Funny Hunting Stories.... - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Funny Hunting Stories....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Where you atttttttt........

Hunting in the swamps of La. can be dangerous. we were hunting on the levys with dogs when my brother decided to go through some marsh grass to another location, lo an behold he is hollerin for help. He had stepped inside a nutria slip, he had his shot gun across the slip and only his head was above water. I told him that he had to give me his gun or I would leave him there for the buzzards, just kidding. I killed 8 rabbits in front of those dogs with a single shot 20 gauge all inside of 2 min..... What a hunt.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #52

Several years ago I was scouting some property I had been given permission to turkey hunt on. It was private property and I was supposed to be the only one on it. I was a good 3/4 mile from the nearest road and was following a feeder creek. As I came around a small bluff and bend in the creek, less than 30 feet away were a guy and a girl laying on a blanket, doing the wild thing.

I stared for a minute and they never knew I was there. I backtracked about 50 yards and went around them. I don't know who they were or where they came from or how they got there. I did kill a nice gobbler on the property a few weeks later. Maybe they brought me good luck or maybe some turkeys saw what they were doing and got them in the mood, making my job easier.

1*

Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #53

Default hamburger deer

So I take this buddy of mine hunting for deer, he's a vet and hasn't had an oppertunity to hunt for the last 3-4 years " sad story, I know" but the guys pretty funny and fun tto be around so I know it would be good times.
So we go out to my cousins place on a nice wooded hillside where I've been chasing this whopper whitetail buck, a heavy framed 4x4 with split brow tines and a body approaching 250 Lbs.. This deer has a method of escape that scares me every time, it lays in the thick until I get close or just past, then he launches out like a rocket and blazes down hill through the trees. I about crap my pants everytime.
So after telling my story on the way out, we head up the hill picking our way to a nice sit spot. My buddy spots the rocket laid down on a bench just to our right half way up the hill and we get low and move up to get a clean shot. As my buddy gets a sight picture a doe spots us and stands up and blows. The buck jumps up and my buddy shoots, the rocket hits the ground then gets up and runs down the hill. We watch as this deer runs obviously hit hard and we're expecting it to drop. We loose sight of it and seconds later we hear squeeling brakes and a collision down on the road! My buddy yells no! And we head down hill at a jog.. as we get to the road below the carnage is amazing. A semi-truck had pasted the rocket all over the road. Antlers broken, limbs twisted, hide tore up, radiator steaming metal crumpled, a complete mess.. the driver is out and says "it jumped right out in front of me".. My buddy always quick, said "ya we heard the wreck from up there, you want us to help load up your deer"? Driver says " you guys think its any good"? And we're saying " sure it'll make good hamburger".. so we load it up into his trailer and head back to my truck.
Now everytime I see my buddy I say "hamburger" and he laughs.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #54

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Years ago when fox skins were worth around $30-50 each my b-i-l ,mate and I would head out spotlighting to try and make a few $$$'s on the side with the skins.
On this particular night we get out to the property and after meeting the farmer and a quick chat we set up and head off into the paddocks to thin the foxes out.
The way we operate was 1 drives,1 uses the spotlight and last man shoots and the driver is the gopher and takes a length of thick electrical cable about 2' in length and about 1-2" thick(The Quiet Deceiver) for despatching any wounded foxes with a tap on the head.
As it worked out my b-i-l was the driver/gopher,my mate was the spotlighter and I was the man with my REM 788 .222 loaded with 45gn Speer SP pills.
After about 2 hours we had a couple of headshot foxes on board and it was starting to get fairly cold as a heavy frost was starting to settle when a pair of Orange eyes lit up in the light,"FOX!" yells my mate and as we were on the side of a hill on a dirt track and the fox was about 50 yds out sitting on the side of the track getting a bit edgy I tapped on the roof of the 4wd and the b-i-l stops.
I quickly line up the Fox's head in the 'scope and let drive at him and a solid "Whack" tells us that the fox is down and out or so we thought as the fox goes down and then starts to get up.

The b-i-l flys out of the 4wd with The Quiet Deceiver in his hand and races up to the fox.
Now this is where it gets "interesting" as we're parked on the side of a steep hill and the fox is now starting to slip down the hill and as the b-i-l gets to the fox he raises the Quiet Deceiver to deliver the final blow when he goes A over T as he slips on the frosty grass and then both he and the fox are both sliding down the hill with the fox snapping at the b-i-l and the b-i-l trying to belt the fox over the head.
About this stage of the scene the mate and I notice an electric fence at the bottom of the hill and the b-i-l and the fox were heading straight for it and we couldn't do a thing about it except stand there and watch as the b-i-l and the fox still going at each other hit the fence together,"CRACK" and the b-i-l let out what could only be described as a girlish scream and the fox let out a long "YIPE".
The mate and I were reduced to tears at this stage as the b-i-l sort of stood up and finished the now stunned fox off and started to stumble back up the hill looking like a cowboy that had just spent 4 days in the saddle without getting off and not happy,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #55

This is a related to hunting story. My father and I used to travel all over the southeast when I was younger and playing in golf tourneys. We were just outside of Gainesville Florida when we passed a sign for the "Fred Bear Museum". My father got all excited and said we had to go. Now I think I was like 12 at the time and I had no idea who Fred Bear was. We went to the museum which was pretty amazing. I'm sure most of you know who he is but just in case, he killed every animal imaginable with an old style wooden bow. They had some absolutely amazing pictures of him just feet away from animals like brown bears and cape buffalo, along with many,many trophies. It was something I will always remember. Later that day we were eating lunch and I was thinking to myself about all those animals that he had killed. I look over at my dad and say, "Hey dad why do they call him Fred Bear?". My dad looks over at me dumbfounded and within seconds is just crying he is laughing so hard. He can't even get it out of his mouth that that was the man's real name. That may be one of those you had to be there to think it's funny things, but my father and I will always remember that and he will still look at me from time to time and ask me "hey matt why do they call him Fred Bear?"

Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #56
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8495

I missed the 2005 deer season here in wester NY due to needing to have half of my left foot removed but, I still have a hunting story from that year. I was transfered to erie county medical center for surgery when I met my roomate, Dan. He was in due to the following incident.
ON opening day of bow season he saw a large 12 point coming down a trail that was out of range for all of his three stands. He left and came back two days later,this time bringing along his climbing stand. Picked out a tree, set up, and climbed into position. Sure enough, the buck comes right down the trail and stops 25 yards out in a perfect broadside. Dan clicked on his release, drew, and took aim. All of the sudden, creak! The stand shifts down, he asdjusts and fires. Double lung,perfect shot. At the same moment down goes Dan and the stand. He recovers the deer, loads his gear, And heads for home. Gets back to the house, his wife sees him coughing up blood and takes him to ecmc. Punctured right lung, two broken ribs, and a broken tree stand, $$$$! 12 point mount andthe story behind it? PRICELESS!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #57

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

My maternal grandfather (best friend in the whole world, may he rest in peace) and I were scouting out the area we would be hunting in Gladwin MI on a piece of state land. It was the day before opening day of deer season, and he and I were in my old K5 Blazer. I was carrying a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum, even in those days Michigan allowed officers from other states to carry.

Anyway...we drove past a couple of guys who were out doing the same thing we were. They were out of their truck, so we stopped and passed the time for a minute or so.

We got back into the Blazer and headed deeper into the woods.

My grandpa, being just as twisted as I asked me to fire my revolver. I knew the area we were in and no one was close by, so I let six rounds rip into an old stump that sat in front of a tall berm.

I wasn't sure what he was trying to accomplish...but he jumped into the BACK of the Blazer and said "Let's go!"

I did as I was told, and he got way down low and covered himself up with a blanket so it looked as though I was alone in the Blazer when we passed the two fellers we had previously talked to.

Of course by this time, my keen cop mind had caught onto his plan! As I drove by the guys, I covered my gace and accelerated away from them.

They looked at me with a puzzled, then startled look on their faces as I poured the coals to it.

In my rear view, I saw them jump into their truck and take off in the direction from which we had just come!

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
wolfdog,
Your story is a funny one indeed.
This topic isn't just limited to funny turkey hunting stories, but all funny hunting stories in general. I just started with a turkey story because it was the one that came to mind the quickest. So please tell one of your funny deer hunting stories.

With all the hunters on this board I thought this would be a big success.
The property where I hunt had a very big deer population , so big that the owner had me shoot as many deer as I could , shoot every thing you see was his instruction .. Now I had been shooting there for about 18 months and had dveveloped into a very good shot , my best tally was 8 out of 9 at moving deer just on dark , all between 75 and 100 yards away , and did I brag about it for some days , until on this morning when I was hunting amongst some low hills , maybe 8 or 9 feet high when I spotted a hind which I shot , then ran to the top of the nearest hill to see if there were any others which would have been hidden .. Well there he was a stag just standing there say 40 yards away ,I swung onto him and let go , he responded by standing still looking at the pampas grass ,so I fired again same result , so I went closer and saw that his horns were entangled in the pampas grass and he could not move away , poor soul was so skinny he must have been there for a long time ,but tied up couldn't move , and I had missed him at 40 yards not once but twice .. It don't do to get big headed ,and a string of hits don't mean you are the best shot in the world .. Ego now under control ..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #59
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8495

Thank you AZL! My computer just got a bath! Your grandfather was a twisted individual, and it would have been an honor to meet him.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #60
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7318 Times on 4402 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinnz View Post
The property where I hunt had a very big deer population , so big that the owner had me shoot as many deer as I could , shoot every thing you see was his instruction .. Now I had been shooting there for about 18 months and had dveveloped into a very good shot , my best tally was 8 out of 9 at moving deer just on dark , all between 75 and 100 yards away , and did I brag about it for some days , until on this morning when I was hunting amongst some low hills , maybe 8 or 9 feet high when I spotted a hind which I shot , then ran to the top of the nearest hill to see if there were any others which would have been hidden .. Well there he was a stag just standing there say 40 yards away ,I swung onto him and let go , he responded by standing still looking at the pampas grass ,so I fired again same result , so I went closer and saw that his horns were entangled in the pampas grass and he could not move away , poor soul was so skinny he must have been there for a long time ,but tied up couldn't move , and I had missed him at 40 yards not once but twice .. It don't do to get big headed ,and a string of hits don't mean you are the best shot in the world .. Ego now under control ..
Okay, so did you put him out of his misery or did you free him?