Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   German Boar Hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/german-boar-hunting-96286/)

Jagermeister 08-31-2013 10:26 AM

German Boar Hunting

6 Attachment(s)
Reipoldskirchen, Germany
rifle: CZ-550 Synthetic .308.
Scope: Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 illuminated.
ammo: Sellier and Bellot 180 gr SP.
Sidearm: Sig Sauer P226

I was able to harvest a male boar this morning at 0640. He was running full speed down the hill. I was on a small hunting seat. I had to shoot twisting behind me and the rifle was unsupported. It was a perfect heart shot. More meat for the freezer.

Gatoragn 08-31-2013 11:09 AM

Edible vermin, nice.

Isn't male boar redundant? Kind of like a male bull,

What are female swine called, if not sows? Female boar, surely not?

Jagermeister 08-31-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1352581)
Edible vermin, nice.

Isn't male boar redundant? Kind of like a male bull,

What are female swine called, if not sows? Female boar, surely not?

Maybe it is in the US, but over here boar (Wildschwein) is the species and not the gender of the species. So, I shot a boar. I went over to the boar to see if it is a Keiler or Sau.

Wild Boar: Wildschwein
Male: Keiler
Female: Sau

Just like Roe deer is the species, while doe and buck seperates the gender.

alsaqr 08-31-2013 12:49 PM

Congrats on the nice German boar.

Car54 08-31-2013 12:59 PM

That's a good sized pig, good shot.

nitestalker 08-31-2013 01:16 PM

There was a post some where regarding shooting game in Europe? The post stated that once the game was taken the hunter had to pay the state for the meat? Is this the rule in Germany?:)

hkhunter 08-31-2013 01:57 PM

Congratulations! I enjoy your posts and also am a HK fan. How bad are the hogs over there? I live in Louisiana and they are all over the south. I grew up in Arkansas and they were a nuisance as far back as mid 70s. I could hunt them just walk out from the house- they got in our garden frequently.

genesaika 08-31-2013 02:04 PM

Looks like a nice pig! And really nice land too! I'd love to hunt there lol

Jagermeister 08-31-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1352641)
There was a post some where regarding shooting game in Europe? The post stated that once the game was taken the hunter had to pay the state for the meat? Is this the rule in Germany?:)

Yes, if you hunt on state land. I do not. I am charged while hunting on private land, but at hunter's prices. 4.50 a kilo (2 pounds) for deer and pig. I can buy part of the animal too. Sometimes I do not pay. Also, I am in the middle of a deal with a lease owner who is too busy to shoot the required amount of game on his lease. I will hunt and get the meat for free. If you lease a hunting revier, you pay for the lease, but the game is free. When I retire......
Oh, we hunt year round and each species can be hunted year round. For example: Roe buck season, doe and young season, and there is an overlap for all Roe deer in September. Same for boar. In one month I have shot 2 bucks and a Keiler boar. Enough meat for my freezer. I am hunting on labor day again. Hell, I am hunting weekly now. So, sure I pay a small fee for the meat, but I hunt all the time.

Jagermeister 08-31-2013 02:42 PM

Boar are very distructive and cause lots of farm, forest and auto accident damage. Only 5 percent of Germans hunt, so we do not make a dent in the game population.