Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Fur friendly 308 round (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/fur-friendly-308-round-65611/)

00possum 06-01-2012 06:37 PM

Fur friendly 308 round

Was close to getting a 25-06 but couldn't find any fur friendly rounds. So I was gonna ask my grandparents if I could use their 308. I needed it to be a crossover gun so I started looking for fur friendly loads. I found a full metal jacket tul ammo 150 grain bullet. Would it be fur friendly? I need fir friendly loads that won't cost a fortune.

SSGN_Doc 06-01-2012 06:50 PM

Whatcha shootin' and how far?

There are some 130 gr loads but kinda hard to find if you don't reload.

FMJs will likely make a fairly clean entry and exit with little hide/fur damage but not the quickest stoppers. Also check your hunting regs, as many states don't allow FMJs or non-expanding loads for any hunting.

fireguy 06-01-2012 08:28 PM

When I ran a trapline I carried a Marlin Model 60 .22 to pop the coyotes in the head. A .308 won't be very kind to the fur if you want to have a nice pelt. Entrance hole might not be too bad, but the exit could tear it up a lot.

SSGN_Doc 06-01-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 821812)
When I ran a trapline I carried a Marlin Model 60 .22 to pop the coyotes in the head. A .308 won't be very kind to the fur if you want to have a nice pelt. Entrance hole might not be too bad, but the exit could tear it up a lot.

In Georgia a rimfire is required when checking traps. It is one of the most fur friendly rounds, but I'm guessing he was thinking of hunting instead of trapping. A .22 can still get the job done, but you need to be a good caller and good at camoflage to get them in close enough to be real effective with a .22.

Also why I asked about distance and species. Popping beaver, otter, foxes etc. in traps is a bit different than calling in a yote or a bobcat. Two different skill sets. Getting them close enough to shoot is one thing, getting them to stem inside a 3-4 inch circle is another. Both take a lot of knowledge and prep, but the tools can be a bit different.

00possum 06-02-2012 03:53 AM

It can be anything from 300 yds to 30 yds. Its not a trampoline gun I already have one of those. Already checked the regs it's cool to hunt with any bullet. In fact guys just post your idea because I like reading them, then I can look and see if it's legal. Thanks for the replies.

JonM 06-02-2012 04:13 AM

do you reload??

reloading means you can use something like a very tough very heavy bullet at low velocity.

there are 110grn "plinking bullets as well but again pretty much reload only. theose dont have the spitzer type design but look more like a pistol bullet with a rounded nose.

depending on the size of the critter 223/556 would be ideal. leaves very very small holes

WhelanLad 06-02-2012 10:20 AM

22magnum is a deadly round i would use on a dog with head shots an neck shots if you can get em in close.

Otherwise get somethin real hard in .308....hell a tsx even haha