getting my first gun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

getting my first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

We're all different with our likes, dislikes and fitting of our firearms. I don't think I could go wrong either with a Mosin. Cost (rifle and ammo), strait bolt so lefties can use it too, .30 cal bullet with more weights/configurations all the time, more scope configs coming out and accessories galore. Smart choice if it fits. I have my M44 around my ranch with me in the winter every day.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I love it, just wish I had a range around to shoot at, I've only put about 15 rounds through it.

I've got a brass Stacker mount coming in next week along with a bore sighter so I can at least get the scope close.

Last edited by genesaika; 08-17-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #13

Likes Given: 6

Brass Stacker, very nice mounts.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm pretty fond of my Browning A-Bolt 7mm mag stainless and synthetic.When I pull the trigger it goes bang, deer goes down,and the real work just begins.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tikka t3 30.06.... My deer have never ran more than 20 yrds... Love my tikka...i have the synthetic stock

Old 04-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

genesailka... you said this is your first gun. OK. That tells me you probably could use some time to develop all the skills of accurate shooting. Go back and look at the opening page of firearmstalk. The article dealing with shooting on a budget could provide some ideas of ways to get that experience.

Follow the directions on the AQT target to develop your positional holds, breathing, trigger squeeze and follow through on sight pictures simulating varrious ranges with out you having to move the target. The article will show you how you can gain these skills on a budget. Say $0.01 - $0.03 per trigger squeeze is achievable if you follow the guides in the article 2nd Ammendment on a budget.

Remember, once you pop the cap you can not call it back... so know what is beyond your target, whether shooting game or plinking. Develope good shooting techniques through practice. Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited by beaufordqrastus; 04-07-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8244 Times on 4247 Posts
Likes Given: 9491

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
Im in south mississippi ( picayune) and plan on buying a rifle. I figure most of what i will do is practice and hunt deer.

Regards,
Gene Saika
I would guess your pretty new at this so I Fixed that for you!

If this is your first gun, it would be reasonable to assume you might not have much trigger time. If thats so, practice comes first, hunting second. If you do good with the practice, then you can add all the other variables of stalking and killing game.

Nobody owns just one gun do they? A nice bolt action 22 is a great place to begin, once your cracking with that, the sky (and ATF) is the limit.
dango Likes This 
Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #18

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Going straight to a centre fire rifle especially something like a .308/ 30/06/ 6.5 with out 1st learning to use something smaller like a .22 to learn proper trigger and breathing control could create problems like flinching.

If you are able to master this size (in calibre) straight off the get go then good on you but I would've been starting off with the .22 to learn about holding the rifle properly ,sight picture, breathing, trigger release as in squeezing and not pulling on the trigger and a million of other things that go with learning to be a reasonable to very good shot.

A .22 is the cheapest way to learn most of the things that make you a better shooter/hunter.

Bad habits like flinching are hard to break especially if your recoil sensitive.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

hairbear1... What do you shoot down there? I thought the fine folks of Australia gave up their weapons a few years back. I agree with you on the practice. That was my point in my comments above. I only do shoot frequently here at home with my air guns. I do shoot both rifle and pistol20 - 50 shots per stand 2-3 times a week. I am not quite as steady now as I was back in the early 60's. Was that hog in your snap taken in Australia?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufordqrastus View Post
hairbear1... What do you shoot down there? I thought the fine folks of Australia gave up their weapons a few years back. I agree with you on the practice. That was my point in my comments above. I only do shoot frequently here at home with my air guns. I do shoot both rifle and pistol20 - 50 shots per stand 2-3 times a week. I am not quite as steady now as I was back in the early 60's. Was that hog in your snap taken in Australia?

G/day mate.....................contrary to the often misguided line of thought that we lost our guns we never have.
There was a gun buy back in 1996 and 2001 to try and stop massacres but all's that did was cost the Australian tax payer half a billion $$$ for no result.

Our Shooters and Fishers Party saved our collective backsides on that.

But the anti window lickers claimed it caused a downward trend in gun killings which was a load of dog's rocks because gun related crime was already falling but the wormy little mongrel who was Prime Minister at the time figured it was a good way to keep his job the lying little rodent.

We have our guns although there's a few guns we're not allowed to have in general like auto guns(military only) but we still have our semi auto shotguns (on a special license),pistols on a pistol license(can't ccw or hunt unfortunately only for comp and if your a copper or security).

We have our bolt action/pump action rifles,air rifles,shotguns(u/o,double barrel and single barrel) and lever actions as well as BP.

We're also allowed up to .50 cal bolt actions as well.

Here in Australia we have ducks,rabbits,hares,foxes,feral dogs and cats,feral horses,donkeys,camels,buffalo, Banteng and scrub cattle,pigs,goats,Magpie Geese, deer(Sambar,Rusa,Red,Fallow,Chital,Menil,Hog),Kang aroo and Wallaby(under permits).

That pig was taken a few years back when my son and I did a cull hunt up in our Northern Territory.(7000klm round trip)
I shot him with my 30/06AI on a M98 action.

I think I posted the hunt report on here back then and his hooks measured up around 25" from memory.
You'd have to go back and search for that story.

Newest Threads