ghillie suit
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > ghillie suit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ghillie suit

all of these kits online to make one all of them say "Fire Retardant". What is the purpose of that? is that for safety reasons like if you're in the woods and a forest fire or something breaks out?

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
all of these kits online to make one all of them say "Fire Retardant". What is the purpose of that? is that for safety reasons like if you're in the woods and a forest fire or something breaks out?

I'll be your Huckleberry!

It's mainly because they are manufactured for military use and was adapted for safety reasons. The wearer may be exposed to ignition sources such as smoke grenades or white phosphorous, so they needed a material that would self-extinguish. Also, the material can be used on your rifle and sometimes the barrel flash can cause a fire when you fire the rifle, and it does not catch it, and you on fire OR mainly for everyday hunters, when you are smoking, you miss your mouth and drop your cigarette, the material will not catch fire.

If the ghillie was not flame retardant, some people may panic, jump up, run all over the damn woods, setting everything you come in contact with on fire, in turn starting a massive forest fire that will take extensive and expensive manpower, hours and resources to fight and put out, kill and maim wildlife and destroy valuable forest resources or personal property all because someone forgot the basics of Fire Safety and did not stop, drop and roll in the first place, to put out the damn fire to your gillie, all this could possibly happen, IF......it was not flame retardant.

Not to mention, expose yourself to your target and enemy.

Smokey Bear would also chase you down and kick your ass for setting his woods on fire.

Does that answer your question??

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yea. i just never put the whole puzzle together i guess. I was just looking at one to make for something to do. and maybe use it for hunting.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #4

Default Bushy ridge system

Shane Check out the Mini body veil from Bushy Ridge for about $45.00, its quick to put on & one side is green & the other side is brown go to SERGEANTTS.COM & look up the Bushy Ridge Mini veil system, I bought one a few years ago & use it right over my clothes for coyote or Spring turkey hunting, its nice & light & rolls up to fit in a small bag or pouch Its's a great cover that works, no need for other expensive camo like Mossy Oak or Realtree etc.

Last edited by MAGNUM44; 02-27-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added a word

Old 02-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ghillies will go up in a second. I saw a safety message last week that we had 2 casualties in Theatre due to this very thing.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9944 Times on 4286 Posts
Likes Given: 1572

Just remember- only Moses thought that the burning bush talking was not strange. If the burning bush suddenly jumps up, and starts yelling, screaming, running in circles, and tries to extinguish itself, bad guys, deer and turkeys are likely to notice that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.