beards since 1993 and every year is an adventure. I enjoy calling for other people as much as hunting turkeys myself. I'm looking forward to hearing some good stories in the upcoming future and maybe some pictures. Shoot Straight, Stay Safe, Hunter Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It starts here in Georgia in a few weeks,need to break out the turkey calls and get some practice in.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I await with baited breath. In Kansas the youth season starts April 1st. Have a young gent that wants me to help him get his first gobbler. Should be a blast, his dad has been training him on handling a shotgun the last few weekends. I will call for him and his dad will film the hunts.
Us old guys in my unit can get two over the counter tags starting April 8th. Have been very sucessful the last few years on some hunting property a buddy and I own. Should be able to fill our tags with some nice old Toms. We just breast them out and fry up nuggets come the first weekend of pheasant hunting in the fall. Four Toms along with most of a seasons worth of roosters will feed a group of 15 or so for the weekend.
Next week heading to Texas for a little boar and javelina hunting. Might be my last trip down to this ranch, hope to get a large javelina for a nice mount. Will get a chance to try out the new 7mm-08 Ruger rifle.
I to would like to here others gobbler tales this year.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

R-Bolt, a few years ago we had a game feed to raise money for the MD Assoc. One of the guys deep fried some of those turkey nuggets and I must admit, it don't get any better than that.

I read somewhere that your not a true father until you take somebodies else's kid hunting. I hope he enjoys it as much as you do. Shoot Straight, Stay Safe.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Here in Ohio it starts mid-April and runs for 4 weeks. We can only hunt from 1/2 hr before sunrise 'till noon. We can take 2 toms. I have friends come in from Cleveland, Cinci and Virginia. My favorite time of the hunting season. We hunt in the am and fish after lunch. I got 2 last year, one was double-bearded. We take turns calling for each other. Always an adventure, I love it.

I've had the nuggets, but my favorite is smoked breast. The key is to have some water in a pan, so the breast does not dry out. The rest, we make soup. The dark meat gets very tender when slow cooked in a soup. Wild turkey soup served over wild rice is pretty damn good.

BTW, Hunter Joe, you are killing me with the J Love av. I've always had a thing for her.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Filled my tags this afternoon. Have not got my young hunter his bird yet, with poor weather, passing of my dad (cancer), and the young mans missed shots. Just has not come together for him. Today I split my turkey gear up with his dad, and took off on my own for my first turkey hunt of the season. Had high winds all afternoon, but was set up in a ground blind. As I was working my way to the blind heard an hen and Tom calling to each other close. I sat down in some heavy ceder cover and worked the slate call. The turkeys did not answer or come. After awhile I thought maybe I had scared them off getting set up. Worked my way to the blind, open up the shooting windows and got my decoys out. Looked around at the brush and took out the decoys to set up. Dang if I did not scare away a big Tom as I cleared the blind. My fault I should have called and waited befor leaving the blind, he was under ten yards away. I had jumped back in a scratched the idea of using decoys thinking there was more birds close by. About a hour and a half later saw two jakes and a Tom just out of gun range, they could not hear my call in the wind. Another hour and a half past sall a small tom in gun range and let him pass. One half hour later half a dozen hens headed towards me at close range. Got the Benelli SBEII ready with my 3.5" 5 shot turkey loads. Sure enough I saw three Toms following them. I took aim at the number two Tom and fired,instantly I got on the number three bird and fired. The 3.5" 12 gauge shells knocked my 235 lbs. off the bucket I was sitting on. Picked my self up ASAP and saw my two Toms laid out on the ground. Number four Tom was running up a near hill, he was the largest by far. The larger of the two I shot had a 9.5" beard spurs just starting to get a hook, the smaller one had a 7.5" beard and just about the same size spurs. Looks like we will be eating good at our next fall opening weekend pheasant hunt, we like to serve our spring turkeys that weekend. Would have liked to extend my turkey hunt, but very busy at work and home at the present, nice to fill my tags this year in one afternoon. The freezer is getting pretty full with this years game, time to stop shooting and start the BBQ up !!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Way to go, R-Bolt. I'm kinda glad the season does not start here in Ohio intil 4/20. The weather has been bad, and the gobblers I heard earlier this month have not been talking at all since it got cold and rainy. We can only hunt 'till noon, so we fish all afternoon before the beer comes out.

I'm hoping to have a fun hunt like you had.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Turkey season started April 11th here in NC. Since that was Easter weekend and my sister/brother in law were in from out of town hunting was quickly ruled out by Mrs. Spittinfire. My dad and I are planning to go either this weekend or next. I'll definately be spending some time in the woods in the near future.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The youth hunt was last weekend and the regular season starts today in Wisconsin. 4-15-2009. A few of the guys said the kids were successful and they also heard a lot of gobbling. I leave next Tuesday to hunt the second period. Good luck and be safe. Hunter Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Shoot straight & good luck gents!