Generic Whitetail hunting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Generic Whitetail hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Started going along at 7 or 8 making drives (with people not dogs, dogs are illegal for deer here and will be shot by game wardens if caught deer chasing) started carrying a gun at 12 which was legal age at time, mostly drive hunting, occasionally sitting in tree stands over runways or escape route areas or rarely a bait pile. Started with model 94 30-30 then after a couple years used Dad's 06 when I was standing a drive and he was driving he would take the 30-30, then eventually got my own 30-06. 50% blaze orange has been the law here since well before I was old enough to hunt, hat not required but if worn must be orange.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I wear an orange bandana under my hat in cold weather. The bandana helps keep my head warm and there is orange that other hunters can see. I also wear a cheap orange vest. The orange bandanas are $2.50 at Walmart. If my hat gets to warm I still have the orange bandana on my head. If you are in the woods during hunting season you should wear an orange hat and orange gloves at all times. Your head and hands move more than any other part of your body.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 12-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I grew up hunting mule deer (or blacktail, depending on if you were east or west of a certain line) in the hot and arid West. Shots were long, and most folks carried a scoped .270 Win or .25-06. There were always a fair share of .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 243. Win and .308 Win in the sage hills, as well.

Attire was light hiking boots, cotton khaki pants and either a t-shirt or a safari-style light cotton khaki shirt with short sleeves. Temperatures often soared over 100 degrees, and we were often out of the field by 11:00 a.m.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

Liked 363 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I started hunting whitetails when I was 13 with my uncle Don who i regarded as my hero. I started out with an old Ithaca Lever break action single shot 12 Gauge using slugs which I got a four pointer my first morning out with it. I can remember like it was yesterday, we did not use blinds or tree stands we just found a nice big tree and sat up against it on the ground. My uncle Don put me right on the deers trail and he told me to just sit there and be ready for a buck would be coming down the trail right directly. I heard the deer then when I saw him he was no further than 10 feet away from me the. deer sniffed me and I looked that deer right in the eyes. I hesitated shooting it and I also remember the adrenalin rush I got as I ever so slowly pulled up that old Ithaca single shot shaking like a leaf as I pulled the hammer back I remember that startled the young buck then he looked right into my eyes just before I pulled the trigger. he ran about 40 yards and fell about 10 yards away from where my Uncle was sitting. I remember my uncle hollering at me "YOU GOT HIM BOY!" I didn't stop shaking from the adrenalin for half an hour. I was shaking so bad that I couldn't even hold my knife steady enough to field dress the deer I also remember my uncle teaching mr to give thanks to God for the harvest just before dressing the deer.
been hunting ever since. didn't get to go this year due to open heart surgery four weeks ago but I will be out in the woods next season the good Lord willing.

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 12-11-2014 at 06:14 PM.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 12-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4214

I started deer hunting when I was 8 around 1980. I used my grandpa's single shot .410 with slugs and never got a shot at a deer. I got my first centerfire rifle for Christmas when I was 10 and it was a lever action Winchester model 94. Standard set-up was whatever gun you could afford and a platform foot piece climbing stand with a hand climber, and that was it. You would slide the hand piece up the tree and hang on while you pulled the foot piece up with your feet. When you got high enough you turned around and sat on the platform on the foot piece with your legs dangling. Those were the most uncomfortable stands ever conceived of but they worked, and pretty much everyone used that stand or sat on the ground. The two piece climbers like today didn't get popular until the mid 80's.

You would see every gun conceivable while hunting, but lever action 30-30's and surplus military rifles were the most popular. Lots of Mausers and Lee Enfield 303's. But this was a poor region in the early 80's and deer hunting was a poor man's sport back then. Clothing also reflected that. Most people wore surplus Army BDU's or bluejeans and flannel. I remember going hunting with just a couple of bullets many times because I couldn't afford to buy a box of bullets. But there was lots of land you could hunt back then and that's what I miss the most. There was so much public land that you could always find a good place to hunt. But then the hunting clubs came along and started leasing everything and that was the end of public land except for National Forestry, which sucks.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #16

Liked 363 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Yep my second hunting rifle was a Marlin model 336 .30-30 with a Tasco scope got it when I was 15 and still have it.
my hunting attire was long johns flannel shirt, blue jeans, insulated rubber boots and an army jacket and hunter orange vest and toboggan
still pretty much my hunting attire except for I do have some camo shirts and pants that I wear to blend in better when I was bow hunting don't see much need for camo when rifle season is open due to the amount of hunter safety orange that is required, kind of hard to blend in when you are dubbed with blaze orange over 50% of your body.
never bought in the scent blocker clothing for I never saw the need for it.
we always used natural scents like drying our clothes with fresh pine needles and oak bark. washed with anti bacterial soap and no cologne or deodorants.

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA
TLuker Likes This 
Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #17

Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I keep my clothes in a plastic tub during season, toss in a couple of walnuts.
Love the smell of them.

Osage is cool too, but that's on my buddy's northern spot.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My first hunting trip was sheer luck. I was 7 years old on the Arkansas youth hunt with my grandpa. I had never been hunting before so I didn't own any camo. My outfit was a pair of jeans, some cowboy boots and a black jacket plus the orange vest/hat. My grandpa let me use a weather by vanguard 243. Since I had never hunted before I didn't really understand the quiet and still thing. But sure enough soon after dawn a 5 point walked out. My grandpa told me to take it so I set the rifle up. Now never shooting a deer before I was nervous and shaky. Everybody told me where to shoot it in the heart. But at that moment I wasn't very confident in my shot so when I looked through the scope I was just looking for brown. I found the right color and yanked on the trigger way too hard. But when I looked up the deer was running into the woods. My grandpa said I hit it because it kicked but I wasn't so sure. We got down out of the stand and looked for tracks. Couldn't find any blood or hair so we just went into the woods at the last place we saw him. We must have walked around for 2 or three hours when we decided to go back. On our way out my grandpa just happened to look over and see him laying there. It wasn't a perfect shot but I had managed to hit center mass. I have been hooked ever since.
TLuker Likes This