Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   geese (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/geese-81586/)

savageman97 01-17-2013 04:37 AM

geese

I'm supposed to go hunting for geese this weekend on a buddys orchard and I was wondering if u guys had any tips on cleanin them and if a 20 gauge or a 22 would be better

Marlinman 01-17-2013 04:40 AM

22 is illegal here in Missouri unless they are destroying property that is. As to cleaning em....can't help ya.

nitestalker 01-17-2013 04:48 AM

You can dry pick them and then singe them over a flame. I really don't care for them to eat. I just never found eating oil filters to my likeing.:eek:

savageman97 01-17-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1097325)
22 is illegal here in Missouri unless they are destroying property that is. As to cleaning em....can't help ya.

I don't know the law is up here but since they are on private property and in an orchard I could claim they are destroying property?they are eating the fruit from his trees and that's why he called me

Marlinman 01-17-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savageman97 (Post 1097345)

I don't know the law is up here but since they are on private property and in an orchard I could claim they are destroying property?they are eating the fruit from his trees and that's why he called me

Id find out the laws first before I did anything

cgersty 01-18-2013 12:35 AM

I'd stick with the shotgun, in my area the waterfowl laws are pretty strict, if ya do something wrong you get to talk to the federal boys, I would check out your states dnr website and check your local laws and regulations, better safe than sorry, I can't help on the cleaning as I don't hunt em because I don't like to eat them.

Gatoragn 01-18-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1097338)
You can dry pick them and then singe them over a flame. I really don't care for them to eat. I just never found eating oil filters to my likeing.:eek:

Friend of mine gave me some goose sausage last spring, it was edible.

blucoondawg 01-18-2013 01:00 AM

I'd check into the 22 thing, here in WI we have to use shotgun with steel shot or other such non toxic load for waterfowl. As for cleaning them, I would feed them to a good dog. I suppose some sort of sausage may be good as Gatoragn mentioned, I have had a goose sausage stick 1 time though and after the first bite was looking for that dog ;)

nitestalker 01-18-2013 01:45 AM

The Goose is covered under the Federal Migratory Water Fowl Act. You must have a Federal Stamp an LEG stamp and use steel shot. Rifles are prohibited for taking geese that is the rules in the Rocky Mtns.

Maybe you know how:confused: to avoid the Federal Regs.?:confused:

John_Deer 01-18-2013 07:24 AM

You might be able to use the 22 since they are destroying property. I would call your wildlife resources commission to make certain. If you need a permit to kill nuisance geese and you don't have it you will be facing some stiff fines and you will be in federal court.

The best way to clean them is to boil a large pot of water. Then dip the geese in the boiling water. The feathers will come off very easy and the bird will be just as clean as a store bought bird. This method works on all types of fowl.

The best way I have found to cook geese is to par boil them. Then put them on grill or smoker. Use a meat thermometer to make certain they are cooked all the way through. Coating the geese with your favorite BBQ sauce won't hurt a thing, especially if you cook them on a grill. Apply the BBQ sauce about 30 minutes before they are done cooking.