Funny Hunting Stories.... - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Funny Hunting Stories....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is my funny story. Its about my cousin. This would be our second year hunting crab orchard down by carbondale il. I was 15 second hunt I have been on. Since I didn't have a foid card yet I had to shoot beside my grandpa. Shot my first buck opening day. My cousin the next day was set up on the ground right outside of a onion field. He fell asleep about dawn break and woke up around 11. the first thing he saw was a buck. he manages to hit this deer and breaks his spine. He takes two more shots misses them both. Me and my uncle got a call from my cousin dating he hour a deer but ran out of shells. So we take off twards his spot. My cousin is out by the road when we get there. He grabs my uncles gun and takes off to kill the deer. Me and my uncle get the kart to wheel the deer back to the truck once we get to the deer we realized that he managed to hit the deer from about 400 yards away with a 2 3/4 12 ga slug from a smooth bore barrel while sitting on the ground! Every time we talk about that shot we say had to of pointed his gun up in the sky.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay, so did you put him out of his misery or did you free him?
Pity he had to die , but my job was to kill deer , but I did fell sorry for him ..I must say that my family ate a lot of venison in those days but that old stag was not fit for the table .. The farmer didn't eat venison and he just used to drag the carcases into a heap and burn them .. It was not unusual for me to kill 5 or 6 at a time and I often saw mobs of 20 to 30 , but tied up waiting for me only once ..

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #63
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1141 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Default One to remember

Many years ago on one of my first bow hunts, I decided to take a stand on the ground and watch a game trail not far away. It was a cool day and I am fully camouflaged head to toe, I sat on the ground and leaned back against a pine tree. Well, you know how it go's, I dozed off. I don't know how long I was asleep, but suddenly I felt something warm on my face, it was hot air, and as I opened my eyes, I am looking into two big brown eyes with a big black nose in between, needless to say, I rolled over throwing my bow and arrows in the air, at the same time a deer was falling back wards on her ass and scrambling to get footage. The doe had come up to smell me and she got so close to my face I could feel the hot air from her nose on the part of my face that was not covered. Man, if I was ever going to have a heart attack, that was a prime time. It scared the bejeezzzeus out of me and the deer.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt.
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member and a lot more stuff!
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #64
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8318 Times on 4972 Posts
Likes Given: 10776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Many years ago on one of my first bow hunts, I decided to take a stand on the ground and watch a game trail not far away. It was a cool day and I am fully camouflaged head to toe, I sat on the ground and leaned back against a pine tree. Well, you know how it go's, I dozed off. I don't know how long I was asleep, but suddenly I felt something warm on my face, it was hot air, and as I opened my eyes, I am looking into two big brown eyes with a big black nose in between, needless to say, I rolled over throwing my bow and arrows in the air, at the same time a deer was falling back wards on her ass and scrambling to get footage. The doe had come up to smell me and she got so close to my face I could feel the hot air from her nose on the part of my face that was not covered. Man, if I was ever going to have a heart attack, that was a prime time. It scared the bejeezzzeus out of me and the deer.
Great story. I like it.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #65

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

We have been to SD for pheasant hunting with our church group for several years. One guy named Charlie got everyones attention quickly by telling some of his whopper hunting tales, he was quickly coined the nickname 'dead eye'. According to his famous stories, he never missed, at any range! One year he brought up some some year old pointers that were from the 'best hunting stock this side of the Mississippi river', and was ready to turn them loose on the pheasants, no training needed of coarse. We begged him to keep them in the pen till we were sure they would hunt and obey, he was hard to convince, this was top of the line breeding and they were ready to go. Our guide said no and the rest of us asked to wait till we got back and see how they do around the fields by the house, he agreed. We went out for the hunt, he assisted in every kill and did not miss a bird. I was asked by the guide/farmer to no let him sit up front in the truck seat next to him. Once I missed my duty and Charlie grabbed shotgun, he went on to tell about how great Texas hunting was and his great shooting skills that killed many animals. Our guide was sick of TX stories and Charlie's whoppers, but they were funny. He to the guide his kill ratio for the last 4 years was about 85% of all the birds killed were by his gun, except last he was sure it was in the 90%+. We managed to get our limit and head back to the house for dinner. Charlie quickly went to check on his famous breed of pointers and turn them loose. I was watching with great curiosity, once he opened the pen, off to the races they went, straight down the dirt road, full speed!! Charlie called, hollered, whistled and cussed! He jumped in his truck and stomped the gas, and 2 hours later we see one of the dogs coming back following a combine! Charlie was able to get the other in the truck. Funny stuff!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #66

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Last year I took my daughter and son deer hunting, I told my daughter she could a deer 1st on youth hunting weekend and my son 2nd since she was the oldest. We pull up to my brother's house and we would walk down to my Cadillac stand. I was unloading gear and my son brought his sling shot for squirrels, I told gin to stand at the back of the truck and wait for me to get ready. We look up and see a young doe walking about 50 yds behind the truck, then we see mamma cross too! I still don't have any guns out yet as we just all stand there in awe. I finally get my hands on a gun case, I was getting ammo around and I hear a thunk! My son let a marble fly at the young deer. It just looked at the marble fall short and bounce. We made to the stand and shot at more squirrels with the sling shot. We did not see anymore deer that day. Good times tho!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #67

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I had recently got a new shotgun, and took it out pheasant hunting. I was walking this milo field when a pheasant comes up about 10-15 ft. in front of me. I got on the bird, fired, and split the bird into two pieces. When I got home that day I was thinking about why that happened, so while I was cleaning my gun I took out the choke I had hurriedly screwed in that morning. You can imagine how stupid I felt when I saw the word "FULL" on it.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #68

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Years back, hunting with an old LEO friend. We got out early to our new hunting spot I had picked. Figured we would sit in the cab of the truck for a couple of minutes, dig out the thermos, have a cup of coffee before starting out. I mentioned to partner this looked like a really good area for deer. Joking, he said "Bet there is not a buck within 5 miles of here."

WHUMP!

That was a six point buck running full tilt into partner's door. Now laying on the ground.

Partner looked at me, without a pause, said "But I could be wrong."
I was laying in bed at the fire station when i read this and it was hard for me to keep from waking up the other guys with my laughter. That's is awesome.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
This is my funny story. Its about my cousin. This would be our second year hunting crab orchard down by carbondale il. I was 15 second hunt I have been on. Since I didn't have a foid card yet I had to shoot beside my grandpa. Shot my first buck opening day. My cousin the next day was set up on the ground right outside of a onion field. He fell asleep about dawn break and woke up around 11. the first thing he saw was a buck. he manages to hit this deer and breaks his spine. He takes two more shots misses them both. Me and my uncle got a call from my cousin dating he hour a deer but ran out of shells. So we take off twards his spot. My cousin is out by the road when we get there. He grabs my uncles gun and takes off to kill the deer. Me and my uncle get the kart to wheel the deer back to the truck once we get to the deer we realized that he managed to hit the deer from about 400 yards away with a 2 3/4 12 ga slug from a smooth bore barrel while sitting on the ground! Every time we talk about that shot we say had to of pointed his gun up in the sky.
Did I tell ya'll bout the blue cat that got away......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #70

Liked 1293 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Check List Complete:

I scouted the area all summer
I searched out the best location for my tree-stand
I set it all up a month ahead of time
I trailed the herd
I picked out a trophy buck
Two days before opening day I rechecked every aspect of the hunt
Everything was in place
Sunday morning, I woke up at 2 am
I put on my camo, loaded my pack, set out for my stand
This was destined to be an epic hunt
As I approached my deer stand

I changed my mind, and decided to go to church instead.

untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Gatoragn; 12-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.
People Like This