game dressing, processing, and tools

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > game dressing, processing, and tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default game dressing, processing, and tools

OK so I'm pretty new to hunting, I started within the last 4 years, and I've cleaned and butchered, probably in a bad way, at least 5 - 6 animals. I really don't think I'm doing it right so I figured I'd ask here.

How do y'all field dress game? I'm in south Mississippi so it's normally hot and humid. I've been bagging one, immediately take it to my friends place, gut it and toss the guts into the bayou, then take it home to butcher. I feel I should be able to bag at least 2 or 3 before going home, if I get clean shots on legal game.

Now for the actual butchering. I hang then, skin them, and begin removing muscle groups, then I let the meat sit in an ice chest with fresh ice daily for 3 days, then I cut up the meat for bagging. Now I know the hams, loins, and ribs, but the rest is normally separated by size into either stew meat or roasts. Anyone have a good picture or something pointing out the parts?

Finally tools, I would like to maybe make sausage and grind up meat and such, so what tools are generally recommended for processing? I figure a grinder and a sausage press-thingy, but how much should I spend? What about sausage casings? I'd rather not clean my own casings. Right now my tools include my knife, one of those fancy skinning knives with the hook, and a pair of handlebars hung in a tree with a nice chain fall, it works pretty damn well honestly lol.

Of course any other points I may have missed are welcome to be mentioned too.

Edit: also I'm kinda on a short budget so all those fancy freezers and smoke houses are out of the question for now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
OK so I'm pretty new to hunting, I started within the last 4 years, and I've cleaned and butchered, probably in a bad way, at least 5 - 6 animals. I really don't think I'm doing it right so I figured I'd ask here.

How do y'all field dress game? I'm in south Mississippi so it's normally hot and humid. I've been bagging one, immediately take it to my friends place, gut it and toss the guts into the bayou, then take it home to butcher. I feel I should be able to bag at least 2 or 3 before going home, if I get clean shots on legal game.

Now for the actual butchering. I hang then, skin them, and begin removing muscle groups, then I let the meat sit in an ice chest with fresh ice daily for 3 days, then I cut up the meat for bagging. Now I know the hams, loins, and ribs, but the rest is normally separated by size into either stew meat or roasts. Anyone have a good picture or something pointing out the parts?

Finally tools, I would like to maybe make sausage and grind up meat and such, so what tools are generally recommended for processing? I figure a grinder and a sausage press-thingy, but how much should I spend? What about sausage casings? I'd rather not clean my own casings. Right now my tools include my knife, one of those fancy skinning knives with the hook, and a pair of handlebars hung in a tree with a nice chain fall, it works pretty damn well honestly lol.

Of course any other points I may have missed are welcome to be mentioned too.

Edit: also I'm kinda on a short budget so all those fancy freezers and smoke houses are out of the question for now.
First off.. what game? Deer, hogs, squirrels rabbits, coyotes? If its deer sounds liken you have a good setup... perhaps more cutlery

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Ah I always forget to mention the game lol. Mostly deer and hog, though I would love to get some elk at some point... In the future since we don't get many down here.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7141 Times on 3910 Posts
Likes Given: 14453

There are elk in Mississippi?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #5