Funny Hunting Stories.... - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Funny Hunting Stories....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Me and my 3 brothers ( we all where young )where sitting on the back porch killing frogs with our air rifles . ( 3 of us where shooting and 1of us is using the spotter scope ) My youngst brother 9 was doing the spotting then yells goess. We all looked at him wierd, then he says big gessy is in the soy field . So look over there in my scope and i see a freackin emu . I tell him its a emu and the next oldest brother says somthing smart butt about emo being people who cut them self's . We agured about it being emo or emu for a good minute then the youngest brother said we should kill the big chicken and eat it . I knew there was a emu farmer down the road , so i rode my bike down and talked too him at his farm and he said it was not his and that some other bone head lost his farm and let all them all go , he said i should kill it cuz its been causing him problems . I said sure what ever , went back told my brothers what was going on , then i called my dad at work to see how i should kill it . He said use the 20 ga try too blow his head off . So got off the phone and the emu went from the soy bean field to the corn field and the corn was up so we me and the youngst ran in the the corn field too try to find it with the 20 ga and a bug knife , i got about a 100 feet in and fell in this freackin 6 foot deep hole that was just in the middle of the field . So i got out of the hole and left the corn and on the back home through the soy field and ran in too a badger . Ya it was a wierd day that day .

Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #42

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Emu

Well I thought I had heard it all. I have run into a lot of varmints in the woods but that one tops them all. Did you get the big bird?
Sarge

Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #43
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

Hunting elk in Washington a shot rings out and a bull elk comes tumbling down the steep wooded hill. It lands at the feet of an old hunter. The old hunter looks at it for a few seconds and yells "Who Shot This Cow?" No one answered so he tagged it.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

While I was stationed up in Alaska I went Moose hunting with some civilians I knew. They wanted to teach a young airman about hunting. We were walking down a game trail when we spotted a bull moose. The man in front threw up his rifle and jacked out every round without firing a shot. No one else could get a shot and the moose took off down the trail. I think we were laughing too hard. The trail made a sharp left turn and broke into a small clearing. We heard a big comotion, some bellows, screams and then a shot. We got to the clearing and there was the moose tangled up in what was left of an old army style tent. There were 2 hunters sitting on stumps in their long johns. One had a rifle accross his lap and both were staring in shock at the dead moose. We did not say anything but kept going. I believe they were in the tent when the moose ran into it.
I did shoot a moose up there but not on that hunt.

Note: That was my 1st hunt. I got my moose when I connected with someone who knew what he was doing. I think people took me hunting because they knew they would get the meat if I shot something. The Airforce was the 1st time I had ever handled or fired a weapon and the training was not much. I became addicted to shooting.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-23-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was sitting on my front porch last year,about late fall.Just had a long sleeve shirt on,enjoying the peace.Then came a few does and a 6 point buck trotting along.No one else was around,i figured 'why not'.I had my .223 AR with me like always,so i shot the big boy in the head.I didnt realize what i did until a few minutes later."Oh crap,i shot a deer in the head from my porch."

I havnt shot any deer from my porch since then,but i did enjoy a ground roasted shoulder.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.
BornToHunt Likes This 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #46

I dont know if any of you fellers have ever been prairie dog hunting, but it is about the goriest activity you will participate in. Just using small varmint rounds (22 ppc personally) you are guaranteed to send these little ****s flying one way, their guts the other way. On one occasion i flung one of these bastards so high he came back down and was hanging on the fence he had holed up under.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #47

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrack2 View Post
I dont know if any of you fellers have ever been prairie dog hunting, but it is about the goriest activity you will participate in. Just using small varmint rounds (22 ppc personally) you are guaranteed to send these little ****s flying one way, their guts the other way. On one occasion i flung one of these bastards so high he came back down and was hanging on the fence he had holed up under.
Varmint Hunting Video - Prairie Dog Be Gone

I's loves mes some varmint blasting.

