Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Goat hunts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Goat hunts

S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00possum
S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.
Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.
You are very correct. If you want alot of shootin get speed goat tags for wyoming or hunt pigs

Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #4

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

If you want to shoot a lot, go after prairie dogs. Many states have a problem with them and you can kill till you run out of ammo. Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, North and South Dakota, Wyoming.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Or coyote hunting. You can hunt all season long with no bag limit here in Kentucky. No mag capacity limit either (unlike deer hunting).

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

orangello Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #6

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Mtn Goats are more often considered a special if not rare hunting experience. There is no state that would or could provide a shooting gallery on Goats at 10,000 feet in thin air that is -20 on a warm day. This type of hunting requires an Outfitter and a Guide. The tag will be over $1,000 bucks and a good Outfitter service with tips for wranglers, cooks and guides etc. can run over $10,000 dollars for 8 days.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Gee I just have to ask a mate of mine if I can go out to his place to nail goats as he's got them there in any size(kids to stinky old Billys),colour and age and as long as I don't slaughter them wholesale as they keep the blackberry bushes and weeds down there's no worries about shooting them.

By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Sure there is. You can hunt mountain goats right here in Florida where I live. You may not see any, but you can hunt for them.
cottontop

Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Are you joking? Do you know the difference in hunting Mtn. Goats a tropy animal and domestic goats? The hunting of the almost rare Mtn. Goats and shooting domestic farm animals have no relation what so ever.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.
Ah, mail-order brides.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.