Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Get deer in quick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Get deer in quick

Hey y'all, I just found out yesterday that I am able to go hunt on some of my families land as long as it is with a bow so it is quiet (their neighbors are weird). I know there is deer out on the land along with turkey, but I'm not sure where exactly. I'd like to go out there tomorrow evening and was going to go out there today with corn to lay around. What do y'all suggest to do to bring them in quickly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Best way to find game is to go in at night and spotlight for them. That's what all the wildlife photographers do.

In most states if you are spotlighting you may not have a firearm with you. Probably not a bow either.

Many states do not permit baiting either.

Right now many people use video cam's to record activity on trails, rather than spotlighting.

Watch out for snakes and skunks though. I always wear snake gaiters, day or nite.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Shag,

First of all be sure it is legal to bait or use corn in your state or county where you are hunting. Some states allow it and some do not. I can not recall remembering which state you live and hunt in. Also if the rut is in where you are which at this time it probably is or just starting good. You will technically be baiting for the does if they will stop long enough in the daylight to eat as they are being chased almost constantly at this time of year. The bucks are not too interested in food or corn in the rut "They have something else on their mind!" Bet you can not guess what that is? So if you go out there and put out your corn look for rubs on the trees and scrapes on the ground. If you can find a good scrape which should be close to a rub the bucks will frequent that area. Check for well used game trails especially if there is any water or other sources of food around. It will take some luck also to pull it off in a day. But can be done. Use scent blocker on your boots while you are out walking around. With the bucks being so occupied with the does it may not matter all that much but if they get a whiff of you they will spook and keep in mind they are using there sense of smell more that sight attempting to find a doe.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Most does come into heat during the full moon. A mature buck will still try to breed but he knows the does are not ready so he will feed more than a young buck. If most of the acorns are gone deer will come to corn.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Shag,

First of all be sure it is legal to bait or use corn in your state or county where you are hunting. Some states allow it and some do not. I can not recall remembering which state you live and hunt in. Also if the rut is in where you are which at this time it probably is or just starting good. You will technically be baiting for the does if they will stop long enough in the daylight to eat as they are being chased almost constantly at this time of year. The bucks are not too interested in food or corn in the rut "They have something else on their mind!" Bet you can not guess what that is? So if you go out there and put out your corn look for rubs on the trees and scrapes on the ground. If you can find a good scrape which should be close to a rub the bucks will frequent that area. Check for well used game trails especially if there is any water or other sources of food around. It will take some luck also to pull it off in a day. But can be done. Use scent blocker on your boots while you are out walking around. With the bucks being so occupied with the does it may not matter all that much but if they get a whiff of you they will spook and keep in mind they are using there sense of smell more that sight attempting to find a doe.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Also I live in Oklahoma

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Be VERY careful with the corn or other feed. A relative got a ticket for feeding outside of the allowed feeding season this weekend. I didn't even know there was a limit on when, just on how and how close.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

Well I went out yesterday to survey the land and it was covered in underbrush so today I went and cleared some out. Also, it was covered in deer tracks and I saw a doe yesterday when walking around. Here's some before and after pictures

image-1881586395.jpg   image-2133152895.jpg  

Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Shag,

Looks like a great spot. Did you set up a tree stand or blind? And did you see any rubs or scrapes?
It would be best if you get onto the Blind or stand right before daylight. Or go out in the early afternoon around 2:00pm or 3:00pm and wait until after sundown. Most state laws allow shooting time from one half hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sun down. Check for legal shooting time in your area. If the does are not being chased they normally will bed down in the mid-day. Also depends on how warm or cold it is. And as stated in full rut if they are being chased. Then you could see a buck anytime. But the first of the day and the last part of the day will maximize your chances.
Good Luck! 03

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Shag,

Looks like a great spot. Did you set up a tree stand or blind? And did you see any rubs or scrapes?
It would be best if you get onto the Blind or stand right before daylight. Or go out in the early afternoon around 2:00pm or 3:00pm and wait until after sundown. Most state laws allow shooting time from one half hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sun down. Check for legal shooting time in your area. If the does are not being chased they normally will bed down in the mid-day. Also depends on how warm or cold it is. And as stated in full rut if they are being chased. Then you could see a buck anytime. But the first of the day and the last part of the day will maximize your chances.
Good Luck! 03
I am using a blind, can't afford a stand at the moment since its a last minute type deal. I can't say I saw any scrapes and rubs but I also kinda forgot to look (oops!). I did see a lot of droppings though. And one of the three corn patches I laid out was partially missing with tracks in the middle and all around