I am going to go to SD in the next few years and get a week of camping and blasting in if it kills me.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

One night I was gigging frogs in a slough outside of Sacramento. We would wade around in the water with a flashlight and a gig on a 12 foot pole. My new rechargeable Maglight had run down its battery so I was wading back to get another one out of the truck. I see a wake in the water heading towards me in the starlight so I get the gig ready thinking it was a frog and waiting to turn on my flashlight (those rechargeables will give you a few seconds of good light when the battery is down) and the wake gets bigger and bigger as it gets closer and closer. When it was about in range of my gig pole I turn on the light and a dadgum muskrat the size of a Spaniel rears up out of the water, I yelled and I believe the muskrat screamed as he flipped over and swam away as fast as he could. Scared the bejeebers out of both of us for a second. My buddy who was up around the bend thought I was being murdered but I was laughing so hard I couldn't answer him when he hollered out if I was OK. He fell in the water trying to get to me to help me out but he was laughing hard too when I told him what happened. I still chuckle when I think of that night.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #49

Default Coon hunting- Rufus Trees a Possum.

When i was about 14 my great uncle took me and my cousin coon hunting. This was shake out season.... no guns allowed. The idea is that your dogs get a coon up a tree and you climb up and "shake him out" for the dogs to fight, thereby training the younger dogs to learn what they are after.

My Uncle was getting to age that he couldn't walk up the hills so he told us to go after it when the dogs treed way off in the distance. The dogs were lead by a blue tick hound named Old Rufus. Rufus was as my uncle put it.. "the greatest coon dog in Kentucky" When he went to balling- there was a coon. And that night we waited for Rufus to give us the signal then were told to "go shake 'em out!"

We took off running at first but slowed as we climbed. The only light we had was a coon light (miners style) that attached to a hard hat. My uncle's only one. One that he no doubt save years for to buy. He make suire we knew how important that light was, how expensive and how old it was. I was an honor to be the guy to wear it.

We climbed for what seemed forever straight up a ridge. We finally get to the tree and sitting on the first limb was a big fat 'possum about 15 ft up. I suppose i don't need to tell most of you hunters out there that when you go for coons and you tree 'possums it's a not a good thing and something that me and my cousin decided we just wasn't going to tell our Uncle, not only be cause it would be a rough night for the dog, but we just didn't want to shame his prize dog or hurt any feelings.

Anyway, My cousin "Big Ira" decides that it's the 'possum's fault we walked all that way and must pay. He reaches down and lifts up a cider stump about the size of a loaf of bread. He walks around to the upper side intent that we will never again tree THIS 'possum. I stand just opposite on the lower side of the tree and keep the spot on the target. With a loud grunt and stumbling around in the leaves Big Ira hurls the chunk of wood into the air. ARRGGHHH Rustle SWOOOSH I see the stump raise up into the darkness flying just over the 'possum and in a split second i loose it in the darkness but still trained on the 'opossum.

When i came too my cousin was in tears over me thinking he had killed me. I had a large cut on the bridge of my nose, a massive head ache and the makings of 2 black eyes that were quickly swelling. The ONLY thing that died was my uncle's coon light. It laid in pieces beside me.

20 years later we still have not told him his dog treed a possum that night. I just fell into a creek and hit my face on a rock. Also, to this day, Rufus is still talked about as the "greatest coon dog to live in henry county" and was surely "worth thousands." My uncle laughs about how i looked like a coon with my black eyes back then. Sometimes i want to say, i was the closest thing to coon any of us had seen that night.

Charlie Thompson
Lockport Kentucky

Last edited by cthompson79852; 07-15-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #50

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Coon hunting

Great story! It is stories like that we remember forever. And tell our kids about that hunt. I remember my Uncle telling stories on the front porch during big family gatherings such as 4th of July, Labor day etc. Then each of the brothers would try to out do the others with a story. That was the way it was in my day, passing on the history of our family with stories.
Sarge
Sarge
BornToHunt Likes This