Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Goat hunts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/goat-hunts-77663/)

00possum 12-04-2012 02:45 AM

Goat hunts

S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.

mdauben 12-09-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00possum
S there anywhere I can do this? I've seen people do it in California, Hawaii, NZ, and Australia, can someone provide a link to this? And is there anywhere I can do it and not pay per goat? I'd like to pay one price and kill as many goats as I please. Thanks.

Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.

Marlinman 12-09-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdauben (Post 1044925)
Mountain goats are, as the name suggest, generally found in the mountain states of the US and Canada (I can't comment on other countries). You will generally find them in remote and often inaccessible areas (unless there are game ranches raising them, again I don't know about that).

While I'm hardly an expert, I don't know of any state that has an open bag limit on mountain goats. Licenses for such are normally quite limited and often only available by lottery. They are also usually quite expensive ($1000-2000) for out of state hunters. Successful hunts for those unfamiliar with the area being hunted normally require guides which adds even more to the cost.

If you are looking for a cheap, easy hunt with lots of shooting, I don't think mountain goats are the game for you.

You are very correct. If you want alot of shootin get speed goat tags for wyoming or hunt pigs

tri70 12-10-2012 03:12 AM

If you want to shoot a lot, go after prairie dogs. Many states have a problem with them and you can kill till you run out of ammo. Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, North and South Dakota, Wyoming.

Squawk 12-10-2012 03:15 AM

Or coyote hunting. You can hunt all season long with no bag limit here in Kentucky. No mag capacity limit either (unlike deer hunting).

nitestalker 12-10-2012 03:38 AM

Mtn Goats are more often considered a special if not rare hunting experience. There is no state that would or could provide a shooting gallery on Goats at 10,000 feet in thin air that is -20 on a warm day. This type of hunting requires an Outfitter and a Guide. The tag will be over $1,000 bucks and a good Outfitter service with tips for wranglers, cooks and guides etc. can run over $10,000 dollars for 8 days.;)

hairbear1 12-10-2012 08:59 AM

Gee I just have to ask a mate of mine if I can go out to his place to nail goats as he's got them there in any size(kids to stinky old Billys),colour and age and as long as I don't slaughter them wholesale as they keep the blackberry bushes and weeds down there's no worries about shooting them.

By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.

cottontop 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

Sure there is. You can hunt mountain goats right here in Florida where I live. You may not see any, but you can hunt for them.
cottontop

nitestalker 12-10-2012 07:36 PM

Are you joking? Do you know the difference in hunting Mtn. Goats a tropy animal and domestic goats? The hunting of the almost rare Mtn. Goats and shooting domestic farm animals have no relation what so ever. :confused:

orangello 12-10-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1046305)
By the same token in Western New South Wales(Australia) the farmers won't let you shoot them at times because they can get more money for them than sheep on the export market to the Middle East.

Ah, mail-order brides. ;)