Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Goat hunts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
00possum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 113
Default Goat hunts

S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.

__________________

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

00possum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mdauben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 441
Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00possum
S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.
Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.
__________________
mdauben is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.
You are very correct. If you want alot of shootin get speed goat tags for wyoming or hunt pigs
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tri70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Siloam Springs,Arkansas
Posts: 1,324
Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default

If you want to shoot a lot, go after prairie dogs. Many states have a problem with them and you can kill till you run out of ammo. Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, North and South Dakota, Wyoming.

__________________

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

tri70 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Or coyote hunting. You can hunt all season long with no bag limit here in Kentucky. No mag capacity limit either (unlike deer hunting).

__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
orangello Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Mtn Goats are more often considered a special if not rare hunting experience. There is no state that would or could provide a shooting gallery on Goats at 10,000 feet in thin air that is -20 on a warm day. This type of hunting requires an Outfitter and a Guide. The tag will be over $1,000 bucks and a good Outfitter service with tips for wranglers, cooks and guides etc. can run over $10,000 dollars for 8 days.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hairbear1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Molong,NSW Australia
Posts: 557
Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Gee I just have to ask a mate of mine if I can go out to his place to nail goats as he's got them there in any size(kids to stinky old Billys),colour and age and as long as I don't slaughter them wholesale as they keep the blackberry bushes and weeds down there's no worries about shooting them.

By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.

__________________

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

hairbear1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sure there is. You can hunt mountain goats right here in Florida where I live. You may not see any, but you can hunt for them.
cottontop

__________________
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Are you joking? Do you know the difference in hunting Mtn. Goats a tropy animal and domestic goats? The hunting of the almost rare Mtn. Goats and shooting domestic farm animals have no relation what so ever.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.
Ah, mail-order brides.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
man dressed as wild goat among herd. downsouth The Club House 29 07-24-2012 08:48 AM
Big money hunts . MobileMarine Hunting Forum 17 11-10-2011 09:21 PM
rare hunts sizir1shotguns Hunting Forum 0 04-25-2011 08:17 PM



Newest Threads